1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

2. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

I live in Nashville area, and have a charity ball in a month or so and am looking to purchase a suit that I can use for work as well. I wear sport coats almost daily at work, but haven't worn a suit since a funeral in 2004. For this event they said "Event attire is dressy, summer casual" (assume temps in the 80s) I was thinking a linen suit and shirt, monk straps and no tie. I saw pictures from last years event and saw men in suits to dudes in Khakis and Polo shirts.

I would appreciate any suggestions on a suit (not fixated on linen, just a thought) that I can sport coat out the jacket. I am a 44R
    Also not set on a suit either, would not mind a new jacket and pants for warm weather either.
    Monk straps (have wide feet so usual suggestions don't work, I wear 10.5EEE AEs) or other shoes?
    Shirt (Linen shirt with linen suit?)
    Never wear PS, so white linen would probably be as far as I feel comfortable

I was checking out Suit Supply and saw a few I was interested in. I think the Napoli cut would be best for me, but everything is slim cut and I am far from slim in the thighs.

3. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but check out Haymakers in Nashville, if you haven't already. @jimstyles is very helpful

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  4. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Yeah, basically what I thought. And $7-800 is two simple Suit Supply numbers that I know are perfectly serviceable, and will cost me $20 to adjust locally if need be. Just wondered if there were any hidden gems but it seems I should just ride an elephant and enjoy the beaches.

None at all. Your beaters are beaten. If you love them, you could send them to Luxire or something for copying, and let them burn them for you?

Forget linen. It's fun, but wrinkles like a mutha and always looks a bit casual. It's not all that sharp in a businessy colour either, though I've been there.

I think you're on the right track with Suit Supply: check your measurements carefully, and don't use the size advisor unless you want to look like a stuffed sausage. It sounds like we're a similar size; I'd go a Euro 56, which is US 44 almost exactly. Most of the SS suits have quite slim legs (which you will probably need taking up by your tailor, by the way), so perhaps try a more conservative cut to start? I'd suggest the Livorno, which as well as being very comfortable, is also the cheapest: they have a lightweight wool in plain navy that would fit your purpose perfectly.

If you want to be summery, then wear light tan shoes and a peach linen tie. But for your shirt, stay with a light cotton poplin, and your suit go for a summer weight wool or wool/silk mix. Plain navy is always the correct suit to be wearing, whether it's a wedding or a wake.

2 people like this.
  5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

@noodles , I think there is a rule somewhere that you should not be wearing your pants at the time you take an extreme close-up of your crotch.

3 people like this.
  6. The Noodles

Glad no one passed by my office as I was taking a picture of my crotch! [​IMG]

7. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Fwiw, that's probably wear because of your nail at the top and from the zipper in the middle. More reason to go button fly!

1 person likes this.
  8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Nay. It should be "King of TASSEKS"

Like neckties? :confused:

9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Nay. Just talked to Stitchy and he has a winner.

10. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

It seems to me if you are not going to be wearing a tie, a sport coat will do just fine and will probably be a better choice. I have no idea what "dressy, summer casual" is (seriously, who comes up with these nonsensical dress codes) but with a description like that would not be shocked to see a majority of people in just trousers and a shirt with no jacket. Good for you for wanting to do a bit more, but I think the sport coat is fine. As far as the suit is concerned, if you haven't worn one in a decade (and presumably don't have a good one that fits), I would get a solid navy or grey suit in wool. It may not be fun, but it is a staple and will serve you well at any event that calls for a suit. I think given your location, a tropical weight wool suit is probably a good bet. SuitSupply is probably a good bet overall. Brooks Brothers can be decent as well, but best purchased on sale.

1 person likes this.
  11. The Noodles

That is very insightful, Rish. [​IMG]
    Thanks. I have button flys on all my trousers now but it's a picnic attack when I really have to go but I have to unbutton like 10 buttons!

12. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

I like bit loafers, but I also like Hermes ties, so clearly I'm a loss to the world. GDL has the final word on what they mean in the NY area, though I only see banker types wearing them with suits or shorts -- not so much the way AAS does, or how most of the SF crowd would want to.

13. dRm0j0

dRm0j0 Well-Known Member

Hello all,

Do you guys recommend buying shoes specifically for rainy days? If so, what kind of leather (calf, suede etc) and what type of style (chukka/loafer, etc) would you recommend? This shoe would preferably be dressy enough to wear with a suit.

The reason I'm asking is because I feel as calf performs really terrible during the rain. Not only does it completely ruin the shine, it also leaves a whole bunch of rain spots which I find hard to get out without using Saphir Renovateur or your preferred conditioner.

Any help/suggestions would be sincerely appreciated,

B

14. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

I think many of use have "beater" shoes we use in crappy weather. I know I do. Calf actually holds up pretty well to moisture. All you have to do is let them dry naturally after they get wet. When you get home and you see those little rain spots, put your shoes in shoe trees and let them sit for a day or two. The spots will disappear on their own. No work required. Of course, a nice shine afterward is a good idea. As for me I don't have any particular style I use for the rain, just usually cheaper shoes I don't mind putting through the ringer one in a while.

15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Probably a good idea to have used wax based polish on the shoes for a bit of proofing. Also dainite soles etc.

1 person likes this.
  16. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

That's fine. You guys are free to be wrong. :)

18. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

A drink says you will admit you were wrong when you see it.

19. dRm0j0

dRm0j0 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input guys,

Damn... I didn't know rain spots disappear on their own?! Learn something new everyday :) So it's really down to using non-leather soles and keeping up with the polish then?

20. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

For the most part, yes. Keep them clean too. Someone posted a pic of rubber overshoes which some people find useful.