1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Teasing us, eh, SB? Looks good from what I can see!

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm quite pleased with it.

A detail shot:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  3. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Well-Known Member

Looking good, SB! I'll press you for details at the next meetup ;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

I am not pear shaped! I just have a big head, not broad shoulders, and skinny legs.
    I will freaking post a full naked picture of myself just to prove it!

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Well-Known Member

Do it - I'll make sure to quote it prior to deletion.

1 person likes this.
  7. The Noodles

The things SF'ers would do for style.
    I looked up and went to a tailor shop near work. It was about a 30 minute walk. The closer I got to the shop, the farther away I was getting from..."civilized area." People started looking at me as if I didn't belong there. When I finally arrived, the shop looked like a dump but found a fellow Korean gentleman at the door. He was an older gentleman and I had a bit of trouble understanding what he was saying at certain points. I just made sure that I got 1.75" cuffs and no breaks on my trousers. Now I can start wearing all of my Formosa suits and start my journey on OJT with the light gray Kent Wang trousers.

8. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is appropriate--Clags et al, delete if necessary--but in the spirit of this thread's focus on building a wardrobe of staple items, I have a recommendation. For those who need a versatile warm-weather navy sportcoat, SF affiliate Khaki's of Carmel is selling a lightweight, fully canvassed, almost unstructured navy hopsack from Ring Jacket for $636. Size up one from Eidos/Formosa if you have any mass whatsoever (I'm 5'9", 152 lbs, and by no means bulky, and the 40 fit my usually-a-38 frame perfectly).

2 people like this.
  9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I think that's well within the bounds of this thread's mission. Clags himself posts links to various ties and hanks he comes across.

1 person likes this.
  10. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Enjoy your floods!

Nothing wrong with this. That's a steal.

11. The Noodles

Anyone know where I can get this tie?
    Vanda has it but I want to know if there are shops in the US that sell this.
    [​IMG]

12. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Should have ordered one with your pants....Kent Wang. I believe NMWA has a blue/navy shepherds check too.

13. Patrick R

Patrick R Well-Known Member

14. The Noodles

I passed on it. Anywhere else?

15. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

Kim's Custom? Did you get a free cat with the alterations?

16. The Noodles

No, too far from my office. They serve sesame fried cats there???
    I went to Sammy Lee. I hope he's good. I will flip out if he effs up my trousers.

Quite a review on YELP.
    Sammy Lee at Capitol Hill Tailor Shop is the best tailor in the world. He can sew anything. His craftsmanship and skill are world class. I live in New York for half of every year and I save all my tailoring for him. He can alter any garment perfectly; he can copy any garment you own and make exactly the right adjustments for your size. His handwork is exquisite. He can tailor men's and women's clothing with exquisite precision and craftsmanship. His work is world class. His prices are MODEST for the quality of work he does. There is no tailoring challenge he cannot meet. You will never find a better tailor. He has relined coats and jackets for my husband; he has copied complicated dresses and suits for me and our daughter; he has transformed expensive cashmere and silk jackets for me, and has also patched nightgowns and pajamas! He has made breathtaking pillows for my home out of antique fabrics I collect. I cannot recommend him too highly. He can make any dress or suit you want -- just bring him the fabric of your choice. He can make a superb man's suit from an excellent selection of fabrics he keeps in his shop. He can repair holes in sweaters and conceal moth holes in woolen coats. He finishes every garment beautifully. If you have a favorite dress or suit ,and would like it in a new fabric or color, or with the size, style, or length adjusted, he can do it flawlessly. You can ask for fittings through the process if you want; you can ask him to make the sleeves any length you want. If you are seeking a repair, he can patch a hole with fabric from inside the pocket, from a too-long hem; or you can bring in new fabric you select. He can let out any jacket, pants or dress, or take them in. He can cuff pants or finish them un-cuffed. He sews on buttons and replaces zippers -- He does it all! If you ask him for a price up front, he will tell you. He is THE BEST!

17. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

You're just getting the pants taken up & cuffed, right? He'd have to be pretty awful to mess that up..

1 person likes this.
  18. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

Haha yea, I'm pretty sure I can hem and cuff my own pants if I owned a sewing machine

19. The Noodles

I just hope he puts no breaks and cuffs it right. I am always very weary of tailors, if they're new.

Found this place called Turnball and Asser or something.$190 for this.
    [​IMG]

20. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Well-Known Member

You could do it without a machine by hand. I grew tired of my tailor always erring +/- 0,25" so I said enough is enough. I've started hemming my own trousers. By hand. And putting a cuff on them. Now, all my trousers measures 30" inseam and 1,75" cuff. Couldn't be happier.

2 people like this.