1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

@jdrizzy god no, though I have an aversion to bracelets of any sort, really. Some of VM's bracelets look rather tasteful, but still nothing I could even think of spending near $100 on.

I'm a watch and wedding band (when that fateful day arrives lol) kinda guy.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Ask a watch question and get marriage advice....only in the GNAT.

Unless your name is Captain Jack Sparrow or you have a health condition, you shouldn't wear bracelets.

1 person likes this.
  3. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

haha true that

4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Guess I'm taking off my livestrong now

1 person likes this.
  5. Murlsquirl

Let me rephrase...fashion bracelets.

1 person likes this.
  6. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Well-Known Member

Throwing this one out there.

Anyone here wear roll necks? Looking for a decent one in charcoal that isn't too thick

7. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

An anecdotal data point for those who might be interested in the next generation of would-be adults …

I had reason about a month ago to ask a class of roughly 25 undergraduates whether any of them was wearing a watch. Only two were, one male and one female, and the female’s battery was dead so the thing was essentially just a bracelet.

Cheers,

Ac

8. MrTRC

MrTRC Well-Known Member

Of course. Roll necks are a staple for me in chillier weather. Despite loving scarfs and owning a couple; in my neck on the woods, the regular donning of scarves can be considered somewhat fey.

Hence, i prefer the roll neck.

9. jdrizzy

Any brands you would suggest? I always have a problem of having a bigger neck, and sometimes the itchiness ( but I guess that depends on the maker of the Rollnecks)

10. Academic2

If I’m going to going back and forth from indoors to outdoors, then a scarf. If I’m going to be mostly outdoors, then something like this from a couple of days ago becomes useful, especially if I’m engaged in an activity where a scarf could be a hindrance.

Cheers,

Ac

[​IMG]

11. jdrizzy

Very nice. I was planning on wearing it in a similar fashion. Any brand recommendations?

1 person likes this.
  12. Murlsquirl

Inis Meain. No Man is having a 30% off knitwear/outwear sale...just started today.

13. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

On watches. I have a bit of an opinion about this, and some people may not like what I'm about to say. But here goes.

I really don't get the fuss about Rolexes. They are an overpriced mid-level tool watch. Nice casework, mostly boring designs, strong and functional but completely unfinished movement (which in any case you never get to see - luckily, as they are damn ugly).

Send a newish Rolex back for repairs and if there's anything broken inside the movement, they will most likely simply toss the whole thing in the bin and bang a brand-new one into your case. That's how precious those movements are. These days, many of the key parts are made from composites, or maybe silicon if you're lucky. The movements have also been redesigned as modular assemblies, to make repairs even easier.

To my mind, this horological philosophy places Rolexes in pretty much the same playing field as Seiko. But I prefer Seiko because their watches do not carry this overlay of...well...pretension. (Ducks head)

Many of my watch-loving friends, who IMHO should know better, do obsess over their double-red Submariners and Paul Newman Daytonas and so on. There is a genuine love and pride there, and I have no desire to gainsay that kind of enthusiasm - even if I consider it misplaced.

But there's another overlay here, which is not anybody-in-particular's fault, but which nevertheless rankles against my somewhat more "purist" stance. It's the fact that for the vast majority of buyers, the purchase of a Rolex is simply a statement of wealth, success and attainment. For these people - and I submit that "these people" constitute the vast majority of Rolex owners - it has nothing to do with the watch, and everything to do with the brand.

Another, more specific point regarding the Sea Dweller. The current version of this model is good to 3000 metres depth, or something like that. So, when's your next planned bathyscaphe trip to the base of the Marianas Trench? With all that water resistance, this is a helluva chunky watch. You might need to replace your shirt collection just to fit it under the cuffs.

OK, I suppose it's not quite as preposterous a concept as a diamond-encrusted Roger Dubuis Easy Diver Tourbillon. But let's face it. Most Sea Dweller owners don't even have a SCUBA licence.

Me? I do own a diving watch. An Omega Planet Ocean. Good to 300m, I've waterskied while wearing it. Sure, I'm not much of a diver. But with its George Daniels-designed coaxial escapement, this is a watch with some horological as well as tool value. And when I bought it, I knew exactly what I was buying and why I was buying. If you're thinking about buying into the Rolex story, I think you should have some understanding of exactly what that story is.

8 people like this.
  14. Academic2

15. Academic2

Watches seem to be almost sui generis so far as men’s apparel is concerned.

Because we’re SF we’re discussing them in the context of clothing, but most people think of them as jewelry I’d wager. Like much jewelry, some people actually buy them as investments and indeed, for collectors, some of them do increase in value I believe (so there’s a financial component in such cases), and they’re also not uncommon as family heirlooms (so there’s an emotional component in these cases).

Moreover I’ve never heard of an employer giving a retiring employee a gold suit.

Cheers,

Ac

16. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

@LA Guy @Synthese

When the time comes.

---

17. Academic2

18. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

All over the internet, two clubs exist when it comes to a Rolex : the hater club or the lover club. No suspense about which one you gravitate towards.

Regardless, I am glad to hear your opinion. I did browse the Omega boutique with wife, and, from a strictly aesthetic point, nothing jumped out at us. I was initially leaning towards a Sub, but the SD4K dial was much cleaner and more appealing. If you have other recs about a particular watch to check out in person, I am all ears.

19. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Uhh... are we really talking about being practical and relevant (the waterproof references) on here?

20. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I guess I've underestimated the sentimental value of an IRA...

2 people like this.