1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

I use HJ Hall and they're fine compared to the nicer ones I've used. I think people just don't see them and they wear out faster than other items that getting the nicest socks is much more a luxury than the nicest shoes and ties.

If you like and can afford that's great but I don't think noodles is wrong to suggest they are an above-the-usual level of luxury.

I find men's invisible socks too big (UK8) so I wear women's,

2. Isolation

The yarn averages 13 microns in diameter tho?!!! That's a sure sign of quality.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Picture this, though: business lunch, Japanese restaurant, super swanky - and traditional.

Dr Uberballer slips off his bespoke Churchills to reveal...his gossamer and unicorn pube OTCs, and the legend "Tom Ford". The slightest breeze of frankincense and excellence seems to permeate the room.

Noodles eventually breaks the laces on his C&Js in frustration, using the now useless nib of his favourite Mickey Mouse Club edition Montblanc, after having foolishly stapled said laces into a double four in hand earlier in the day, in response to a cool Instagram post that turned out to be satirical. Sweating slightly, he reveals his soiled fluffy Target gym socks. A hush falls, the principal guest blushes, tears well in the Noodles. Dr Uberballer finally relieves the tension, with a calm "shall we, gentlemen..."

I don't have any $75 socks. My most expensive are about half that. But I do rotate many pairs of quality cotton or merino OTC socks as regular work wear. Of course nobody knows, usually. But I know. And I like that feeling.

This is Styleforum. Buying better is OK.

3 people like this.
  4. Isolation

I think it's okay if you can tell the difference but I haven't really even with my cashmere ones.

5. Emilsingh

Emilsingh Active Member

Not exactly CM and slightly off topic, but I have a pair of socks made from camel and yack wool from Mongolia which always keep my feet toasty around the house.

2 people like this.
  6. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Socks of distinction. "Actually, they're camel and Mongolian yak...". I like that a lot.

7. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Nice story @mimo.
    I got 5 pairs of this for $9.99 from Macy's. But forgot to get shoes...

1 person likes this.
  8. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

I like the Mazarin cotton and Gammarelli merinos from www.meschaussettesrouges.com - my daily staples. For bulletproof value, I also have blacksocks.com cotton OTCs. They have literally lasted for years; only limited colours at any one time kept me from buying more. They are coarser, but you could tow a car with one.

Short socks for jeans or whatever, I admit have usually come from Marks & Spencer.

9. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I bespeak my astrakhan gut condoms.

1 person likes this.
  10. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Now you're just boasting (that the standard sizes do not accommodate).

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

Could be a boast, or a lamentation.

1 person likes this.
  12. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

I cannot muster the will to get excited about high end socks.

13. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

Try some Mes Chausettes Rouges (sp?). Their linen and wool offerings are about as exciting for me as socks can get. Admittedly, they're not obscenely expensive (mid $20 range) but I like them a bunch.

1 person likes this.
  14. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

Can anyone compare Pantherella socks to Mes Chausettes and Viccel? I just hate spending $25-$30 per pair

15. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

I have Pantherella and Viccel. Panthetella are softer and more comfortable but all three pairs I bought developed holes fairly quickly which was disappointing. Viccel are not the same quality, feel more synthetic, colors have faded but all remain in good shape and i still wear them.

16. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Viccel is currently having a 30% off sale (everything) if that helps.

17. justinkapur

I just saw that and ordered 14 pairs :hide:

18. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with London Sock Company? Saw them today on an iG account I respect.

19. justinkapur

I looked at them today as well and their website took forever to load. I started to lose patience and the one thing that kinda annoyed me was the logo on the socks. It seems as though they all have them. Pricing came out to about $20 a sock. At that price I would rather shell out the $5 to have pantherella