1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

I would like to be associated with the words of the last speaker :nodding:

2. gs77

gs77 Well-Known Member

No 1. By far...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

@New Shoes1, I do think I like 1289 a bit better. Things tend to look a little lighter made up than as a small swatch, in my experience. The one you picked is fine; I just tend to think you could go a bit darker and still get the effect you're after. Ultimately, it's up to you.

4. Epicure

Epicure Well-Known Member

Definitely the cavalry twill.

5. Bowball

Bowball Well-Known Member

Chiming in on this one, having seen them in person, the 1289 is VERY saturated. The book is missing something more like an indigo between the navy and the very blues. The lightest blue is probably the least saturated of the non-navies.

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Either way, no big deal. I'm pretty sure penicillin will clear that up...

5 people like this.
  7. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

I'll hit you up when I am in SF then raid your closet but only to come out with The Noodles[​IMG] suit to my dismay.

In other news, I am loving my new job but am kind of puzzled how impatient and rude my clients are at first but end up loving me by the time the project or work is over. Maybe they're just happy that they don't have to see me anymore. But getting the work done sure seems like the only way to get respect from these types of clients.

1 person likes this.
  8. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

@sebastian mcfox :

Apples and oranges, no? The first is pretty dressy and the second casual.

Much would depend on what you plan to pair them with, I think.

Cheers,

Ac

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree with all the comments and the rationale for going darker. Makes complete sense to me, but I do not think 1289 is the one. It is very ink blue in color and has a purplish tint indoors. It looks fine in direct sunlight, but I just looked at it again indoors and all I can see is purple. I'd be all over something a little darker, but you're right 1289 is very saturated.

10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

However I must point out, as your treating physician, that Coxsackie is viral...

1 person likes this.
  11. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

@sebastian mcfox , I concur with the forum zeitgeist on green cavalry twill over heavy cotton.

However I disagree with @heldentenor who suggested that it would not be a versatile piece. In support of my case, I submit this photo of Patrik from Skoaktiebolaget which I spotted on @EFV 's new website:

[​IMG]

The Swedish text translates as "Be baller like me. Go and buy those ridiculously awesome green cavalry twill trousers immediately."

2 people like this.
  12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Well, I *am* American. It is my birthright to over-prescribe antibiotics for maladies unaffected by their use.

3 people like this.
  13. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

^ I bow to Pat's example. If you wear them that well, go for it.

14. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

Can't argue with that

15. pe3brain

pe3brain Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is an Ebay suit I got. it's a hickey freeman custom suit with 100% wool. Despite the pictures this suit is a navy almost charcoal color. I think the waist of the jacket and the seat of the pants needs to be taken out by an inch and those are the only fit problems I see. the suit has 3 inches of extra fabric in the pants and 2 inches in the jacket, so I'm not too worried about letting both of those area out a bit. Are there any other fit issues I'm missing that a tailor could fix? Thanks for any feedback I'm new to formal wear fashion

16. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Almost everything about that suit is too small for you.

1 person likes this.
  17. pe3brain

pe3brain Well-Known Member

ok, so besides what I noticed with the seat and the waist of the jacket, what else is too small?

the shoulders feel large enough and by the pictures they don't look too small (they aren't lying on my traps and end just past my natural shoulder). The lapels are laying flat and aren't bowing so the chest is correctly sized. Like I admitted before the waist should be let out. the sleeves of the suit don't look too slim/small to me either (I assume I would have issues getting my shirt sleeve in them as well which isn't occuring). The overall length of the jacket is fine (covers my ass but isn't longer). With the pants the waist fits perfectly it doesn't feel tight when I sit or stand and isn't so big I need a belt to keep them up. Like I said in my original post I agree that the seat is too small and plan on letting that out. the legs of the pants don't follow the curves of my legs at all and are totally straight so I don't see how those are too small.

18. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

Your first picture with your back to the camera shows it pulling across the entire back. Starting from the shoulders down to the midsection and to the vents. I mean I think you need to re-evaluate and possibly go up a size. Buying off Ebay doesnt work unless you know your proper size. To me this is 1-2 sizes too small. The shoulder in the back looks really bad. Again this is coming from someone who wears their jackets pretty trim and have been critiqued about it. I have gone a bit fuller in my cuts and they are so much better. Just my 0.02

19. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how you can't see the lapels bowing, but they are. Severely. The sleeves are a good 2-3 inches short, there is a ton of pulling across the shoulder blades, the thighs are tight, and the sleeve pitch is off. All this in addition to the issues you noted. It's simply too small for you. It's a bad find and I would return it if you can.

20. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member