1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

Yes. For me it's pinstripes. I like the look on others, but feel very conscious/aware that I'm "dressed up" when I'm wearing them. It's not a CBD vs. more casual thing for me, since I'm fine with solid suits. I've let my two pinstriped suits go as a result.

3 people like this.
  2. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Well-Known Member

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This guy, an RTW Huntsman.

1 person likes this.
  4. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

I can definitely feel the difference, in that I feel more restricted than wearing a SB jacket. That said, i like them. Feels similar to a vest to me, which I also like.

5. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Well-Known Member

@jcmeyer

I have an eidos just less than navy birdseye suit with patch pockets (mtm). Brown buttons, so it qualifies as having blazersuit potential. My conclusion is, though, I dont love birdseye for a SC. It just screams orphan to me. I welcome/encourage others to change my mind and tell me I am wrong.

Manton and other old school SF gods have opined on the ideal fabric, so you may want to search for that discussion, but my sense it it would be a summer weight fresco or mohair blend

2 people like this.
  6. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Level Up!
    Claghorn gained a level.
    Gained +10 to Discrete Style.
    Lost -5 to Swag.
    Unlocked perk: Speak Softly But Carry A Strong Stick

1 person likes this.
  7. CaptainTohm

CaptainTohm Well-Known Member

@Claghorn You do you, but for what it's worth I have that photo saved in my "SF Inspiration" folder.

1 person likes this.
  8. Claghorn

Yeah. I love that outfit too. And I generally like the way I look in it.

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

You're just not used to it yet

10. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

FWIW I think it looks great Clags

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Clags - I think you bring up an interesting issue - an issue that I am currently working to resolve.

Very recently, I decided to get rid of everything that I feel uncomfortable wearing, and everything that does not fit as well as another garment. At the end of the day, it really does not matter how it looks in a picture posted to the interwebz. If you are not comfortable, you will lack the insouciance necessary to be a well-dressed person. If you are constantly looking down at that donegal herringbone tie, you will not be rocking it. I see plenty of people on a daily basis, some better dressed than others. However, I have noticed that some people who, perhaps, are not technically well-dressed, can come across as well-dressed as a result of their posture, gait, comfort, etc.

So do I think the jacket looks nice? Yep. But that really does not matter.

6 people like this.
  12. Claghorn

Pretty much my sentiments, Newc.

13. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

Of course if one feels uncomfortable one won't look one's best.

The psychology of dress is complex (both from the point of view of the wearer and the observer) and I think it may matter why one doesn’t feel comfortable.

I can certainly sympathize. I’ve gone on record more than once that I think that Huntsman jacket is lovely and it’s quite flattering on Claghorn. And, for myself, I love the look of a formal well-tailored British style double-breasted jacket. But I’d never wear one myself.

Why? Because in many years in my profession I think I’ve seen only one. That’s also why I don’t wear pocket squares. In my world it would be a step too far, crossing the border between formal and foppish. In your world you might be regarded as undressed if you didn’t wear a square, on the other hand.

Every man needs to decide for himself just how far, if at all, he’s willing to deviate from the norms of dress in the environment in which he finds himself, and the nature of that deviation. It’s a personal decision for which there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ and it simply needs to be respected.

“A man should look as if he had bought his clothes with intelligence, put them on with care, and then forgot all about them” - Hardy Amies

Cheers,

Ac

14. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Well-Known Member

You gotta wear what you are comfortable with.

15. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

I agree.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Claghorn

I may sell my Huntsman, but I shall never sell my jockstrap.

1 person likes this.
  17. CaptainTohm

I'm still trying to make a decision on how to improve my shoe wardrobe. I've decided that I may as well skip Loakes and starting paying for better quality. I'm considering getting a few pairs from the LM Meermin line, or one pair from Carmina. My shoe wardrobe isn't very large, which is the reason why I'm hesitating to start investing in Carmina.

As far as shoes that fit passably, I have:
    Black captoes
    Brown brogues
    Brown suede Chelseas
    Brown tassel loafers (which I find get the most use)

I also have a pair of brown captoe boots that are a half size too large, but I wear in the snow anyway. It should be noted I'm not thrilled with the quality of any of those shoes, and would like to replace them all eventually.

Thoughts?

18. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

What's your size, claghorn?

19. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

Maybe give Cobbler Union a try? From everything I've seen, they look to be very nice, both in construction and appearance. They claim to offer the value of a $750 shoe (which, admittedly, is probably BS), but I think they can be fairly bunched in with Carmina and brands of the sort...and they come in around $50 cheaper, at $400 or so, if you forego shoe trees...though they'll still be a touch cheaper if you don't.

Honestly, it comes down to what you can feasibly manage price wise. If you're already viewing lower priced/quality shoes in a somewhat "meh" light, I'd say bite the bullet on the front end, and pay a bit more for higher quality...at the end of the day, you'll probably find yourself yearning (which in my book means inevitably purchasing lol) for the higher quality show you passed on initially.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  20. CaptainTohm

Someone earlier also mentioned KW, and I may take a swing at his captoes, but his selection is still small enough that I'll need to find another "favorite" shoe brand regardless.

It's difficult to have little disposable income, be very snobby about clothes, and have gaps in your current collection.

(Assume the word, "difficult" is being used in a very self-aware way)