1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. CaptainTohm

CaptainTohm Well-Known Member

As long as we're discussing SuSu, I'm planning on buying two new jackets with a checked pattern, but I have no idea what shirts to pair them with, besides solids.

Two of my favorite patterns to wear with causal jackets are gingham and a spaced check like I'm wearing in my profile picture, but I'm worried that will be too close in pattern to pair with these jackets. Any pattern/color combinations, gents?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

I think you answered your own question already: solid shirts is the way to go. If you really want a pattern, then stripes could work, provided they're not too loud. No checks, please.
    FWIW, I like the first jacket a lot more than the second.

2 people like this.
  3. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

I emphatically agree with everything that Elio said. I'd make provision for pencil striped shirts or perhaps a very subtle puppytooth, but solid shirts (and probably ties, too) are good bets with a dominant patterned sportcoat like that. And jacket #1 is much more appealing in my eyes.

1 person likes this.
  4. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

One of the very few times I have seen check n check work really well

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I have two Washingtons. I wish they didn't have ticket pockets. The peak lapels don't bother me, though I prefer notch.

3 people like this.
  6. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

That one's legendary. Works here because the micro check shirt basically works as a solid. Greg is an absolute master at wearing micro check shirts. Witness the sadly deceased CBD WAYWRN thread.

Edit: @heldentenor you advocating puppytooth shirts? Come one man, I should be doing that [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  7. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

"Making provisions for," and grudgingly at that. [​IMG]

Speaking of your shirts, the iPhone brigade (myself included) is taking over WAYWRN these days. Help Claghorn and Gerry Nelson maintain some standards of photography over there and get back to posting some fits!

8. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

Oh I need that whole outfit. :inlove:

9. winghus

winghus Well-Known Member

AE's new 1943 last, closer to what you wanted:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...s/SF1052.html?dwvar_SF1052_color=1055#start=4

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

11. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

^I was thinking the same thing. I returned a pair of AE Harrisons for that reason.

12. CaptainTohm

In the time in took me to be sure of my decision, the brown checked jacket I posted earlier sold out in my size. Emailed customer service to find one in stores to no avail, apparently it's from last year's collection and they were just selling the scraps.

Would anyone care to lend some sagacious advice on helping me pick out a seasonal brown jacket? I've assembled some possibilities and advice would be helpful. I'm intrigued by all these jackets, but budgetary constraints will only allow me to buy one, and I would like as many opinions as possible.

(Also, I also found a less bold alternative to the blue jacket, per the responses received on here.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  13. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

None are as dark as I'd recommend, but that first Hudson is your best bet. Looks quite nice.

1 person likes this.
  14. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

I like the first one best as well.

15. CaptainTohm

@Claghorn @Koala-T
    Thanks guys! That's the one I was leaning towards as well.

This is a jacket that I liked even more initially, but then I noticed how bright blue the stripes were. What is your opinion? Too bold to be easily wearable?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

When would you be wearing it?

17. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

I'll either be picking up a hudson or jort this fall/winter- it's been asked before, but is the Jort worth the premium? I see from your instagram posts that a few of you have both.

18. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Jort might be worth the premium if the cut suits your frame.

SuSu have two "premium" lines: La Spalla and Jort. Both feature full canvas, higher-quality fabrics and more hand-stitching. However, they are somewhat different in shape. I can't be more specific here, but what I can say is that the La Spalla block suits my frame really well, but Jort doesn't.

Bear this in mind when ordering online, and be prepared to send it back if the cut doesn't work for you, even if the size appears to be correct.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. CaptainTohm

I'm looking for something that is versatile. I want it to be wearable at my business casual office, and also out on a date. I think I'm leaning towards the Hudson with flecks of blue that Claghorn and Koala also liked.

20. EUtroll

EUtroll Well-Known Member

I've several different models from SuSu, and to me the quality difference is significant. That said, for a work suit I rather go cheaper. I keep the good stuff for important meetings and my free time :)