1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

This thread is moving pretty fast lately. I quoted SeaJen because I think he has identified some great examples of people who do casual very well and likely consistent with what Noodles is aiming for. I also think the NMWA thread is pretty good for ideas on casual clothes.

1 person likes this.
  2. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Noodles those shoes look nice. Only Carmina I've ever considered were brown bal boots from SkoAB bi put they stopped carrying them. May have to give another look.

Bigger question for you though is what hole in the shoe wardrobe are you trying to fill? You have brown and black oxfords. Do you need another black pair for rotational purposes? What about an Oxblood?

1 person likes this.
  3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Vox's coherent combinations post>all of Foos posts combined

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
    2 people like this.
  4. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

Was thinking patriots with jeans and chinos.

Yuck? Really? :hide:

5. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

Is there anywhere to see most of his early pics, now that his blog is defunct? Lots of early pics seem to have disappeared from posts (like much of the "Old Guard").

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

I'm not an AE fan for a lot of reasons. Frankly I'd pick another brand unless you're getting them super super cheap.

7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

The good taste thread

1 person likes this.
  8. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

No chukkas????

Also, I was in Texas this week for work. 97 the entire week. and my hotel was flooded so had humidifiers in every room.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  9. Joenobody0

Unless you're on the gulf, I doubt you contend with the humidity, and I love to walk everywhere (outside)

10. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Agreed

11. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

Can we get a link of this, please?

12. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  13. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

Like 130

14. Joenobody0

Are they seconds? If not, and they're new, that's about what I'd pay assuming they aren't obviously poorly constructed and fit well.

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

Disagree. AE is a very good buy for casual wear. They put their shoes on sale so often, it's pretty easy to pick up calfskin models in the $200's and shell in the $300-400 range. It's their attempts at balmorals and dressier shoes where they fall well short of C&J and Carmina.

Gup, if you are looking for casual shoes to wear with jeans and chino's, the Patriot is a good option. Suede chukka's are another great option. And, in the colder months, I've been wearing the heck out of my boots when I'm in casual mode (C&J Islay and Carmina shell).

You can also crossover with some dressier shoes and wear them with jeans, such as a suede balmoral or wingtip or shell longwings.

1 person likes this.
  16. GuP

GuP Well-Known Member

Seconds

17. Darkside

There is a lot of (perhaps warranted) hate for AE, but to be honest, those who hate them also have trouble naming other brands that are as accessible for people in the US in the same price range.

When you can get a very serviceable pair of AE seconds for ~$200 range and try them on in the store to nail down your size, I find it befuddling when members here suggest looking at Carmina or C&J in the $350-500 range as alternatives.

1 person likes this.
  18. Joenobody0

AE falls short, with me, when a large number of their first quality shoes wouldn't qualify as a second for Carmina (who is now cheaper than AE). I liked AE just fine about 10 years ago, but their constant cost cutting, combined with their ever increasing prices makes them 100% unappealing to me. Add in the suggestion that most of their uppers are now stitched in the DR and I just can't bother with them.

2 people like this.
  19. Joenobody0

Carmina. Alden and AE shells are not meaningfully different in price to me.

20. Darkside

I think the operative term here is "to you." To many people, especially those outside of SF, a $400 shoe is at a very different pricepoint than a $200 one. When you look at it from a mathematical perspective, it seems even more blatant.