1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

I really like my Viccel and have nothing but good things to say about them.

2. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I have some Pantharella too. My only dislike with them is that they have very few options that are fully natural. I'm a bit fussy in my hot climate about having all natural fibres. They've lasted well though. I'd take MCR as I said, or blacksocks.com for bulletproof staples - they really are excellent value. Bresciani are good too, but I find their OTCs are every so slightly too short to stay up over my calves.

Viccel look like fantastic value. I found their colours looked a bit synthetic and mine wore out, but to be fair, I bought the super lightweight ones. I would happily try their stronger ones at that price - and service was excellent. @KemalOnyurt seems like a very helpful and straight guy.

3. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

With no offense intended, I'd be curious to know how folks that get holes, especially those that occur quickly, treat their socks.

From my experience, I have never gotten a hole in any sock, regardless of quality, and I treat mine pretty terribly (heavy wash + dryer).

4. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

I think it has to do with personal hygiene (nails)

Ive put holes in socks near the ankles and stuff where the seams are stressed

5. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

That would make sense. I'm a chronic picker (thankfully not the nose lol), so it is extremely rare that my nails, be it fingers and feets (no need to grammar check me anyone, I know ha), are anything but too short at any given time.

6. aglose

aglose Well-Known Member

I've noticed if your feet are dry you can sometimes get pulls in the back of the calf when it drags over the heel. I live in Colorado, so the dryness is a particular problem here. The way around it is not pulling the entire sock up but bunching it up before you put it on then start at the toes and slide it on that way. I'm not sure if that's how everyone does it, but it seems to put less stress on the sock as a whole.

7. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

I have a narrow foot, and it's hard to find perfectly fitting dress shoes. Having your foot move around when you walk wears socks as they rub the seams of your leather sock liner.

8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Or just walking around the house in your socks because you're too lazy to go and get your slippers. Anyway, maybe enough foot hygiene sharing.
    [​IMG]

I have a question, Noodlers:

If I want to buy my better half some nice welted shoes, I know she likes some of the more girly and colourful versions of brogued oxfords made by Church's or Cheaney (above). But they're pretty hard to find on sale, and frankly I'm not paying full price or anything near it for something I'm not sure she'll wear a lot, or might decide are uncomfortable and not for her.

So, what are my other options for ladies' shoes in classic men's styles? Has to be leather/suede, has to be decent construction (no glued lookalikes), leather or rubber sole is OK. And she seems to like brogues.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  9. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

Not using a shoe horn is probably the single most common cause of heel wear.

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  10. aglose

aglose Well-Known Member

Have you looked at Carminas? They have some on sale that are in the $250 range, so not a huge loss if she doesn't like them, and I think they would take them back if they aren't comfortable, provided the soles haven't been scuffed. Have her wear them on carpet for a few days before taking them out and the soles should be fine to return if need be.

Edit to add: looks like the number is $297 so a bit more expensive than I thought. Still good value in my opinion, especially given their return policy.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  11. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Ha! Silly me; I forgot Carmina do ladies' stuff - and I love my Carmina shoes and so does she!

Nothing in the sale in the right style or her size, but it's a step down in price from Church's, so moving the right way. Thanks.

12. MrTRC

MrTRC Well-Known Member

Socks develop holes for different reasons - and i baby my OTC socks of which i have over 60 pairs.

I have had socks develop holes within the first minute i put them on and have some that have lasted over five years.

Such is the nature.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

The holes I get are on the bottom of my heel. It doesn't happen with every sock, but if it does that's where it happens.

14. Bowball

Bowball Well-Known Member

On that note, I was curious to know how many people wear OTC socks and in what situations. Is it more a formal wear thing or do people wear them with chinos/linen as well?

15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

All my dress socks are OTC. Again, they're socks - I wear what I find comfortable, it's not a question of formality.

1 person likes this.
  16. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Over the calf with anything other than workout gear. I see no reason to not wear over the calf, unless you like your socks falling down and showing off bare skin between your socks and trousers when seated.

1 person likes this.
  17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I wear OTC any time I'm wearing proper trousers. I have quite large calves so I find they catch and pull down if I'm wearing more tapered chinos, or jeans because they're heavier. Either way, that tends to add up to OTCs for smarter clothes and mid calf for very casual days so it works just fine for me.

Also...

Any more ideas on ladies GY/quality shoes, please?

At 340 Euros + within the EU, Carmina are still a bit pricey for an experiment, and they don't do ladies' oxfords. Septieme Largeur have one, but only for their patina service so the price comes back up again. Shoepassion have a few but not many low-heeled man shoe equivalents (one below). It's a pity AE stopped doing MTO for girly colour options, and don't seem to do a US 5.5 any more (which by my estimation would be like a US ladies' 7.5, UK 4.5, Euro 37.5, i.e. Her Highness's size). A couple in the Shoe Bank but too butch.

[​IMG]

There must be more. Help?

18. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

Currently switching out all socks for otc. They're just so much more comfy + I hate when I get skin showing between trouser hems and socks.

2 people like this.
  19. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

My otc get caught on my trouser leg. It's pretty annoying and so I've switched to mid calf. My pantherellas don't slide down.

1 person likes this.
  20. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

Agreed. My (cheap) OTCs make my slimmer trousers bunch behind/below the knee and make the drape really goofy.