1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

No Ring Jackets then?

1 person likes this.
  2. yanagi

yanagi Well-Known Member

Because I quoted someone who was comparing Germany to Japan. Hence, the reply.

The U.S. has issued reparations to Japanese-American internees. People who try to whitewash or downplay what happened (like Michelle Malkin) are rightly ridiculed. I don't see how the comparison is appropriate.

3. yanagi

yanagi Well-Known Member

I have never lived in the U.K. and won't comment on British experiences, but pretty much every Asian American has experienced what you described. It's not unique to the Japanese. I seriously doubt that five or six year olds actually know enough to genuinely differentiate among Asians. It's more just "you look different, so it's funny."

1 person likes this.
  4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

I was specifically talking about Chinese and Korean kids saying stuff about the war to a Japanese person.

Anyways, let's call it a day. It was an interesting discussion, but I'm sure we can all agree that all forms of racism and xenophobia are bad. Here's hoping we can one day live in a world where a person is only judged on their own actions, and not on their race, nationality, gender, etc.

To keep it clothing related, I've heard that exquisite trimmings is receiving a large number of neats next week, so for anyone looking for a couple, it might be best to keep an eye out. The best patterns in the 3.5" width tend to sell out quite quickly.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    5 people like this.
  5. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

We are not talking about racism against Japanese. And their experience of racism has nothing to do with their war crimes. I am talking about a country that is unrepentant of its war crimes and even distorts history. They say comfort women volunteered or never existed. The US wants a ROK-Japan alliance to stand against China. So the US is telling Korea to just move on. We cannot move on when one party that inflicted so much harm has yet to fully apologize. Still visits that shrine, still does not acknowledge its crimes, still treats war criminals as heroes. Maybe Monkeyface should take a visit to Nanking or Unit 731 site or Korea.

6. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

-THE END-

NO MORE TALK OF WARS.

1 person likes this.
  7. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Agreed. Tweed and toilets, everyone?

8. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

I might have mentioned this before but when I was going to JC back in the late 90s there were Japanese international students who thought the history section on WW2 in the Pacific was American propaganda. America has a lot of problems, but acknowledging that we did fucked up things (at least among most groups) isn't something we have as big a problem with as most others.

9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Uhh, maybe we should tell that to the south... They're trying to change the history books. And the science books...

10. Caustic Man

"The south" is a big place with lots of different people in it. Some are in denial, for sure, but they are a minority even if it doesn't seem like it. The craziest ideas are often professed by the loudest voices. Unfortunately some of those voices happen to be in government but one thing I learned as a transplanted Californian is that many of the stereotypes I had about the south were wrong. This isn't to discount the negatives, of course.

Edit: A much bigger problem is a general ignorance about history, which is a nationwide problem but which manifests in different ways in different places. I've spoken about this before so I won't rehash old stories, but misconceptions abound about things like the Civil War in the north and the south alike. In the south it happens to take the form of white washing the horrors of slavery, which is remarkably distasteful. Northerners and westerners white wash their histories just as much, it's just not quite so distasteful as trying to say that slavery either wasn't that bad or never really happened. Anyway, as you can see I like to talk about the Civil War, so I'll stop before I get too impassioned!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Monkeyface

I've been to Auschwitz, where 1.1 million people were killed due to Zyklon B, starvation, medical experimentation, hard labour, infectious diseases, etc.

I've been to the killing fields in Cambodia, where around 2 million where killed.

I've been to the American WWII cemetary, where over 8,000 fallen soldiers are buried.

I've been to the Soviet war memorial in Berlin to commemorate the over 20 million Soviet WW2 deaths.

When I go to China I'll commemorate the 45 million people that died during Mao's Great Leap Forward, even though there is no one place to commemorate it.

When I go to Japan I'll make sure to go to the site of unit 731, where between 3,000 and 12,000 people were killed.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a great many places and wars that caused an enormous amount of suffering.
    The horror of these places is almost unimaginable, and they all leave a lasting impression. Everyone should visit them in order to understand the gravity of the situation. Let's hope history does not repeat itself.

4 people like this.
  12. Caustic Man

Here here!

13. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

Sadly, I've seen my share of confederate flags in Massachusetts (mostly what we call the South Shore which is a bunch towns south of Boston). I don't get it, here or anywhere else. With each passing year, moving out of the United States for good not only looks appealing but feels like a good choice.

1 person likes this.
  14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I came across a mall kiosk selling rebel flag stickers and trinkets in northern New York. My wife encountered dune buggies in Arizona with rebel flags.

[​IMG]

15. Caustic Man

I've encountered liberals in Alabama.

16. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

That's re-assuring.

17. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

I hope you see the irony of this...

18. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Trouble is, if you're a citizen, you basically have to renounce your citizenship or you get screwed over by the tax code and things like FATCA.

19. Caustic Man

Not to the Gipper.

1 person likes this.
  20. Monkeyface

Just read up on this, and apparently the South Korean government concealed a massacre of between 100,000-1.2 million people for 4 decades. Survivors were forbidden by the government from revealing it, under suspicion of being communist sympathizers. Public revelation carried with it the threat of torture and death. During the 1990s, several corpses were excavated from mass graves, resulting in public awareness of the massacre.

Something about sins and throwing stones..