1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

The nice thing is that they deliver anywhere. So just get measured in a Euro store, and have them deliver to a store close to where you live for the final fitting. Once you have a pattern it's even easier, all you need to do is pick a fabric, lining and buttons. You'll be out of the store in 10 mins. You do have to pay in full straight away instead of half upfront, but I'd say that's worth it.

2. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Bernhard, the Dutch (well, German) dandy prince.

1 person likes this.
  3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

4. Caustic Man

Also, KW is sending me some brown MOP buttons at a really good price. Shipping is a bitch though. I seem to be taking a lot of Clag's advise lately. Weird.

5. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

Really? I've always thought that C&J was a tad better than Carmina. I am don't know how much a Handgrenade C&J is but I think at that point you might as well go E&G. I am gonna looking to whether the Westbourne is offered in a Hangrenade.

http://www.lastcall.com/His/Feature...t=100&allStoresInput=false&onlineOnly=instore
    Don't ask me why but I was at NM Last call and tried on a Hickey Freeman. It fit me really well enough that I am considering one as a plug in my wardrobe hole.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

@noodles general consensus from posts over the years seems to suggest that Carmina is better quality than C&J benchgrade and that handgrade is better than Carmina. That said, I do not notice any difference quality-wise between my C&J handgrade and my Carmina. I do not own any benchgrade, so cannot comment on how it compares.

1 person likes this.
  7. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

I knew I wasn't losing my mind.

Now on another note. Post pics of buttons as well as cost. Im considering changing some of the buttons on my suits.

8. Caustic Man

Will post when I get them. KW charged me $34 for 4 large and 10 small brown MOP buttons, shipping included. I ordered a few extra on his recommendation in case any break in shipping.

9. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

And standard MOP or smoked MOP?

10. Caustic Man

I got mine from an eBay source (Buttons n' Boots) for about 26 dollars per set (3 large 8 small).

11. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

I've always been of the view that the upcharge for C&J HG vs. BG is worth it in terms of better quality - mainly in that the creasing of the leather is far less pronounced in HG. I don't like EG (Galways aside) so I can't speak to that comparison, but I do struggle to justify the G&G premium. My recent experimenting has been with Vass, which seem on par with C&J HG quality-wise and are cheaper (when ordered direct) than BG. I've never tried Carmina but with the euro where it is have been tempted to do so recently.

1 person likes this.
  12. The Noodles

How does C&J sizing translate to Vass sizing?

13. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Well-Known Member

14. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Beauty...commando sole allows you to wear in inclement weather in the fall (e.g. rain, even light snow). You should get them.

15. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Noodles, what size are your C&Js? I'm trying to get actual measurements to figure out what size the shoes I have below are. I have evidence that they are 9US or 10US, which is a bit too imprecise for me in order to sell them with accurate sizing.

If you are one of those (or in-between), I'd be glad for a outer sole measurement, if you have a chance.

16. The Noodles

Thx. I am 8.5 UK and that's 9.5 US.

17. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

I only have one pair of Vass which are 42.5 regular width on the U last. They are roughly the same heel-to-ball as my 348E monks, but are narrower across the toe box and have a higher instep. This is great for me as I have narrow feet.

IIRC you went with a wide for the 348 so I'd suggest doing the same with the U. The F-last is as I understand wider than the U so I don't know if that would be necessary or not. If you're considering a non-CBD shoe to complement your two Hallams you could consider this from NMWA. They're on sale, and marked as "no returns" but you could try them on in person or ask Greg for special dispensation to avoid picnic attacks.

[​IMG]

I'm looking at the exact same pair but MTO in Oxblood for my next Vass.

1 person likes this.
  18. ellsbebc

ellsbebc Well-Known Member

Kopped. Fortunately, no snow in my area.

19. The Noodles

Thanks. Appreciate this. I did check out VASS but didn't find anything that I liked.

LOL - Speaking of Greg @gdl203 , I called him last week and said something like "Hello Greg, this is NOODLESl! Did my fresco suit get shipped?" Then Greg immediately asked, "No! Why?! You want to cancel the order???" I guess he was stressed out from people canceling orders, 'but I just called to say'...I want that suit now.

1 person likes this.
  20. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Well-Known Member

Whoa whoa whoa, your name isn't Noodles?

1 person likes this.