1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

Fine for SC. Too casual for Suit

1 person likes this.
  2. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thoughts on this suit / tie / shirt combo?

Grey Birdseye / dark turquoise / light blue

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  3. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

Definitely Argentina and a hop over to Rio

4. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Costa Rica
    Seychelles
    South Africa

5. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

One could live in Naples for a full month on 4000 USD or less? Good news, if true.

That price limitation would rule our much travel once one arrived at the country of one's choosing. In many of the places I'd like to go it would mean staying put in a single self-catering rental for the duration. That would be fine if it was a city. If it was in the country I'd want to rent a car, and that would be a considerable additional expense.

If the travel could be done in the 'off season', that would help a lot, financially speaking.

Cheers,

Ac

6. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Well-Known Member

Personally, I find paisley hard to wear (except when the colors are very close together). Preference for strongly colored ties under a sweater or maybe even with a DB where it pops at the top near the collar without being visually overwhelming. Not sure it goes with the birdseye; a more conservative tie might be better.

1 person likes this.
  7. venividivicibj

I never found paisley attractive personally.

8. Bill Dlwgosh

Bill Dlwgosh Well-Known Member

I'd go to Banff, Alberta and rent a car then make the drive through the Rockies to Vancouver. From there, take a train to Seattle and again rent a car to see Seattle then Portland and on to San Fran, the PCH along the coast to LA, Vegas and San Diego. Aside from Vancouver which I thought was Fantastic I haven't seen any of these places and I imagine San Fran as a place I'd like to eventually live.

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Thanks for the all of the advice, guys! The US/Canada/most of Europe will probably be too expensive for a month. SEA would be very cheap, as I've lived off $15-25 a day there including food/accommodation and most transportation, so for $100/day I could live like a king. I suppose the same goes for South America. I might just make it into a scuba diving holiday either in asia or the caribbean islands.

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Fine (assuming you like the tie)

2 people like this.
  11. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

Why ruin the look with that tie?

12. venividivicibj

Opinions?

Obviously I don't need 4 striped blue ties.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

I can't imagine that feeling.

I like the gren with the brown and light blue, or the last one. The shantung is nice, but if you're somehow going to get by with fewer than four navy striped ties, then a summer-only one doesn't make sense. I just don't love the next to last one.

14. TweedyProf

@venividivicibj

They all seem nice. I've picked the third as one I'm considering. I tend to like less density in stripes as in the fourth but I can see it working in certain fits. It would have been terrific if slightly less dense (yrr92 and I have flipped preferences here).

Are the first two berg and berg? I'm still uncertain about the quality of those ties though I know many have them and are quite happy. Can't go wrong with the triple stripe shantung for summer.

Incidentally, I can't tell if this one will be surprisingly great or a train wreck or something in between. The brown/green is appealing though the texture contrast is, well, different.

[​IMG]

15. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

Right through the heart, Noodles, right through the heart

1 person likes this.
  16. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Better with tweed and darker imo @sebastianmcfox

1 person likes this.
  17. venividivicibj

First two are viola Milano. I wasn't considering the second one until I saw this from victor on here:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    2 people like this.
  18. TweedyProf

Last edited: May 23, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  19. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

My vote also goes to the blue from ET

1 person likes this.
  20. Newcomer

Newcomer Well-Known Member

Noodlers, something that has been concerning me lately, thought I would stick it here.

Do you think we have reached "textured tie" overload? In the past few pages, we have seen shantungs, boucles, linen, etc., and very rarely have I seen what I would call "normal" ties. I know that there is precedence for some of these textures. In particularly, shantungs, grenadines, and knits. But are we going a bit too far in the other direction? I am intrigued by the silk slubby hopsack grenadine. Don't get me wrong. But rarely have I seen it in use and thought to myself, this was the ideal tie for this outfit.

On an unrelated note, I have realized I rarely, if ever, reach for my neats.

So I am not really sure where I stand in this.

And as I say all the above, I must say I am a grenadine, knit, and shantung lover.