1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jungleroller

jungleroller Well-Known Member

I'm not against patch pockets by any means. I'll check out nordstrom rack in the next couple days. If not there I'll probably head back to Suit Supply and try on some jackets. Is there any specific gorge/quarters tips to keep in mind? Sometimes I fail to consider all the options.

2. jungleroller

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Lapels look a bit wimpy too. A navy blazer is something so essential I'd hold out until you find one that's near perfect for you. It's better to buy one great expensive one, than 3 cheap mediocre ones.

4. jungleroller

Agreed. I'm on the hunt.

5. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

^^ Agree with Monkeyface on the above jacket. I also don't love the idea of flannel for your sole navy jacket.

6. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

You shouldn't have a sole navy jacket if you live somewhere that has more than 1 season, in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  7. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i will agree with clags that i prefer patch pockets on most SCs, but i do not at all find them a necessity when choosing a SC. the cut, lapels, hue and fabric are all more important to me. the patch pockets are a nice bonus. im still on the hunt for a nice navy SC with patch pockets, i hope to come across one soon enough. or maybe ill just have ed make me one!

8. jungleroller

Is this true?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  9. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

There are many such truths. Which is to say, it is not false.

10. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

This is the same jacket from couple days ago where I buttoned the top and it didn't look so good back then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's a shot from the back per your request. Don't know if the fit looks good. (I really need to work on my leg muscles).

[​IMG]

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I have no idea what that's trying to say, but no, it's not true. A sportcoat doesn't have sleeve buttons or patch pockets? That's just dumb. There's no rule that blazers need to have two buttons or patches, though that's a common and acceptable configuration, if you like.

3 people like this.
  12. in stitches

Personally, I just dont like te word blazer and I almost always just say SC. :embar:

1 person likes this.
  13. jungleroller

I always thought they were synonymous. Then browsing for some I'm seeing the two differentiated.

14. in stitches

I think some here say those bad boys with metal buttons are blazers, but idrk.

15. eilay

eilay Well-Known Member

Looks like the back could be cleaned up slightly to me (or it might just be your shirt or pose)

16. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

My understanding is that sport coat is commonly used as a synonym for odd jacket. A navy blazer is a type of odd jacket and it can (but does not have to) have metal buttons. In the United States, it is also probably the most commonly owned and worn odd jacket and, paired with medium grey flannel trousers, is generally seen as a bit more formal than other odd jackets but less formal than a city suit. Navy blazers can have patch pockets but do not have to, same as other odd jackets. Only difference is that the navy blazer due to being a solid jacket in a color commonly reserved for suits can use some help differentiating itself from an orphaned suit jacket (metal buttons, patch pockets) help here. A typical tweed odd jacket is not going to be mistaken for an orphaned suit coat just because it lacks patch pockets.

Definitely agree with this, but in many climates one can find something that works well for most of the year (in my case every season except summer). If you are less likely to wear odd jackets in the summer, you can probably get away with a F/W-esque blazer for most of the year.

2 people like this.
  17. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Rudals: I am perplexed as to why you thought the top button buttoned looked better.

1 person likes this.
  18. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

It's always been my understanding that since the 1930s "blazer" refers to a subset of "sport coat," and that by definition these days a blazer is in a single solid color. So a sport coat might be plaid, but a blazer cannot be. Earlier (pre-1930s) blazers were frequently striped.

Cheers,

Ac

19. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

It just looked sharper to me.

20. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Nah, top button undone looks a million times better!!! [​IMG]

2 people like this.