1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

My experience with grades has been...no employer has ever ever ever asked what my gpa is. Also, no employer gave an @ss where I went to school. Just my experience.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

In my experience, which is only from the outside, a kid who receives a "C" is doomed in recruiting. It might make less of a difference for MBAs, but for BBAs I'd say it's a strong signal that something is wrong.

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

It is for networking. That is the main advantage. If you were already in business, or majored in something business related (finance, accounting, engineering, econ, etc) then you're not learning tons of new stuff

(Exception is if you're using an MBA to do a career switch, then you are learning new stuff, and it is worth it just for the degree.)

Grades matter for your first job out of school. After that no one cares, and no one asks.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

My theory is that students at top b-schools are high achievers who feel self-conscious that they are not working as hard as students at their university's law school. I say embrace it: "We work less than you, have more fun, and will be making a lot more money when we get out."

5. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

So you finally decided to get that Kent Wang suit? :D

6. The Noodles

...and thank the Lord for that! [​IMG]

As for the networking part of MBAs...why not just save your money and go LinkedIn? (It's a stupid statement but still)

7. The Noodles

Sorry, K.W. = Korean Wife and KW = Kent Wang[​IMG]

But I got a pair of trousers from KW and will pick up tomorrow. If I like it then I'll get a suit.

8. venividivicibj

Unless you do Finance. Then B-School is a break from 12-14 hour workdays.

9. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

Often it's hard to know this for sure, don't you think, since in many cases an employers first impression of a potential employee involves the perusal of the latter's resume?

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  10. The Noodles

I knew someone would point that out as I was typing away. You're right.
    When I look at resumes though, I look more at what they have to say in their resume under experience and at which companies they have worked. School...probably matters to a degree, more so if we're looking for an entry level candidate.

We've had MBA dudes from Wharton and Stern...not always the brightest when it came to work and presenting.

11. venividivicibj

LOL. Some people just don't like/aren't good at presenting [​IMG]

12. Joenobody0

Wharton takes a zillion people a year. Some will be turds with a family connection.

13. rms340

rms340 Well-Known Member

I had my first Suit Supply experience today. Stopped by the one in Dallas that's inside Stanley Korshak. I went into the Men's suit section and was overwhelmed and drooling over all the Kiton, Isaia, and other high end menswear, but then was told all the Suit Supply stuff was in the 'modern menswear' section across the way. The SA's were a lot more friendly over on the SuSu side, probably because they were more around my age and the old men in the high end wear saw a 20-something year old (I honestly look like I'm 20 years old even though I'm 27) and thought I didn't know anything about anything over there. Ended up buying a tie and PS, but I was impressed by the clothes and price point.

14. The Noodles

LOL, I was waiting for pictures to load.

I don't know Stanley Korshak, but I am guessing it is kind of like NM. When my wife and I went to NM's Chanel section, a SA lady (Korean b!tch) arrogantly looked us up and down (I was in jeans and hoodie and puma sneakers) at first. Then when she was asked if they had a particular model, she laughed disrespectfully and responded, "Honey, that's an old model and we don't sell that. Get up to speed. C'mon!" I wanted to slap that ugly b!tch back to Seoul.

1 person likes this.
  15. rms340

rms340 Well-Known Member

Haha whoops! These are the 2 things I bought:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Honestly, I just posted here to vent about the SA's. I was wearing jeans and a casual plaid shirt, so I probably didn't look like I knew about suits, but it was a bit annoying that no one acknowledged me when I walked in. I think Stanley Korshak is only in Dallas and it is extremely high end, and in a rich part of town.

One thing I did notice about SuSu was that the ties & pocket squares loot different in person than on the website. The colors on the website don't depict the actual color of the ties/PS IRL . And I wish the ties were a bit wider. I can't really complain though, it's still a pretty good value though for a mid-20s student like me.

1 person likes this.
  16. The Noodles

What I don't understand is why SAs treat people based on looks. Sometimes they even look down on customers who are dressed poorly. Why? The people who shop there probably make more money than them. No disrespect to good hard working SAs.

2 gentlemen walk into the store. One dressed in a polo shirt, shorts, and flip flops. The other gentleman is in a full suit. The former is some rich exec and the latter is his driver. Bam!

17. Joenobody0

Because a SA wants to minimize time spent with tire-kickers. Sure they might miss out on a sale, but on average it might work.

1 person likes this.
  18. The Noodles

Tire kickers...hmmm...if I have no intention of buying then
    #1 I won't even go out
    #2 If I do go out, then I won't even ask and let them know that I am just looking.
    Bam!

19. venividivicibj

Sounds great, how many many times does that actually happen? If these guys are being paid on commission, then they need to find out who they can sell to, who is actually interested in purchasing rather than 'just browsing', and more likely than not, its not the guy walking up who looks like he just got out of the gym.

20. The Noodles

Uh...when I go to NM, I always see fat old dudes in a polo shirts, shorts, and flip-flops. Of course this is during weekends.