1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

I like stripe shirts like that sometimes.

Anyway quick one, thoughts on the following for a shirt to wear with tweed jackets?

[​IMG]

I had a brown/green gingham in mind but my tailor sent me picture of some different ones instead. I think I'm going to pass, but I do sorely lack gingham. As Sugarbutch pointed out, stripes don't work that well with tweed, but sometimes I really just don't think a solid shirt is good.

2. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

Tux commissioned. Ventless, peak and satin facings. Thanks for the tips ya'll.

1 person likes this.
  3. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the circumstances of your black tie events. Do you expect to go with a date? If you go alone, I think it can be argued that you might want to peacock a little.

If you go with a date, I think a man's role should be a little more sedate (eg grosgrain lapels). I don't mind dressing in a more sedate manner so the date stands out more in comparison. The more flashy you dress, the more you compete with your date.

I like vents because I keep my keys and wallet in my pant pockets. Ventless coats are annoying if you need to access your pant pockets.

4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. JHT652

JHT652 Well-Known Member

Gents..

Looking through my jackets, I have a few that are 60/40 Wool/Linen blend. What time of year are these best suited for? It's been relitavely mild in the UK for this time of year, but I feel like it's far to early to break out anything that includes linen? Likewise, they wear a little warm come summer time.

Thanks.

6. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

So, too flimsy for winter, but too warm for summer?

Hmmm.....let me see....

How about spring then?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Well-Known Member

Herringbone weave? Sure, a tattersall like that should look good with brown and reddish tweeds. Mine is a brushed cotton twill, since it's a tot warmer. Can't see why a herringbone wouldn't be good, though.

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Probably spring and mild summer days. Unless it's a heavy fabric, odd that it would be too warm for summer. Does it wear / drape more like wool? If so, some seasonal incongruity would be averted. I'd still pass on wearing jackets with linen in winter, though, but that's just me.

1 person likes this.
  9. JHT652

JHT652 Well-Known Member

One drapes more like wool, the other more like linen... Seasonal incongruity (a pet peeve) is exactly what I want to avoid.

With it been quite mild here in the UK recently I'd considered breaking them out, but think I'll leave them in the wardrobe for another month :)

10. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

I had a look at the grosgrain option in person and agree with Greg that there's no need to be shy about satin.

I would usually agree re vents, but pockets stuffed full of keys, wallet etc would ruin the look of a dinner jacket anyway

1 person likes this.
  11. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

For black tie events, leave the wallet at home. Stick two large bills and two credit cards in a money clip and insert in inside jacket pocket. Keys should be pared down to absolute minimum. :)

12. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

It's ridiculous how much stuff plies up in my pockets for these events - keys, wallet, phone and camera. The camera is the really quite a compromise between size and image quality.

I was impressed that I could stuff a GM1 with a 15mm lens in the breast pocket of my tailcoat.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  13. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Wouldn't an iPhone do the trick?

14. DeSense

DeSense Well-Known Member

Nothing beats the RX100 Mk IV at the size/price point, esp. in low light, high ISO. It's amazing.

2 people like this.
  15. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

That's the one I use too, but I wouldn't put it in a jacket pocket.

16. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

On top of maybe stretching the pocket(s), it would look terrible.

17. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I had a black tie event last night and only took my iphone in my jacket and a credit card + two fiddies in my trousers pocket. Not even a watch. It feels nice to carry so little.

I can't imagine carrying a camera in my tux

4 people like this.
  18. DeSense

DeSense Well-Known Member

It's my SOs, and she carries it everywhere in her (any) bag. Her pics are the ones everyone asks for afterwards.

Don't know what you use for product pics at Pitti e.g., Greg, but that one won't fail you.

19. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

I agree. I like carrying as little as possible. I don't even like having my car keys in my pocket.