1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Black shoes are easy, especially with suits. It's not shocking that there are going to be some people who enjoy the challenges of learning about classic menswear who go far off the deep end. Brown shoes can be very elegant and beautiful in a lot of outfits, even if they are not the most formal choice, but personal preference goes too far IMO here when people actually start acting with contempt towards black shoes. That's about as rational as hating navy suits.

2. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

I think I should correct my stance. Its not that I hate black shoes. I just dont prefer them when given a choice of wearing black or brown. I go to brown almost 99% of the time. My only exception would be obvs a black suit which I also dont own or need.

3. WeakMonday

WeakMonday Well-Known Member

Once all black shoes have been eliminated... Those with black hair are next. What will be the approved styleforum hair color for those with the wrong natural hair color? I'm thinking tobacco or oxblood

1 person likes this.
  4. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I did for my only black shoe. Shell punch cap. Now I practically ooze with character. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Well-Known Member

It seems as a couple of members own black double monks. So the question is, do you wear it with suits or with sport coats? If with the latter, how do you put together the rest of the outfit? Obviously, with black shoes you'll become limitied as a lot of opportunities falls away, such as brown accessories (tie, PS). Or you would think, at least. Would love to see some good examples including SCs and black double monks.

6. losrockets

losrockets Well-Known Member

I found myself rarely wearing my black Park Aves (though that has a lot to do with the shape and fit) and wanting something affordable and black in my shoe rotation so I purchased these about 1.5 years ago and now really enjoy having a pair of black shoes in my wardrobe. They won't work in the most formal settings but I've found them to be acceptable almost anywhere else I would wear a solid navy or gray suit or trim-fitting gray wool trousers.

[​IMG]

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7715_1_40000000001_-1

7. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

I don't wear black DM's with SC's (I only own a couple of these, and they're all quite summery given my location, so black wouldn't work well), but do with suits. Holdfast almost always has/had black DM's in his fit pics.

1 person likes this.
  8. archibaldleach

Black monks, grey trousers, blue jacket. Done. Works with casual suits as well in the right color. Also would work with a black/white herringbone tweed jacket. Sure it doesn't go with everything, but it's hardly limited in any meaningful sense.

9. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Well-Known Member

Maybe I was unclear: it's relatively limited, not absolut. I'm not questioning, just being curious on how to pair them up. The fit you described would be one good way, and the most obvious. Thanks.
    What about outside the security guard spectrum? What about with tie?

10. archibaldleach

For odd jackets, you can probably do more with dark brown double monks than black double monks. So while there are some looks that work best with black double monks versus brown, the brown ones will be more versatile in the odd jacket context.

I stand by my recommendation of pretty much any grey trouser. I don't love navy odd trousers with jackets, but that's beyond the scope here and they would work with the black double monk. I do think that blue jackets and grey tweed and herringbone are the best bet. I think the "security guard" concern is a bit overhyped around here, but I'd point out that blue jackets cover navy blazers of all sorts, blue Donegal, blue herringbone tweed, pretty much any blue jacket with checks in the Moonbeam and similar fabric books, linen, tropical weight wool checks and a bunch of other things that are not a blazer. As far as grey jackets are concerned, they're harder to pair with grey trousers but there are some really nice salt and pepper tweeds, houndstooth jackets, etc. A cream jacket for summer in the evening could also work. I'd think pretty much any tie other than brown would not be an issue.

1 person likes this.
  11. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

I like black shoes. That being said, I think there's a logical explanation why brown is favored so much here. There are just less interesting ways you can incorporate a black shoe into a fit. Some outfits absolutely call for it and there, black shoes look great. But it will never be a real challenge to combine them succesfully, and much of this forum is exactly about that: pulling off delicate, well-thought-of fits with ease.

Shell would be too informal for my only black shoe. Calf all the way.

12. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Posted a fit today in WAYWRN with black DMs. I dont think brown shoes would have worked there at all. Feel free to have a look and share your thoughts. : )

1 person likes this.
  13. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

With the shirt and tie you are wearing, I agree.

1 person likes this.
  14. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

The idiom-blending in that fit is really excellent IMHO. I love the formality of monochrome that's dressed down just a bit by the DMs and the donegal fabric.

One of my favorite ways to wear black shoes with SCs is in "northern lights" fits, with charcoal trousers, an Oxford cloth shirt, black knit tie, and donegal or PoW SC. Cleav and Pingson do this well and, I think, do it with black shoes from time to time.

1 person likes this.
  15. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

My man, helden. Thanks!

Also, CM, outside of a black suit there is not really any suit that couldn't work with black or brown shoes depending on the rest of the items in the rig.

The point I was trying to make was that while some ensembles could work with either color shoe, others really do call for one color shoe only. Imo anyways.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  16. Caustic Man

This may have been easier to pair with brown shoes that stitchman's, but black still fits better IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Caustic Man

Very light suits, like white, cream, or natural linen colored suits wouldn't work with black but, for the most part, you are right. Black shoes can even work with brown suits given some effort.

1 person likes this.
  18. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

I got my hair dyed during my vacation to a dark brown, does this mean I must wear brown shoes?

2 people like this.
  19. justinkapur

justinkapur Well-Known Member

Stitch I agree your outfit looks incredible especially with the black shoes.

If I was in your shoes (har har) I wouof have worn a rust color tie and suede shoes. Again I don't want to take away from your fit because it's incredible.

I see the argument now it's if I really want to spring for a pair of black.

20. europrep

europrep Well-Known Member

I am in a similar boat.  I own black DM and black boots, but never wanted to spring for the classic lace-up.  If you ever thought about trying Meccariello MTM, it is a great way to get a black lace-up and a custom brown.  Given you first get a test shoe that is very wearable for 300 euros, make it black.  Then your final shoe can be what ever you want.  This is what I am in the process of doing.  Wearing my test shoes today (black with navy undertones).  

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015