• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm thinking of selling a pair of brown captoes i own since I'm not going to touch them for a couple of years...

I have a pair of burgundy shoes I'll be able to wear with grey or navy suits etc.

Stupid idea?

I legit can't see myself wearing them as a student. I really wear them to work now as it is.

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
Okay. We'll save the picnic attqck for another day. Thanks for chiming in on thr collars. Now can anyone suggest a good tie to go with that shirt???

Just found the Formosa gray flannel waiting at my front door. Fabric is better than I imagined. And lighter too :bounce2:

Oh no you didn't~

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay. We'll save the picnic attqck for another day. Thanks for chiming in on thr collars. Now can anyone suggest a good tie to go with that shirt???
Oh no you didn't~

Black knit. Grey suit.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aren't knits square at the end? Isn't that too informal?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, after much debate (thank you) I'm willing to consider another pair of black shoes. I'm thinking one of the following and need your advice. It would be worn with SCs mainly (for suits I will reach for my cap toes when I need a black shoe).

If I (we) decide on this make up, I will probably have another maker replicate the model, as G&G is currently out of my budget.

jssdc

Reaction score
I would take the double monk, but that's also because I like double monks.

For me a black semi-brogue (Burlington and the OE medallion) is too much neither fish nor fowl. I own a pair - C&J Selbourne - and always find that with a suit a punch cap would work better while still having the same visual appeal over a plain stitch cap and for black shoe SC fits (I do not wear the Selbournes with these) either the monk or the Budapester would work better.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Honestly would not wear a black shoe with many sportcoats. Maybe with a navy blazer.

Sportcoat is sporty and usually demands a shoe in a more casual color.

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Aren't knits square at the end? Isn't that too informal?

Yes they are informal. Shirt fabric doesn't look too formal either. @The Noodles is it a cotton linen blend? Great fabric.

jssdc

Reaction score
^ Honestly would not wear a black shoe with many sportcoats. Maybe with a navy blazer.

Sportcoat is sporty and demands a shoe in a more casual color.

I also do not wear black shoes with SCs, but if I did it would either be a wingtip like the Budapester or a DM. I included the possibility of black shoes/SC in the comment above in deference to the recent discussion on the topic in this thread.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DonRaphael , the only pair I would consider with a SC would be the dub monks. And then only with relatively formal SC's, like a navy blazer.

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy blazer, white or light blue shirt, any kind of tie, medium grey trousers and black sleek loafers. Black shoes only look good with navy sportcoats, but if you wear navy a lot a nice black loafer can be worth it.

You have to take into account that very little people have the need to wear the more formal city fits on SF, hence popular opinion tends to go to the country end of the scale, which includes such things as brown shoes.

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions, gentlemen. I actually gave up on a pair of black loafers from C&J at a very good price just recently because I felt that black and loafers didn't go well together. But I'm planning to purchase a pair of loafers later, but in a brown hue with a red undertone.

I do wear navy SC often, and given that I do not intend to wear the black shoe with suits, DMs might be a better option than the other alternatives. I own one pair of DMs (brown suede) but prefer to wear them with chinos instead of wool/dressier trousers.

The reason I brought the whole black shoe discussion up to start with is that I really like the look of black shoes, but I'm struggling to find a place for them outside of with suits. And since I'm not required to wear suits all that often (and when I do, I don't always want to wear black shoes) I feel I'm missing out on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads