1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Give them a try first. I only have SS odd trousers in Soho fit, but they have a higher rise, fuller thigh, and slightly wider leg opening than the HY's I have in the same size (36 in my case).

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I ended up going with the dark brown horn. I have an older charcoal suit with dark brown (probably plastic) buttons and thought it looked nice. Thanks for your help.

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

flvinny, Clags' tie recs are generally solid, but the pindot with herringbone would not be in my ten-tie wardrobe. And I would hold off on adding grenadine until the second round. For solids, I would strongly consider just having Sam Hober make you repp silk ties in three or four colors you like.

For shoes, black, dark brown, and burgundy captoes would make a good rotation with applicability to all of the suits you mentioned.

1 person likes this.
  4. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I like herringbone and I like pindot. Not together, though.

I'm not crazy about silk ties, either. For me, it would basically be wools and cashmeres in the winter and mostly linen ties for the spring and summer.

1 person likes this.
  5. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I did not expect to like the combination. And I still don't. But I've worn it three times in the last 30 days

6. Cao Cao

Cao Cao Well-Known Member

...and I still haven't found what I'm looking for~~~[​IMG]

7. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

This was a case where I unwittingly put myself between a rock and a hard place. Make certain I wasn't referring to you, and I ran the risk of implying you're not said "sexy bitch." Leave it up to interpretation, and run the risk of implying you were the bitch in question...

Oy vey!!

All in all, I still stand by my assessment that that linen is one sexy bitch, and you cut a dashing figure in it!

1 person likes this.
  8. vriche

vriche Well-Known Member

I think that a lot of people assume that knits and Grenadine are similar when they're really not. Knits to me are strictly casual where grenadine on the other hand (especially fina) feel right at home in all professional settings. In fact, if I can only have 1 tie for the rest of my life, it'd be a Navy Grenadine.

1 person likes this.
  9. Claghorn

My one tie, not knowing what lay ahead, green grenadine fina. Knowing what lay ahead, brown silk knit.

1 person likes this.
  10. flvinny521

flvinny521 Well-Known Member

Actually, repp ties might be my least favorite of all. I hope I'm not breaking an SF Commandment by saying that.

Ahhh, seasonality. Maybe that's one thing I should have expanded on. I live in south Florida, so basically, consider it summer (blistering, uncomfortable summer) for 11 months and fall for one, maybe one and a half on a good year. I guess silk/linen blends are probably my best bet, with maybe two or three wool or cashmere staples to rotate for that short cold period.

Thanks for your input (all of you). This thread has been by far the most helpful to me. I do not come from a family who had much concern for dressing properly, and living where I do, it's impossible to learn by observation.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  11. Claghorn

Three figure tie collection. Zero repps

2 people like this.
  12. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

You guys are crazy. If there was ever a "one tie", it'd be a navy repp.

1 person likes this.
  13. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

My bad. I missed seeing your location under your name. In that case, definitely fill in the necessities first and hold off on the heavier ties.

Vanda (http://vandafineclothing.com/) is another site you can check out and you can filter by material to make searching easier, too.

1 person likes this.
  14. Claghorn

Green goes as well with brown as blue, almost as well with gray as blue, and better with blue than blue.

Though navy is clearly the classic.

15. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

Strangely enough, I find navy ties go better with navy suits, but I love green ties with gray and brown suits.

16. Claghorn

I like blue with navy suits. I like it less with navy and blue odd jackets (though it can still be nice. I wore blue on blue with a blue jacket yesterday).

17. flvinny521

flvinny521 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to find ties around the $75 mark as opposed to $100 for the SF standards? Just hunt around B&S for deals?

18. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

One tie? Navy. Challenging closely is brown with green a nose back with a black green'/knit rallying on the stand-side....

In other news took some pics of a couple of my ties and posted in the gallery

19. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

Green tie/brown jacket is my all-time favorite combination. I like the reverse a hair less.

20. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Henry Carter, some NMWA on sale, and Exquisite Trimmings are where I've purchased 90% of my ties, and I don't think I've spent $100 on any of them.

1 person likes this.