1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I think my last post, and then Cox's above, just show how fit is vastly different for different people!

After talking about it, I went to check KW's site again and their stuff seems to fit way slimmer than SS as standard. How did you work it out with the trial suit?

2. CaptainTohm

CaptainTohm Well-Known Member

The trial suit was actually comparable to my Havana jackets in terms of sizing. It was way too short also, so I added roughly an inch and a half to the length, and dropped the buttoning point. We'll see how it turned out soon!

3. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

How was the shoulde compared to the Havana?

4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

You can change the shoulder..

5. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

If you're looking at the Jort/La Spalla range, I'd definitely say give KW a try. If you're looking for a 2 piece, you can get VERY nice quality cloth made up MTM for less than you'd pay for OTR SS.

6. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

7. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

8. sebastian mcfox

I would also have to factor in KW's exhoberant international shipping fees, plus the international return fee, if I wanted to test the trial suit. I would probably be looking at +$300 at least

9. ericgereghty

Ah, ya, that is tough. Perhaps, if you're looking to buy a few, inquire and see if shipping might be reduced/waived in such a case?

10. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

Sebastian,

What about B&T? Or do they charge as if they're in Seoul but Joe just happens to be in AUS?

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  11. ericgereghty

I believe the goal of these suits was to be more economical than Formosa...

4 people like this.
  12. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

Anyone know the current price of P. Johnson MTM? Phat Guido got really nice results from them.

Might be an option for you, S McF.

2 people like this.
  13. masaccio

masaccio Well-Known Member

Weren't all of PG's suits from P. Johnson bespoke?

14. sebastian mcfox

A whole wardrobe of B&T would be rad, but I'd also be living in that wardrobe.

I can't get over P Johnson's styling and house cut - it's awful.

4 people like this.
  15. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

I think he used whatever program they have, which now that I've looked at it again seems like a bit of a hybrid, so "custom" might be the best description. But I only know what I read on the interwebs.

Just looked at the P Johnsons thread and saw that you already asked about it. Did you dislike all of their work? Seems like different people got different results.

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

There's a lot of the talk about "bespoke" in the Australian media concerning P.Johnson but they are really made-to-order. There are certain things that you can change but other things that you can't change in their designs. When you go in for a fitting (at least when they're doing a trunk show) they'll put you in an existing suit of theirs in your usual size and then make notes as to the adjustments that it needs, so I certainly wouldn't call it bespoke.

I haven't used P.Johnson but, as far as I'm aware, they're willing to make certain changes to their suits but, as with various other places such as some firms on Savile Row, if you don't like the house style then you're better off going elsewhere to find a style that suits your preferences.

1 person likes this.
  17. flvinny521

flvinny521 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

I am considering two Spier & Mackay suits as a budget-friendly way to increase my wardrobe. So far, the only suits I own and consider acceptable are a solid charcoal Corneliani and navy SuitSupply. Which of these would be the most appropriate/versatile two for a banking/wealth management type job? (Or at least, are any of them terribly wrong in that context?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. aglose

aglose Well-Known Member

I would say the medium grey and the blue grey solid would be the best for a financial management profession. I'm also a big fan of Spier and Mackay. Ordered two MTM suits and would even suggest @The Noodles maybe give them a shot. Hard to beat the Minnis fresco cloth at $750 CAD which converts roughly to $600 USD. But, as always, it is up to you.

1 person likes this.
  19. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

Based on how they look on my phone, anything but the last two would be totally fine.

20. flvinny521

flvinny521 Well-Known Member

Thank you for weighing in. I haven't bought any suits from them yet; I'm hoping the cut will work for me.

The Steel Blue I completely understand, and honestly, I'm not sure why I even included it, but what about the Marine Blue seems inappropriate?