1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly there's precedent for that in this thread … [​IMG]

Cheers,

Ac

3 people like this.
  2. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

I'm imagining a lot of Mumford & Sons on the dancefloor. :-/

Maybe tell them "if money is an issue, let's skip the vest". If that does't work, tell them the groomsmen should really be a backdrop to the bride. Those flashy vests and ties are totally gonna upstage her.

3. mdancel

mdancel Well-Known Member

Yeah, sounds dumb I know. I thought the jacket fit when looking in the mirror, with the pics wasn't quite sure so posted it up before keeping the other suits.

4. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

It looks fine to me anyway, for that price, as a wardrobe builder. I tend to find suit supply buttoning points a little bit low for my personal taste (makes jackets even shorter, as they tend already to be a bit short) but it's certainly within realm of reason.

5. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Good observation. And exactly why I never embraced SF's predilection for really low buttoning jackets. That probably was a reaction to the ridiculously high buttoning jackets from a few years ago (also by Suit Supply!), but as always, there's a happy medium.

6. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

What does a SFer do in Barcelona? Romance, food and famous attractions are taken as read. And BFC are playing away that weekend.

Any good shoe shops?

7. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

I believe Cuberta is in Barca? He makes some seriously sexy kicks.

8. justridiculous

justridiculous Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, Carmina has a shop in Barcelona. My wife and I loved it there. Antoni Gaudi's architecture, good cafes/restaurants, the beach, on and on. Get an Air BNB in an old neighborhood, walk around a lot. Get seafood at the beach. There's also some good record shopping, if you're into that. Make sure to go to a tea shop called Salterio; great tea, relaxed vibe, good music.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  9. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

It's kind of a special occasion so I got us this instead. But we're really looking forward to the food.

Thanks for the reminder on Carmina - one of my favourites. Which puts me in mind of a piece of advice to share with Noodlers: once you have a basic minimum standard of quality, there is nothing more important in a shoe than how well a particular last fits you. Better a $200 AE second that fits, than a $1500 EG that doesn't. I am reminded of this because I get on particularly well with Carmina's "Rain". I feel treat coming on. :)

Cuberta looks awesome - first time I've heard of him.

Edit: Barcelona seems to have disappeared from Carmina's store locator - is it still there?!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  10. justridiculous

justridiculous Well-Known Member

Agreed about the last. As for Carmina's store, here's what a Google search turned up:

[​IMG]

Should still be there. Even if it isn't, it's a nice neighborhood to walk around.

11. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

not related to Barca, but does anybody have thoughts on boxcloth braces? I can't tell if I like them, or absolutely hate them. I like I'll always prefer barathea for their lack of weight, but I do love the visual appeal of boxcloth for when the colder months roll around...

12. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

I'm wearing boxcloth today. Wore barathea yesterday. I don't notice a tremendous difference.

1 person likes this.
  13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Yeah, the differences are imperceptible to me as worn.

14. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

I don't notice difference, but it does feel better putting it on if it seems to match.

15. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

You've got to visit Norman Vilalta. A true shoe artist and overall great guy.

1 person likes this.
  16. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Thanks - found him via The Shoe Snob - added to the Google pins!

17. vriche

vriche Well-Known Member

Do any of you guys know where I can find a Purple 9 cm Neat tie in either Wool Challis or Madder?

18. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Have you looked at Sam Hober or E.G. Cappelli?

19. vriche

vriche Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've been stalking the Cappelli site for updates and I checked Sam Hober out yesterday and no luck.

20. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Well-Known Member