1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

Again with layman's suggestion, but I would keep doing all your basic compounds including pull-ups, just add one day/hour of upper light, high rep (14-16) making sure your front/rear delts, traps and triceps feel pumped to hell when you're done.

2. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

Also steroids

1 person likes this.
  3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

lol 'no offense'.. not sure how else you'd take that

4 people like this.
  4. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Again it feels like I'm on a body builder's forum instead of one about men's clothes. :/

2 people like this.
  5. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Well-Known Member

I'd argue an utlimate reason 100% of the members here are to improve how they look, and your build is a pretty big factor in that..so it's improving to have these discussions once in awhile.

Weren't too many complaints when MC Casual went on that cycling tangent, but god forbid gemming comes up in a shoe thread

1 person likes this.
  6. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Isn't that a classic movie? Arnie is just so charismatic. "Star" written all over him. I loved the line about other bodybuilders coming up to him all the time asking for advice, and him saying "Of course, I always give them the wrong advice" as he flashes a winning smile.

No thanks. I think that's a slippery slope. Although I'm sure it works for some. Kind of like heroin: plenty of people can use it recreationally, on an occasional basis, and suffer no harm. But how do you know in advance that you'll belong to that group?

7. sprout2

I was actually trying to make fun of you for talking about exercise.

8. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

You mean, you weren't actually advocating the recreational use of steroids?

Boy, I'm such a rube.

1 person likes this.
  9. sprout2

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

I used to think I was pretty knowledgeable about lifting and exercise until I started reading this thread.

11. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

I think I will still be able to fit in my suits after reshaping myself. The purpose of reshaping my body is to look good in my suits and not look like a kid wear his dad's suits. I tend to just bulk up and not get much definition despite high reps.

12. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

So, I'm not qualified to dispense any training/exercise advice, but based on that picture alone (and the limitations of looking at a picture and not a real person, from an angle that's unnatural, except for your S.O....), I would say that there are a few adjustments to the suit cut that would help you in a noticeable way :
    (1) a little bit more shoulder extension *
    (2) a bit more body length (maybe an inch or so)
    (3) no additional waist suppression

* insert caveat about photo angle, as I've seen other pics of you in the same suit where the perspective did not result in the same proportions

I actually also have wide hips (I blame my father who has exactly the same morphology) and I've experimented a bit with jacket cuts to come to the conclusion that a bit of shoulder extension + length + lower buttoning stance = helps a lot. I started a thread years ago called "which do you prefer?" or something like that, showing a side by side between two bespoke jackets and the visual effect of those differences. I'm on my phone so hard to search for it in the middle of typing this post but maybe someone can unearth it and post the photo

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    2 people like this.
  13. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Well-Known Member

14. Sudonihm

Sudonihm Well-Known Member

I prefer the green and red hat. It's more festive.

3 people like this.
  15. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Such an original joke, sudonihm:

I prefer right, except for the pulling near the waist.

16. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

It is synergistic in the development of posterior delts depending on how far you pull back. You need such exercises to fire up your growth hormones, something that can't be easily achieved, if you are a hard gainer, by solely doing targeted workouts.

Add some form of extension with dumbells in addition to the pull ups to targwt the deltoids and you'll increase your results.

Wrt @the noodles 's formosa picture, in addition to what's been stated, the dramatic shape of quarters draws the eye to his hips.

1 person likes this.
  17. Sudonihm

Sudonihm Well-Known Member

Great minds. At least I didn't tell him he needed to work out.

18. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter, the switcharoo is the lamest joke ever.

19. sprout2

The lamest joke ever is wasting precious hours on this earth pumping steel to create muscles that will eventually deflate anyway.

4 people like this.