1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Well-Known Member

Not always true but for the most part, yes. The only people I can think of that make a true 7 fold made from one piece of silk is those that should not be mentioned (initials P.C) and look how that turned out for everyone....:nest:

2. John P

John P Member

This thread is killing my effort to save for retirement. I'll have to work until I'm 75. Thanks for letting me lurk & learn! [​IMG]

I see so many suits here, I rarely see any tie bars/slides/clips/tacs. Do you gents use them? If so, what are your favorites?

3. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

It happens, I suppose. But for every person who ends up spending more than he otherwise might there are probably a couple dozen who saved money by taking to heart one of the thread’s foundational pieces of advice: don’t make impulse purchases—research first, and then acquire accordingly and systematically.

The most expensive item of clothing is the one you only wear a couple of times.

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    4 people like this.
  4. Ihami

Ihami Member

I've bought this blazer for my work and I am not sure how to pair it with suitable trousers, I have tried jeans with it, but it does not seem to work. The fabric of this jacket is 55 wool 45 cotton so is it best to wear wool flannel trousers with it?

I'll post fit pics later

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Well-Known Member

6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Grey wool trews, or gray linen/cotton chinos or such. Is it unstructured like it looks to be?

7. Ihami

Ihami Member

Yes it is, and with the trousers, what shoes do you suggest? I was considering black tassels

Also of note, the check is grey and dark blue, rather than the black it seems to be

8. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member

How's this Noodlers?
    [​IMG]
    My first concern was that this is black and white and I am going to wear it with a navy suit. Then again, we wear black shoes with navy suits so maybe this doesn't break SF rule no. 777.

9. 997CTSurg

997CTSurg Well-Known Member

Details?

10. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Well-Known Member

B&W/Silver POW is pretty standard with Navy suits

1 person likes this.
  11. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

For a wedding? ^^^

12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I'd wear brown shoes or maybe burgundy/oxblood. I wouldn't wear black with that jacket imho.

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Noodles, that tie is absolutely a classic with a navy suit. So is a black tie. So is a grey tie (which this basically is).

2 people like this.
  14. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

@The Noodles as others have said, that tie is a classic. A word of caution though: lightish grey, which this tie basically is, is not the most flattering colour for the Asian complexion.

15. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

This has been debunked in other parts of the thread!!!

Also, you're going to give Noodles a PICNIC ATTACK!!!

16. The Noodles

Agree. This thread actually saves me money. I used to be the king of impulse purchases when I first started. I remember picking up ties left and right from NM, only to be spanked and disciplined to return them. I have return at least a dozen neckties and an Isaia suit that I purchased from NM at full price. And the savings keep piling up. This thread is like a condom for my impulses...there mUST be a better analogy but I cannot think of a better one.

I hope you are joking. Light grey is fine for a man of my complexion. It is the charcoal gray color that gives us trouble. If what you say is true then I must burn my P.O.W. suit right now and just let it turn black.

http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Ties/Prince-of-Wales-Check-Silk-Jacquard-Tie.html

17. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Debunked by whom and on what grounds? I'm not convinced.
    My intention is to save Noodles from having a picnic attack later on...

1 person likes this.
  18. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

No, not joking but I should have been more specific: warm grey, like your pow suit is ok. Cool grey like that tie is less ok. I'm not saying it's wrong, I merely said I think it's not the most flattering. And it's only my opinion...

1 person likes this.
  19. The Noodles

So then a Glenn plaid with dark navy or navy would be a better alternative?

I appreciate you bringing it up, although I doubt that it would be an issue....

Better alternative?
    [​IMG]

20. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Personally, I much prefer navy/white plaid over b/w. From a distance it will be hard to notice the difference, up close it sits better with a navy suit, imo.

4 people like this.