1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I had a guy a few months ago recognize what I was wearing as bespoke and proceeded to talk about all his stuff was also bespoke and from this awesome company called Tom James. His suit was not nice looking. I had a really, really hard time hiding my reaction. I suspect I failed at this. It's far easier to appear good natured when y'all can't see my facial expression. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Well-Known Member

I now assume you're always making the facial expression in the artistic rendering of yourself in your avatar... looking down your nose at everyone. Dick.

5 people like this.
  3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Taking meetings can be entertaining, though. I'm always upfront that I'll meet them but have no intention of purchasing unless they convince me they can provide better value / service than what I current;y have.

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

It's easy enough to find something good to say, though. Unless it's truly terrible. Then you just smile, nod and excuse yourself to freshen your drink (being able to quickly down booze helps with this).

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

My wife recently took up drawing again (after 6-7 years) due to my grandmother (who gifted her with some high quality art supplies). She drew that. Also Mark Twain:

[​IMG]

Her first internship (PR) had her occasionally illustrating brochures like this:

[​IMG]

I'm trying to get her into drawing clothes. Because that would be awesome if she got good at it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    18 people like this.
  6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

To the TJ customer in my office: I really like those bright blue contrasting color working button holes on the sleeves of your charcoal pinstripe suit. You really splurged on that one, Mr. Big Time.

8. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

That's great, your wife is really talented!

2 people like this.
  9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I had a visit many years ago when I was an associate at a large law firm. Seller was a middle-aged woman who tried to convince me to buy an entire wardrobe on the spot. I agreed to buy a blazer to try them out. She acted like I was wasting her time and left.

10. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Well-Known Member

I'm planning to take a year and a half off of having a job (and buying clothes) and work on making art in the hopes of finding studio work. These are a couple of mine from a Long time ago...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ...and some more "entertainmenty" stuff, starting to get in to recent digital painting...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13 people like this.
  11. losrockets

losrockets Well-Known Member

Love the work being shared on this page! As somebody who's been traveling down the path of science and medicine for a long time, and years ago foolishly put on hold my literary and musical hopes (thinking they'd get me nowhere), I have such great admiration those skilled in any form of art. Took me a while to realize that artistic pursuits don't have to "get me anywhere" to be rewarding and nourishing to the body and mind. I've taken up cooking as my latest expression of creativity (which is practical in that it's also physically nourishing) but I'm hoping to eventually carve out time in my life to explore poetry and narrative medicine. Bill I especially like the first two you shared! I can see many of my mentors who work with our veteran population displaying those paintings in their offices. (And none of this is to discount your wife Claghorn, who also appears very talented!)

2 people like this.
  12. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

Lol, why "Italians?" Sounds like something you read on the Internet.
    This is something most tailors do.

13. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

I have the most experience with Italian tailors, and I know that many of those that I have worked with outsource the pants.

I'm not going to write about other tailors I don't have experience with.

Thus, my comment.

14. sprout2

Trousermaker. Unless the tailor shop is a vast, vertically-integrated enterprise like A&S (and even then I am confident they must outsource some work) or a one-man operation, it is fairly standard to send those out --- not necessarily to a "shop" as nood describes, but perhaps to be done by a guy at home. Trousers are pretty routine enough that delegating them is natural. I don't believe my tailor makes my pants, someone junior to him does.

Anyway, I think we agree.

15. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

People over at the Ambrosi thread would take issue with that statement. Then again, they are willing to wait more than a year for trousers that cost more than $1k while being treated to silly lies and verbal abuse, so they must all be masochists.

16. sprout2

Ambrosi pants are borderline piratewear at this point with the massive waistbands, twin buttoning point, voluminous pleats, and pegged bottoms.

Edit: couture piratewear

1 person likes this.
  17. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

18. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

^ needs matching shirt.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  19. sprout2