1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Sarto could do it well...

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Noodles, some linens for summer?

Looking through this book for some Panta MTOs

[​IMG]

They even have some blue linens for your odd trousers

3. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Well-Known Member

Yep , I do remember seeing that and the grey pairings in that thread were one part of my thinking that to get the most of my jacket I might want to go with very light grey or possibly cream/white or... in the other direction, ahem... dark grey/ charcoal which is where my question came from several pages back. My take away from the charcoal pant conversation was that when people 'dislike' charcoal pants they often mean they dislike the idea of paying money to have them due to their lack of versatility as opposed to disliking them when they appear in good fits 'just because'. Some people will always dislike navy pants due to the association with delivery guys and mechanics. I'm happy that charcoal seems to be free of those associations and won't be scoffed at should they work out to be the right pants for my jacket.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  4. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

SAs are hit or miss. For those who are just doing it because it is a job it is more likely than not that they don't know crap about what they're selling. But for those who are doing it because they actually really like clothing, they are often fairly knowledgeable or more.

Also, ime, and understandably, higher end stores usually (but certainly not always) have SAs that are more knowledgeable, or at least have on hand one dude who knows his stuff.

5. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Well-Known Member

I bought shoes the same day and thought that the woman at the same store who helped me with that was really good. She talked me out of spending a bunch of cash on Canali or Ferregamo and actually 'downsold' me to a pair of AE's which were a much more sensible purchase for me at the time.

1 person likes this.
  6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the fit comments. I never considered myself "slope shouldered", since it sounds like something a physically weak person would have. I do, however, have well developed lats sitting on a very square shoulder. A bit of googling showed a bunch of old fit pictures of other muscular thin guys with exactly the same fit anomalies as I have. The forward canted shoulder is something else - I spent all day trying to figure out if it's posture or structure.

So what's everyone's take on a better RTW shoulder style for a sloped shoulder? It seems like a fully natural, more rounded, shoulder would produce less weird pulling.

7. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

You guys realize that WE are the weird ones and the joke (trolling) would actually be on us, right?

5 people like this.
  8. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

How would the joke be on us?

a) we're self-aware.
    b) we're the actors. Everyone else is passive. Who would be trolling us?

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

How is that possible when it's their job? If I were selling something, I'd make damn sure I read everything about it. You don't want to look like you don't know what you're talking about every day you're at work, and it doesn't seem like fun either.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  10. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

So the idiots who sold me three 48R suits knew what they were doing? They never bothered to ask me to size up. Wasn't it part of their job to sell a properly fitting suit? Them 48R suits made me look like a pair-man.

11. The Noodles

Um...that was like~ so~ racist#

I was like waiting for my train wheb like this white guy asked me if my wife is the one who makes those #Vietnamese# eggrolls# He told me that his wife has been telling him to look for an #Asian man at the train station who is her friend's husband. #weird. #racist. There arw like other Asians and I pointed them out but he said he was looking for a tall Asian#

Happened just now. Tgif#

12. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

YHBT. YHL. HAND.

13. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

At least he didn't say a tall Asian with a pear shaped body.

3 people like this.
  14. Murlsquirl

Because what we consider "knowledge" about menswear, most guys would think is ridiculous.

5 people like this.
  15. The Noodles

Everyone is into something. We all have emptiness in us and we try to fill it with something. For some it could be cars and for us it is menswear. Most people wear suits everyday probably couldn't care any less about fit and all, at least it appears that way from the way they dress. If my wife is a good representative of the general people, then I am a nut job who cares way too much at very unimportant stuff when there are more important things in life.

#truth

2 people like this.
  16. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

Nope. They just knew more than you at the time (or, rather, banked on the fact you didn't know any better) And they were probably going for an aesthetic that was at odds with what is considered normal or acceptable on this forum.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
    2 people like this.
  17. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

OTOH, she buys purses at several $1000 a pop, so she obviously has some appreciation for the luxury market (which, tbh, suits >$1000 are a part of).

1 person likes this.
  18. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

You get specific enough, all trivia is ridiculous. And menswear knowledge is scarce more than trivia at times.

But "trolling" requires an actor.

For example. You. Now. :)

1 person likes this.
  19. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Well-Known Member

Grenadine Garza or Fina weave?

Specifically, seeking navy blue staple tie. I have the wide pointed silk knit from the knottery for more casual occasions (see below).
    [​IMG]

This will be for business occasions. also, I have rough hands, so worried about snagging and durability, if that is a factor in deciding between the two weaves. thanks in advance. Any reason not to order from Hober?

20. Murlsquirl

Ok, I don't think we have the same definition of a troll. I don't see a troll as an actor, just a provoking shit disturber whose goal is to rile people up. Maybe I just don't understand exactly how you plan on trolling the SAs....anywho, carry on trolling. Troll.

1 person likes this.