1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. bigruss

bigruss Member

Hey all, enjoyed lurking here for a while, hoping you can help me out. I picked up a grey flannel suit second hand because I liked the trousers. Classic rise, flat front, plenty of room to let out some length and still have a cuff. More than worth the price of the suit.

I wasn't planning on wearing the jacket. The details are nice (2 roll 3, 2 button cuff, sack cut) and the shoulders/buttoning point are great but the lapels seem dated to me. However, I keep seeing some pretty generous lapels here on the forum and thought I would ask your opinion.

What do you think of the lapel size/shape and the gorge height. Not sure if it is the gorge height or the angle of the seam that is throwing me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

Do a Phd if you "think" you will like it. Hard to know as it is a long journey and the end may not be all that you expected. From an objective, monetary standpoint, definitely does not make sense, but there is more to life and happiness than $

3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Too true.

4. Caustic Man

Very true. I suppose I have the advantage of not expecting it to be anything. I love to do research and to write and I'm willing to put up with a large amount of bother in order to keep doing that. Maybe someday it will no longer be worth it to me, but at least right now, it is.

5. masaccio

masaccio Well-Known Member

Of course, "Mr." is the correct honorific for a President, former or sitting:

"Mr. President"

6. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

That's perhaps the only reason to do a PhD, and sometimes even that's not enough. But as long as you have that desire and know that you can't fill it any easier way, Godspeed.

1 person likes this.
  7. Caustic Man

The point of a song isn't to get to the end. The point of a song is simply to sing.

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Again, I'd like to gloat about the job market and pay for management professors. And I'm basically a sociologist with a bit of Econ and psych thrown in. Neener neener, gloat gloat.

Though explaining you can get a PhD management generally elicits scoffs. Also, this is a field where our teaching actually makes students worse people (MBA students demonstrate less pro-social and altruistic behaviors after completing an MBA program than before they entered it). Liberal arts expand the mind. The social sciences expands our understanding. The hard sciences expands our knowledge. Business just, uh, expands itself.

Re: titles. After working at a research university for 15 or so years, my dream job is to teach at Earlham, where professors are all in a first name basis with students due to the Quaker influence.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    2 people like this.
  9. Caustic Man

I have a friend who is working toward a masters in history and currently works at a museum. His whole purpose for working at this museum is that when he isn't working he tends to drink quite a lot. Drinking quite a lot leads to headaches. Headaches are painful. Therefor he works in order to not get headaches.

You see, he doesn't even have the burden of having to pretend like he's always interested in what he does. Nor does he have the disastrous tendency to self identify with his profession. Isn't it funny when one invests the self with things that exist outside it? Suddenly when one criticizes that thing it becomes a criticism of the person. You don't like academics? Well then you must not like me! And why wouldn't you like me? I'm a nice guy after all! You don't like the city I'm from? Why do you hate me so? You must be some kind of fool!

When you approach work, education, and all the titles that go with it with a playfulness all those pretensions can simply fall away. I suppose that is something like what the Society of Friends was getting at. The Quakers were good for something other than oats after all.

10. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

Correct. He doesn't have the burden of having to pretend like he's always interested in what he does.

But he may have the quite serious burden of alcoholism...

11. Caustic Man

Nah, he doesn't drink.

12. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

I have a very different experience than most of you. Most of the PhDs I've met are very amiable and intelligent people. They don't seem at all aloof or elitist either, talking to me, a non academic. I mean, they are from Cambridge too, which you'd assume is associated with some of the most prestige.

13. masaccio

masaccio Well-Known Member

Early on in library school (talk about a field that elicits scoffs at the notion of needing a Masters degree, let alone earning a PhD) I met a woman who had done her undergrad at Earlham.

She was

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Caustic Man

Of course
    You should see how they act toward one another.

In all truth you are quite right. I don't think anyone is saying there aren't good and bad apples in every profession. Academics, it seems to me, simply has an image (among those who favor it) as a noble, disinterested, truth seeking institution. On its best days this is what it is. Not surprisingly it has its bad side too. The side that is vain, aloof, and self destructively competitive. On its worst days this is what it is. It's easy to complain about the negative people, but I imagine that most of us have been fortunate enough to have more than a few good influences in our time at university. I know I have. These are people for whom the term "scholar" doesn't begin to do justice.

Incidentally, one of my mentors did his doctoral work at Cambridge as well as his undergrad at Yale and he is one of the most humble persons I know.

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

They were pretty much the first abolitionists in the UK and the US and largely responsible for movements in both countries. They opened up the world's first modern mental asylum (where patients were treated as patients and not inmates). Also responsible for the world's first prison reform laws. They were some of the earliest feminists and heavily involving in early feminists movements in the US (later ones too. Susan B. Anthony was a Quaker). And depending on your political view, this last bit might not be a good thing, but Quakers were performing (unrecognized by the government) same sex wedding ceremonies since at least the 80s.

I......may have been raised Quaker.

---

The first name thing is just because equality is a big part of Quakerism and so they eschew status symbols like titles.

16. Caustic Man

I'm too fond if Michel Foucault to think this turned out well for us all. I would also make a differentiation between the kind of "feminism" that the Quakers practiced and its modern variant, but other than that... yes, very good.

1 person likes this.
  17. Isolation

I was with my spouse in a room of 4 other PhD students, I didn't have too much to contribute when they were getting into more academic stuff, but they were a lot more accommodating than would have expected, I think. They don't seem any more aloof than experts in any field, if anything, they seem more aware of the reputation of their kind. We talked about all sorts of things, I think partially because they know I'm not in academia and they were kind of enough to move the discussion now and then away from their subjects, which I thought was both thoughtful and aware, and also the fact that we had quite good conversation out of it showed they were capable out of their expertise as well. Anyway, I have no doubts these are some of the better academics out of there, otherwise I would not have been introduced to begin with, but I do want to show this picture of it as well.

I had to grow out of that "noble, disinterested, truth seeking" nihilist intellectual phase as well (pretentious as fuck 14 year old I know) so I can relate, but I tend to think the smartest of people are not smart only in their subject, but also have an open mind. I mean, not always, but there's more correlation to it, I think, than people give it credit for. Yeah sure, you have people who get by through gimmicky intelligence, but those with truly a deep capability of understanding can see beyond their subject matter I think.

At least with the intellectual people I know, intellectualism for the sake of it is universally understood as shallow and pretentious, and even though, yeah of course everyone gets caught up in it now and then, there's a lot more awareness, amongst smart people, that that stuff is unflattering. At the very least, if you're talking about nihilism, then you're aware that there's no logic in thinking logic and intellectualism has more value, so taking pride in it makes no sense, and on a human level, you must also realize that the way we define intelligence is deeply rooted in problematic culture and history, so any of that haughty behaviour does nothing but make you pretentious.

Arguably though these are things humanities PhDs are more expected to be aware of, though I've met people in hard sciences too who are very intelligent in these ways.

18. Caustic Man

Oh boy. We aren't going to have to define what "smart" is, are we?

19. Isolation

Smart is what I want people think what I am, clever is what I occasionally end up with.

20. Caustic Man

Well that says nothing at all. lol