1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

What about firms saying 'made in USA' so they can charge more because they're 'bringing jobs home' and whatever, but employing undocumented workers.

4. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  5. Joenobody0

6. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I know you didn't take my remark seriously but, really, the stuff we generally talk about here isn't what is outsourced and made in those Chinese factories. There is however a massive industry of lower-priced or licensed fashion products that are made in Italy and sold at costs that allow mass retailers to still make money at the mandatory 50% markdowns... They pretty much have to find that low cost labor to even continue to exist. But those are fast fashion items, licensed deals, etc... much much bigger segment than the small sartorial makers we usually discuss here. I may be biased by my own experience with our makers, and I visited many of them, but there's still a good chunk of the men's high-end sector in Italy that is very proud to be truly made there - and the workers there stay with the same company for decades.

I don't deny the existence of this massive "made-in-Italy" apparel industry with all the cheating and deception that occur, but that's typically not the brands that we discuss here (unless we talk about Mrs Noodles handbag purchases [​IMG])

6 people like this.
  7. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

I am refusing to buy MIC because the history and perception of low quality. If I know that MIC is better, then I will buy MIC over MIL. I just heard too many bad things about MIC. I have made in Vietnam, made in Peru, made in Turkey, etc. I am basing all this on what I've seen and the history behind MIC.

Quote:
    @sugarbutch @gdl203
    SB, you're going to give me a picnic attack. I will redo all my trousers just because of this. [​IMG]

Greg, your thoughts on what SB said. I mean, Formosa suits are pretty traditional so I do not understand what he means by "they are not the right cut for "no break."

Give me a break, SB.

[​IMG]

I've come to dislike breaks but like cuffs when it used to be the reverse.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what SB means actually. The leg opening is 20 or 21cm, I think, so not a wide leg - it will look fine with a slight or no break.

1 person likes this.
  9. venividivicibj

Maybe he is just saying relax, not every little detail has to be perfect.

Also, break and cuffing are very subjective. If you like it, have it. Don't like break? Don't have it.

Doesn't matter. It's not a written standard.

-edited for succinctness

4 people like this.
  10. Joenobody0

It's also not 100% consistant unless you wear suspenders, since pants tend to float up and down.

1 person likes this.
  11. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Also, Noodles. This is why you have the tailor pin the trouser legs at the length you want while being sure to wear them where you like them to sit on your waist.

12. The Noodles

Never had a problem with my neighborhood tailor. She pinned. This tailor by the office just marked off and didn't pin. The results are FAIL.

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

If you like a tailor, stick with them.

3 people like this.
  14. The Noodles

Yes. Oh how I regret not sticking with my neighborhood tailor. It just was more convenient to go during the day to a tailor near the office. My hood tailor works like 10 to 6. I can't even get home by 6 pm.

No break is good...to my eyes.
    [​IMG]

By the way, I found a place called purseblog and they were trash talking about a particular LV purse that my wife wanted. I showed her that and was able to avoid a $4,400 disaster. I asked her what is the purpose of a purse? To carry stuff? A plastic bag can do that just as well as a Chanel or a Hermes purse.

15. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

That's a wonderful break right there.

6 people like this.
  16. yanagi

yanagi Well-Known Member

I agree.

2 people like this.
  17. venividivicibj

You can ask the same about a suit. using that logic, a $100 suit = a $6000 bespoke suit.

1 person likes this.
  18. The Noodles

She didn't bother...LOL

I just realized that if I start acting normal and smart, then that will be the end of this forum. [​IMG]

19. venividivicibj

edited

20. The Noodles

No, I am here to entertain. I hope I am not so stupid in real life as I come across this forum. [​IMG]

I think @Claghorn probably thought that this thread would last a very short time.

1 person likes this.