1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

Real close up of the shirt that Stitchie HATES lol
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

^ Definitely not an end-on-end or royal oxford, each of which I think would have been preferable.

3. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it would be sold as a microhoundstooth pattern.

Let's say we're not constrained by CBD as Rudals is. Could we go with a small check with that tie and (assume navy blazer)? If so, how large the checks? Graph check or Tattersall?

4. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

id say small single color graph check. one that would be essentially blue from a distance.

5. TweedyProf

2 people like this.
  6. TweedyProf

That's what I was thinking, although the check would have to be smaller to resolve to a blue from a distance, yes? Large checks wouldn't do this, I think.

7. in stitches

yup, a small check it would be!

also, that dog PS is cool.

8. TweedyProf

You going to KOP? I'm vaguely tempted but not sure this is the navy/beige square I'm looking for (the wool/silk is nice though, my favorite PS fabric). Silk/linen might be a nice mix too.

9. in stitches

sadly no, because i have literally no money. also, i have a very similarly color schemed drakes PS, just a different design. and folded up, they would really accomplish pretty much the same for me. im not a PS whore like am a tie whore. yet.

1 person likes this.
  10. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

Interesting. I don't know that I've thought about that before. I think I have that going on today... Well, it not "subtracting" is definitely subjective.

[​IMG]

11. in stitches

12. TweedyProf

Does anyone have a fit pick of a small graph check shirt? I'm thinking that to resolve to a light blue, you'd want the graphs to be on the darker side of blue? Trying to calibrate both size of check and the blue color that is ideal. Treat this as the next exercise, and I'm the subject!

The current verdict on Rudals's shirt, at least among those who disliked the shirt (sorry Rudals) is that it is too busy relative to say an end-on-end or oxford. On pattern: one level too high (cf. end-on-end) and not high enough in another (cf. tattersall, graph check). The issue is alternating "square" patterns, from points to large checks.

JR: on checks, those are just too large. So sorry, do not like the tie either.

13. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

It's all good. I appreciate the insight no matter what. The Jacket is SS Havana. I really like how it's unstructured. It's my only US Coat and it just has a great feel to it. I'm thinking about ditching the Shirt as it is pretty casual and doesn't fit me well. The tie, yeah...It's shiny. I like the brown and blue in it but not the shininess.

2 people like this.
  14. in stitches

here are the two i have, in one the graph is on the darker side, essentially a navy, the other is lighter blue and a larger check, but still on the smaller side id say.

apologies for the turrble pic quality in the first pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. TweedyProf

Stitches, thanks. I'm leaning to the darker navy check and perhaps on the smaller scale as in the first shirt.

Do you have a preference between the two shirts. That is a gutsy pink tie, my friend. I think it came up when Monkeyface was debating on the pink drake's cashmere...you sold it didn't you? Wonder if he ever picked it up.
    The olive grossa is nice...still saving up for a grenadine from Hober...will take a while [​IMG].

16. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. in stitches

my pleasure!

hard to say i have a preference as they really serve me better in different settings. the darker smaller check is really a much dressier shirt and is well served with suits or SCs and ties, while the lighter larger check is usually used as a more casual shirt, with a sweater or SC no tie, or by itself. i try and make sure all my more casual shirts are BD to give them more versatility in wearing them without a tie. i lament all my non tie shirts that are not BD.

i think the lighter larger check is a prettier shirt, but the other is better for things more formal.

and yup, that tie is the ish and i miss it dearly. not sure who landed it when spoo sold it for me.

get the hober!!!! i wear mine often.

18. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

Anyone (but JRD) know of a good YouTube video that shows how to pack a suit to minimize the damage of wrinkles during a 15 hour flight?!
    I believe I will have to wear it as soon as I land to "officially" propose then at the wedding. Same suit but different shirt and tie.

19. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  20. in stitches

push one shoulder inside out and fold that shoulder into the other, then fold jacket in half. hang pants upside down holding the cuffs and pinch the creases then fold pants in half, and then again. wrap it all up in a dry cleaners plastic. pad it with clothing on top and on bottom.

good to go.

and thats a nice shoe.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.