1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

The armoury doesn't really cater to small timers or people who want something cheaper. It's for people who just want to go to one store, buy a whole wardrobe and be done with it, no matter the cost. Hence, they can charge a big premium for eveything, as their customers are probably not very price sensitive. It's usually not very difficult to find some of the stuff they carry 20%-30% cheaper somewhere else.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  2. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

I agree with Circumspice. If you already have Park Avenues that you hardly wear, I see no sense in getting more black captoes. I don't like to see people wear calf with black tie, personally. It's like wearing a long tie because you don't want to buy a bow tie for the occasion.
    If you don't want to get patent leather, how about velvet slippers?

Worth noting, however, that I own patent leather opera pumps, patent leather captoes, and velvet slippers yet wear black tie only once a year!

3. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

The inca last is carmina's narrowest option. The rain is normal to wide.

4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Well-Known Member

The inca is one of Carmina's widest lasts. Alcudia and Simpson are the narrowest.

For reference: http://www.carminashoemaker.com/about-last

5. Joenobody0

6. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

I love mine:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

^ Cool look.

1 person likes this.
  8. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

Will they give me a hard time if I just go try on a shoe and not buy?

9. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

I applaud your patent leather collection. I have been searching SF as well as the internet and it is rather common to wear calf with black tie. I am not certain if wearing calf takes away from the formality or the zest of the occasion; perhaps more experienced posters can chime in.

10. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

Is Crockett Jones a step up from Carmina or about the same? Someone said there is a sale going at the CJ NYC store. May just get something from there in person.

11. MGD83

MGD83 Well-Known Member

@GuP I wore black wholecuts for my wedding. Mine are Enzo Bonafe shoes that were ordered through Skoaktiebolaget. As far as I know, Carmina has the style available often in the rain last. I think that a black wholecut shoe is a great alternative to the more traditional captoe oxford, especially for a festive event like a wedding. A captoe oxford will always strike me as very business like, but is still always appropriate for a wedding.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. Joenobody0

Handgrade yes, for sure. Benchgrade, maybe a little but not much. Honestly, if you can't tell the difference for yourself, why do you care? Go to NYC, look at shoes, and pick the ones you like. I really don't understand the constant need for guidance when you can physically see all the shoes under consideration.

1 person likes this.
  13. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

Thanks joe.

FYI : A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude - OW

14. Joenobody0

Who said I'm a gentleman, or that was unintentional? :nodding:

15. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

For some reason people always think that wearing a suit = being a gentleman.

Anyways, I'm sure they won't give you a hard time. Maybe if you try on 10 different models and then walk out without buying anything, but I highly doubt it. Anyways, they didnt seem particularly busy when I was there, and they seem to have plenty of time for Instagram and tumblr pics.

The store is outside of the main shopping districts, so they don't get many shoppers passing by. Besides, most very high end stores tend not to be very busy anyways, because there simply aren't that many people that can afford it.

16. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Do you get a lot of wear out of it?

1 person likes this.
  17. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Not in the slightest. I wouldn't call a red trouser particularly versatile in any context. However it's one of those things where when you need it nothing else will do. I agree with the sentiment Clags once had about having no desire to have a minimalist wardrobe.

1 person likes this.
  18. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

touché

19. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with either one. Number 1 is probably a little more classic, but it was a no go for me because I have an irrational hatred of satin lapels. I own Number 2. Cost (Formosa is more expensive by a bit) and fit (Eidos is much slimmer) will probably be important factors.

20. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Thanks!