1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Noodlers, y'all need to get up in this. The following neats are 40 pounds before VAT is deducted. Exquisite Trimmings:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Yes those ties are giant. And no I didn't spoiler that shit. This is GNAT. Y'all only thought I started this thread to help Noodles. Those who know me knew I really just started it as a place to post giant pictures of neckties.

I particularly like that blue neat.

More from ET (45 pounds)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barney's Warehouse is having a father's day sale, and all their ties are 40% off, including some Bigi grenadines (not particularly attractive ones). The one tie that jumped out as decent at south of 50USD:

[​IMG]
    Bit skinny and I know nothing of Uman.

http://www.barneyswarehouse.com/uman-dash-stripe-grenadine-neck-tie-503596895.html

I'm sort of surprised that this is still in stock from Henry Carter (~60USD)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Not at all surprised. Neither am I sure why he's selling used neckties that are so obviously frayed... :confused:

2 people like this.
  3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

At least you're trying. : ) (to SVB)

And SB is trolling hard right now

1 person likes this.
  4. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

I almost bought the green neat.....not sure why I didn't. I could use it.

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Well. So. You should. Now.

6. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of the red in that green neat. It's probably more subdued in person.

1 person likes this.
  7. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

8. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Well-Known Member

Let's just say that I'm who Bill O'Reilly complains about every year.

1 person likes this.
  9. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

You're really 5'10?

You look about 6'5 there. How much do you weigh?

10. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

veni wins. go MTM and get middle ground

11. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

I have this one - highly recommended. Should hopefully look great with my summer grey glen plaid suit

12. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing out the sale, Claghorn. I went for the grey plaid and a grey neat. A bit more useful than brown neats for me, as I mainly wear black shoes.

1 person likes this.
  13. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

I have the grey ET neat - it's a good tie. I hate to sound Noodle-esque, but the green neat and the navy/light blue neat are both only available in 8cm widths so I took a pass.

1 person likes this.
  14. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

9 cm or 3.5" all the way, baby!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  15. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

TNWSS

2 people like this.
  16. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

^^what does that mean?

17. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Mine arrived a couple of days ago. It's a corker.

It means Mrs Noodles might consider him to be barely over half way.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    2 people like this.
  18. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and support @Monkeyface 's suggestion that SVB could improve his overall clothing experience by working out for a while to modify his body shape and proportions.

It seems like reasonable advice to me and I'm really not sure why it was slapped down with such vehemence.

After twenty years of carrying a spare tyre, I finally decided to do something about it. I've lost a measly 4kg over the past four months or so. Pathetic really, but it's made a big difference to how my clothes fit and I'm very pleased I did it.

MF's advice was clearly offered in good faith and without malice. Sure, building up muscle won't make bow legs less bowed, but it might shift visual balance away from those bow legs. I have bow legs too. So do some other very well-dressed guys on this forum. We've found solutions and therefore so can you.

SVB, I fully understand that you may not be in a position to follow MF's specific advice for any number of reasons. Or you might just like yourself a real lot the way you are right now, and that's fine too. But you're asking for advice, people are giving it, and I feel the generosity of that should be recognised, even if some of the thinking is a little more "lateral" than you expected.

Good luck with your trouser journey. I need to lift my trouser game too.

5 people like this.
  19. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Ah. Trouble is I was only thinking of ties.

Thoughts on this one?

[​IMG]

20. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Re: Body Shape

I think this is a tough one. Specifically, I think that different people have different and varied problems with gaining muscle mass, losing weight, etc., such that there is not a one size fits all policy. Further, some people just don't have the time to hit the gym every day. Between cardio and weights, I prefer weights, and I don't have 1.5-2 hours a day to spend on "self improvement." We are all here because we like clothing. I agree, having a good physique is HUGE for tailored clothing. But I don't think that is necessarily the "answer." Some people like how they look as is, without feeling the need to get muscles.

Re: MTM

I am on team @PatrickR here. MTM, in my opinion, is just not worth it, unless you have a physique that is made for MTM. One of the purposes of tailoring is to hide your flaws, or at least make them less apparent. You have narrow shoulders? A little bit of shoulder extension. You have a puny chest? A fuller chest. When you are measuring yourself for MTM (well, at least online MTM, and some bad MTM services), you are going to measure your dimensions, which, oftentimes, are not aesthetically pleasing. For me, at least, MTM is in the no man's land between RTW and Bespoke, such that there really does not seem to be much of a benefit. MTM cannot fix a lot of the problems that bespoke can, and, unlike RTW, it can often lead to disastrous results.