1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. MrTRC

MrTRC Well-Known Member

Is @Claghorn the guy who turns up for a BBQ in a 3piece Linen suit and spectators?

2 people like this.
  2. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

If I'm not having fun with it, I'll settle for looking appropriate while not looking bad. We all have our different reasons for enjoying our clothes. My "what's the point?" was just in regards to my own preferences.

---

If I'm at a BBQ, dollars to donuts, I'm in a polo shirt, shorts, and boat shoes. I don't recall ever showing up to a social event particularly overdressed. That sort of person often thinks there is something special or romantic about CM. Vestiges of a better era or some other crap. When men were men and Reagan was making Westerns.

Don't own spectators and a three piece linen suit defeats the purpose of a linen suit.

Don't wear tshirts (except to the gym) or flip flops (except to the beach). Make sure everything is clean, fits well, doesn't have holes, and colors/patterns don't clash, and I'm a happy camper.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  3. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

Mason-Dixon line is a really good rule of thumb, though. Pretty much all points south are a sartorial wasteland.

2 people like this.
  4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Even if it isn't physically, it is.

What is the basis of that statement? There's plenty of sartorialism in the south.

5. sprout2

Men in corncob hats and white suits stamping their feet and playing in jug bands is, while sartorially oriented, not really part of the cosmology I was thinking of.

Edit: not actually sure what a corncob hat is. I think I made that up.

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I think you may have some misperceptions about the US south.

7. sprout2

More like Elmer Fudd?

Everything I know about life I learned from cartoons.

1 person likes this.
  8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

That Huntsman DB makes your torso look a lot longer, or maybe it's the picture? It looks good. Makes you look taller, but I thought the length was an interesting side effect (though, are you normal suits shorter than the huntsman- that might account for the difference)

9. Claghorn

Just the angle, I think. It's a good angle. I think I'll walk around in that pose during the day.

2 people like this.
  10. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

Angle or no, DBs--and that one in particular--really suit you Clags. I have a mental reservation about wearing DB jackets given my age and profession. Not sure if you share that reservation, but if you don't, I'd encourage you to explore in that direction.

11. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

12. Isolation

Isolation Well-Known Member

That's one of my favorite photos from claghorn, it inspired me to get a blue flannel db, and a fresco one.

1 person likes this.
  13. Claghorn

Well, if you are going to Huntsman or RA, they can certainly make you something akin to it!

14. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

Get a Segway ™. You'll be set for life, though I admit I'll miss the chair ...

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  15. Claghorn

I'll have to make sure The Chair makes an occasional appearance this fall, if only for variety's sake. The light is great at one part of our balcony, but the background is a rather unpleasant yellow (though, when mixed with the clay red of the rest of the complex, the overall effect is rather nice). I'm seriously considering purchasing some plywood and painting it white and setting it up against the wall. Or maybe I'll paint it something other than white. I guess I could paint both sides different colors, again for the sake of variety. Hrmmm...I'm liking this idea. Need to bounce if off Mrs. Claghorn to make sure it's on the acceptable side of eccentric.

Does gray make for a decent background color (given that I often wear gray trousers)? @thefoxtooth , I choose you.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. thefoxtooth

thefoxtooth Well-Known Member

I think we ought to ask Jason Jules what he thinks...

[​IMG]

What you probably ought to do is get a closet bar and a shelf bracket with a bar cradle, then get yourself a roll or two of seamless paper. It comes in 9' rolls, but any good photo supply will cut it down for you on the bandsaw. Your choices will then be nearly infinite.

i think my grey one is the same as the one Drake's used here.

2 people like this.
  17. Claghorn

Hmmmm, I only worry that that would push me to the unacceptable side of eccentric. Though I suppose once you are on that side, you no longer really worry, huh.

But he's also in a controlled lighting condition. I've definitely seen outdoor pictures where gray pants faded into gray backgrounds.

18. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

If you're talking SF standards then you're not even close to eccentricity of any sort.

If you're talking real-world it's way too late to worry about it. As it is for us all.

Cheers,

Ac [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. thefoxtooth

thefoxtooth Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, don't you live in Texas? 'Cause, er, I might have some unfortunate news for you...

20. Claghorn

Yes. And what is that. Please tell me.

[​IMG]