1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

Yes, always consider the bystandar. TPO.
    TPO? Is that actual English or something we made up here?
    It stands for Time, Place, Occasion. Mind the context.

2. Gavinband

Gavinband Well-Known Member

Gents

Would you be annoyed if your bespoke trousers had been made with belt loops instead of side adjusters? By bespoke I mean proper bespoke and not mtm (only mention for difference in price point and hence maybe differing views). Obvious from the question it has happened to me.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  3. yanagi

yanagi Well-Known Member

Yes if I asked for side adjusters and not belt loops.

4. Gavinband

Yes, I did. Assuming the trousers cannot be changed either and really not sure if it would justify the remake of what is otherwise a great fitting pair of trousers.

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

If it's bespoke they should have the patterns saved for you. Which means no problem in making another pair of trousers that fit the same. I would have no qualms at all about contacting the maker and asking that they make things right. What is the point of bespoke if you don't get what you want?

6. Gavinband

True...... And yes my pattern is saved as its not my first suit from them.

7. Caustic Man

If you are a repeat customer then I would hope they would be even more willing to correct the situation.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

The most important in requesting a re-make isn't whether they're exactly the way you asked, but rather if you really care if they have belt loops or side tabs. If it's important to you, then they should be able to remove belt loops and make side tabs out of scraps of fabrics left from the cutting process.

If you don't really care that much, just make sure they know there was a mistake, and enjoy your pants.

I don't see the point of making them pay for a mistake if it isn't of any importance to you. Picking one's battles is as important as fighting them.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    12 people like this.
  9. Caustic Man

So, if you don't care then don't bother getting them replaced/fixed? I think that goes without saying.

10. Gavinband

Completely get all the points, but I have posted here as I do care and just wanted to get a general vibe. I will discuss with them and I am sure they will do whatever I ask. As I said, just wanted to "ask the audience" what they would do.

1 person likes this.
  11. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

It does not go without saying, as experience attests. It goes better saying it.

1 person likes this.
  12. Caustic Man

13. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Well-Known Member

Caustic,

I value @gdl203's input. It is unique as a consumer and a vendor. If you insist on being a douche bag to the occasional newbie, I can begrudgingly tolerate that, but when you go after one of the more informed posters here everytime he posts his opinion, whether it be navy odd trousers or tailoring mistakes, it bothers me. I don't want Greg to stop posting and I fear your asinine comments might negatively influence his interest in sharing his point of view. To state the obvious, I am a lot more interested in his opinion that yours.

8 people like this.
  14. Caustic Man

I guess I'll just have to live with that.

15. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

You should block him, which is what I've long since done.

16. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Not to mention, for better or for worse, the tailor-customer relationship is a bit more complex than that of a normal retailer and his customer. If it is a superficial mistake of little consequence, it might be better for the relationship to simply let it slide. I'm sure the tailor probably would appreciate it.

17. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

In clothing more than in many things, if you wish to find reasons for disappointment, you will find them. I don't own one single perfect garment, but if I don't care about the flaws of an item as much as I like what it offers, I either fix the flaws or let them slide. When that calculus changes or when the balance goes the other way, I part with the item.

I guess that makes me a settler or what some psychology literature would call a "satisficer."

1 person likes this.
  18. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I'm much more interested in a debate about Caustic's douchebaggery than I am in a discussion of minor failings in a bespoke garment.

I doubt that Greg was offended, but I'm fascinated by the fact that others were.

A bit of cut and thrust is not a bad thing on a forum-based website. Have at it, gentlemen.

19. Caustic Man

It's all part of the game. Being the bad guy is a lot more fun that being the good guy.

20. AdidaSuit

AdidaSuit Active Member

Eventually, the bad guys all end up getting killed. Ramsey Bolton being the latest.