1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I have probably a day, day and a half free. But I'll probably use that time to work.

Though if there is a SuSu nearby the hotel (I don't know what hotel, but I am sponsored by funding outside the university for these things, and the company providing the funding has consistently put us in very nice places), I will visit, and if they try and squeeze me into a 36R, I will give them a hard time. That might be the only sightseeing I do.

After living abroad for a while, and traveling quite a bit, domestic sightseeing, outside of historic or natural landmarks, sort of loses its luster. I dunno. What are some things worth seeing in Anaheim?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  2. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

Disneyland?

1 person likes this.
  3. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Well-Known Member

Elio! Was hoping you might pop in - where you been?

The blue has been out a few times, and while I'm conscious of the length while I'm wearing it, whenever i ask a non-SFer (I know, I know, what's the point?) whether it seems too long they shrug and say no. They'd do the same if it was too short.

I know StyFo opinion would likely be to err on the side of long vs. short (if you had to choose) but I also know that it tends to take a little while to get comfortable whenever you change a proportion you were once comfortable with. Like I said in the OP, I could attempt to shorten them slightly. Anyone want to steer me away from that thought?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  4. Claghorn

A couple of folks are going there. Never liked theme parks. Also, my wife would kill me if I went there. At some point, we will have a kid, and we will go, and they will have fun, and I'll bring a book.

Maybe the Oak Canyon Nature Center? But I think it'll be too hot for tweed, which rules anything outdoors out.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Don't shorten the jackets, jcm.

2 people like this.
  6. jcmeyer

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Claghorn

8. jcmeyer

I hear you, but what if I shortened them?

1 person likes this.
  9. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  10. jcmeyer

Well now I'm totally at a loss for what to do.

11. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

@jcmeyer

As you own them now, don't shorten them. Think of the proper length of your jackets as a range. It's too SF OCD to think that it has to be one specific length and then focus, e.g. on where the jacket length is relative to your thumb or the fork of your trousers: OMG, it's past my thumb!!!!

These jackets will be on the long side of your range (I'd say the longest).

Get it in your head that this is ok and then enjoy them.

1 person likes this.
  13. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

That jacket isn't cut very well for that person. A well fitting ventless jacket won't look so unappealing.

@jcmeyer the jackets are too long for you IMO, though not egregiously so. Wear them well.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  14. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Well-Known Member

Yes, don't do that, In the grander scheme of OTR fits, I find, from a few photos, that those fit relatively well. Certainly the length looks fine. I am slightly concerned about the chest and the potential warning signs of bowing. Try stuffing a square in there, buttonning it, walking around, sitting standing and then buttoning it, does it bow?

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

The fact that I think Clags is kidding but am not entirely sure is why this line is hysterical.

3 people like this.
  16. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Other than disneyland, nothing. You can go south to Huntington Beach/Newport/Laguna for beaches/hiking/etc if you want outdoors stuff. Theres always LA to the west (hour to 90 min) if you're willing to drive.

2 people like this.
  17. Claghorn

-_-

I spend April-Sept in either a polo, shorts, and boat shoes or an OCBD, jeans, and Adidas or chukkas.

18. jcmeyer

Technically, I could still return the brown. I probably won't, but I could. A range makes sense; all my other jackets are a bit too short, so while I may have overshot it's more a matter of getting used to it, like you said. The pics help.

Word.

Won't be shortening the jackets, unless someone else posts that I should ;)

Not sure what you're seeing in terms of bowing signs, mind elaborating a bit? They sit pretty cleanly though I wouldn't want the waist/chest to be any tighter certainly. SuSu does like their slimness. In any case, real confessions of SF time: I rarely button my jackets in real life unless I'm at some sort of fancy event or it's too windy/cold not to.

19. rms340

rms340 Well-Known Member

@jcmeyer to my eye those SuSu jackets look more visually appealing than the other jackets you have posted in the past. It may feel too long to you, but they look right in those pictures. Personal opinion, but I have always felt like the other jackets you have posted have always looked too short. Please don't shorten them!

1 person likes this.
  20. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

@jcmeyer , I too have issues with a relatively long torso and legs that are not as proportionally long. I have found that jackets that are fine length-wise (cover seat and extend to thumb and start of inseam) look and feel too long to my eye (and my tailor's eye). As a result, I now prefer going a little shorter in jackets or making sure the quarters are sufficiently open on the longer jackets. I think those jackets work for you because the quarters are sufficiently open, but can understand why you might prefer something a little shorter.