1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Noodles is in a permanent state of jumping the shark. I think he is, at all times, on waterskis, frozen midflight.

He has found an odd sort of Zen, in a sense, so that he doesn't ever come down.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    3 people like this.
  2. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Looks good noodles

Has it been taken in the waist? You might be able to take it in more

1 person likes this.
  3. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Taking in the waist more is risking emphasising the hips. Which is what Noodletoes wants to avoid.

3 people like this.
  4. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

Your depth perception is completely busted.

At this point I'm vaguely sure Vox has hired a Korean man and is using him as an elaborate sock puppet, including the taking of bathroom selfies. The bathroom pedestal is just too good.

2 people like this.
  5. sprout2

So which one of these are you?

[​IMG]

T-shirt with briefs, OTC socks
    Singlet with boxers, no socks
    T-shirt with boxers, OTC socks plus garters

Or maybe you opt for the thong?

1 person likes this.
  6. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

At some point in the future I expect to learn that The Noodles is a performance art project directed by Vox.

2 people like this.
  7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

So they're winter wear?

8. sprout2

To clear the air, let it be said that if a user's underwear is any non-white color, please state this upfront so I can put you/them on ignore.

9. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

I edited out your bathroom.

Overall, the shape of the suit is nice. Understanding that this is just one random picture that could be distorted, I think that the jacket could benefit from a little extra length. Your hips appear to me to be slightly overemphasized, because the hem of the coat appears to end at some point that is not below your hips. It just slightly seems to flair out the bottom of the coat. The eyes are drawn to that area. Adding a little extra length may reduce that effect and allow the coat to fall a little closer to your body.

I'm talking a very minimal amount of length here. The suit looks fine to me, as is. However, if you continue to have concerns about appearing too hippy, that's something that I noticed.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    2 people like this.
  10. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

Thx all. I think I can move on and avoid a picnic attack.

11. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

For me, absolutely. I don't wear them in summer.
    But I also don't get wearing undershirts in summer either. To me they just stop air circulation and dense cotton soaks up moisture and stays wet. Much prefer to wear no undershirt and a looser fitting open weave linen/cotton that breathes and lets the breeze through.

1 person likes this.
  12. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Unless it gets really hot, as it is often around here. No matter what you try, you're gonna sweat anyway. And then it's much better to wear an undershirt as it will help your shirt stay in shape a bit better. That loose cotton or linen shirt will look like a rumpled rag without it.

13. sprout2

Nothing is worse than a sweaty dress shirt. The singlet/tanktop/humanbeater is not about collecting sweat pooling out of your armpits, it's about perspiration from the body. I don't know the science behind this, but it actually catches and disperses perspiration a bit, keeping you from having a sticky and wet dress shirt, and the undershirt itself does not get sticky and wet, either. I guess it's kind of a layered effect where sweat is effectively diffused across the two layers, causing neither to feel clingy.

It could wear warm if the undershirt you use is too thick. I run hot in winter, so this is not even going into my consideration.

Also, it feels vaguely lewd to be wearing a bare shirt. Undershirt plus underpants is like the suit before the suit.
    I don't think I need to painstakingly elaborate this, but the American businesswear crewneck t-shirt undershirt is ridiculous for reasons having nothing to do with perspiration -- the shirt coming up to your neck and the sleeves showing through the dress shirt look gauche, to say the least. I think that in the right company, the thin sliver of a tanktop strap showing through a dress shirt is a sign of civility -- i.e., thank god he didn't wear a crewneck t-shirt.

This is kind of like over the calf socks versus that other, unmentionable kind. Or like wearing black underpants. Just one of those things.

14. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Suit looks good, Noodles. The bathroom, however, does not. Time to put some of that hard-earned into some remodelling methinks.

1 person likes this.
  15. breakaway01

breakaway01 Well-Known Member

I wear grey Uniqlo undershirts. I find that they are much less visible under my dress shirts than white undershirts. YMMV of course depending on your skin tone.

1 person likes this.
  16. Sudonihm

Sudonihm Well-Known Member

This. Grey uniqlo undershirts for me.

17. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

I'm known to go commando on occasion, but it's usually no undershirt and compression shorts. Though I might adopt the look of the the bearded white guy with the fro.

18. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

Wife's friend is visiting from the UK today and will need to give her a tour of DC. Then wife asked me to give them some time alone. I can think of 1 place to go. Suit Supply.

You read my mind. The shower booth(?) needs to be overhauled. Besides that a nice new toilet. Everything else is fine. Nice jetqusie and granite(?) floor tiles. But we plan on moving within 2 years so we won't invest too much. We watch HGTV channel...besides all the Korean shows.

I wear Hanes V neck undershirt. I do not sweat much but I got some pointy nipples.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  19. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Questions:

If the undershirt effectively diffuses the sweat on the body, why would the same phenomenon not apply to the armpit?

Are all of your shirts so gauzy that you can see your undershirt?

Who hurt you?

(Declaration of interest: I have no dog in this fight. I don't wear undershirts with dress shirts.)

20. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

@The Noodles
    Can't tell what the shower is, but if it's a plastic shower pan, I would redo it in tile and add a nicer door...frameless.
    Replace counter top and sink, fixtures, and light fixture. For resale you want to remove the builder-grade stuff. Replacing the floor tile is easy, provided you are comfortable removing the cabinet and putting it back in.
    Depending on your diy skills a lot of this is doable yourself.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    1 person likes this.