1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Chulillo

Chulillo Well-Known Member

Have you tried UnderArmour compression t-shirts @sprout2 ?? I have those and Nike compression t-shirts and they are wonderful for everything (lifting weights, plyometrics, bodyweight exercises, aerobics, etc.).

2. asturiano

asturiano Well-Known Member

I heard that the problem with merino is durability. Can you comment on that? Many thanks,

I saw the other day a 50 merino/50 polyester shirt, but it was on the 'camper/camping section' rather than in the sports section so I am not sure if they can be used when doing extreme exercise (by extreme I mean long distance/high intensity). My main issue is that I sweat profusely so the polyester ones only last me a season.

3. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

How is merino supposed to be washed?
    I liked the feel and movement.

Haven't tried. No muscles here to compress. Will look into it.

I guess primarily I'm looking for something that feels barely there. I have running shorts from Iffley Road, and they are made in some kind of space-age Italian nylon fabric that is super slinky. Looking for something nice like that for shirt. Not necessarily performance, just comfort.

Looked at Lululemon, no XS. Maybe this will have to wait until I go back to Asia...FML

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  4. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Green or tobacco silk knit.

5. fllick

fllick Well-Known Member

I was under the impression the formosas offered at NMWA were all of the same cut? Was the 3rd suit cut differently? Thanks.

6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Why not cotton? (JW because I've always used cotton) and doesn't merino keep you really warm?

7. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

some have different shoulder styles, and the third one he tried IIRC was also linen, so it might have draped differently.

8. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Apparently Formosa measurements can be somewhat inconsistent. Much to the frustration of a certain member here, who's been whining about that in the past for pages long on this thread...

Merino wicks away moisture, whereas cotton absorbs it. Not nice when you're sweating from exercising. That being said, I prefer synthetics for sports wear. Yes, it gets smelly, but you have to wash it anyway.

2 people like this.
  9. Claghorn

I think it's alright for a suit or jacket to vary in measurements within reason. I imagine this has always been the case, but since until recently, the majority of people bought clothes in person, it probably wasn't an issue. That's probably why places like SuSu and NMWA offer free returns.

10. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Well-Known Member

Plain white v necks, iffy quality. Just treat them as beaters and be done with them when they go the shit.

1 person likes this.
  11. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

I think it's a fair point to make here that geography plays a significant role in the way one can dress, beyond the obvious. Being able to even try on RTW involves living in the vicinity of at good RTW retailer. There's only so much one can do online. The same goes for decent tailors.

The thing that makes the internet great is that you can't really tell who's a NYC BallerLawyerBanker or a suburban dad until they actually post pics. Both types get to communicate on here and swap expertise and tips, but it's pretty difficult for one to be able to understand the accessibility (or lack thereof) the other possesses.

12. sprout2

Once we make the list, the bracelet wearing bloggers descend, no more 1300 sport coats.

13. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Well-Known Member

Could I have some feedback on the fit of these trousers? 'm trying to improve the fit for my next order with Luxire. Here're the problems I'm experiencing:
    - Front not clean.
    - Trousers not falling cleanly over the shoes.
    - Trousers crawling up between the butt cheeks resulting in disrupted lines at the back.
    - What looks to be like to much room around the pockets and front (to the left of the crotch in the first picture). Also, I feel like, at least when standing, there's to much room around the hip area. But I'm afraid of decreasing it because as you can see, the trousers are already riding up between the butt cheeks. On the other hand, not tightening the seat area makes the trousers look like they're "sagging".

I'm not sure what alterations to ask for, but I'm considering one of the following two routes:

- Increase back rise at the crotch by 0,25" to remedy the problem of the trousers riding up between the butt cheeks.
    - Scoop out the seat by 0,25" for the same reason as above.
    - Slanted/military hem. Decrease front length by 0,25" and increase back length by 0,5" resulting in a 0,75" slant.

- Increase back rise at the crotch by 0,25" to remedy the problem of the trousers riding up between the butt cheeks.
    - Scoop out the seat by 0,5" for the same reason as above. Note, this is 0,25" MORE than alternative 1.
    - Slanted/military hem. Decrease front length by 0,25" and increase back length by 0,5" resulting in a 0,75" slant.
    - Decrease half hip measurement at front by 0,25" to tighten the front seat area. I'm imagining this will render a cleaner look around the pockets.
    - Decrease half hip measurement at the back by 0,25" to tighten the back seat area. I'm imagining this will render a cleaner look around the pockets.
    - Decrease front rise by 0,25". I'm imagining this will render a cleaner look as well.
    - Increase back rise at waist by 0,25" in order to give my butt/back a little more room in addition to the first alteration under this alternative (2).

What do you guys suggest? I'd appreciate your feedback.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

its usually made pretty thin for base layers/sports so yeah can be an issue.

Just with a wool wash on gentle cycle in a wash bag usually keeps them in good shape.
    Like Eliod said. Cotton gets wet and heavy and then cold because it doesn't dry easily. Not good for sports where sweating is involved.

I usually wear wicking polyester as well, can't really be beat in terms of comfort and performance.

@EliodA on the subject of poly smelling, I've always been told it smells after using it in the dryer, heat strips away the antibacterial coating or something. Never tested this myself because I hardly use the dryer and poly dries easy anyway.

2 people like this.
  15. TitoAraujo

TitoAraujo Member

Guys I need advice ASAP on what inventory I should add to this collection: https://getbritches.com/store
    I'm a marketer but right now im clueless about fashion and another member recommended me this thread.

Thanks!

16. sprout2

-Size XS athletic shirts
    -Gold Toe socks
    -Weed vaporizers
    -$1300 sport coats

3 people like this.
  17. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

18. Claghorn

So if I understand the premise of your website, you'll deliver the clothing items listed to anywhere win SF and you are looking for more items to include?

From your website, it looks like you are targeting males mid twenties to early thirties, correct?

What is your logistical set up? Are these items you buy in bulk from the stores?

Are you only looking for stuff from H&M, GAP, BR, and J. Crew?

---

At first glance, you probably need a more traditional leather belt, tan chinos, maybe socks, and a solid blue oxford cloth shirt.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  19. sprout2

Lol didn't even realized I'd replied twice. I must really hate bracelet wielding bloggers.

Oh, that's correct. The US is a desert. Kind of makes sense that everyone is screwed into going to department store trunk shows.
    If on West coast, continue going west, do not stop until Asia. If on East coast, continue going east, do not stop until Europe.
    If anywhere in the middle, move immediately.

20. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

It's traveling tailors and bracelet-blogger prices for us poor west coast 'Muricans!

(I should note that I think Steed's MTM, although not $1,300, gets you access to Edwin DeBoise for measurements, corrections, and recommendations; is well made; includes all of their fabric books; and is therefore a good value, all things considered.)