1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Well-Known Member

Working on my tie collection. To paraphrase the ever-stylish Cleav, one can never have enough green or brown ties. My collection is long on navy, but light on green and brown. Can I solicit a recommendation favorite green (ideally darker/forest) and brown ties available? Thanks,
    WTL

2. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Well-Known Member

Does anyone have this page saved somewhere? I was about halfway through before it could no longer be archived

3. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

You're very kind WTL

@Claghorn amongst others, is also a fan of brown and green ties of which there are many favourites here

I took delivery of this yesterday courtesy of http://www.styleforum.net/t/451445/frui-tie-sf-group-buy-interest-check

[​IMG]

and these are two recent posts...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plenty more on offer out there. I'd consider looking here for inspiration...

http://www.drakes.com/online-shop/ties/view-all?limit=all

http://www.patriziocappelli.it/catalog/index.php?osCsid=7jrmvp80fck48b37islpf8bse7

or a purchase or two depending on your pocket and where you are in the world.

3 people like this.
  4. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

Can you tell us a bit more about your usual attire? Are you dressing conservatively for work or out of preference, going for a more relaxed aesthetic, into country tweeds and checks, some combination of the above?

If you're just getting started, grenadines are the true "tie for all seasons" and Exquisite Trimmings makes a good one. They are also running a 20% discount this weekend with the code BANK20. Everybody needs a brown grenadine, and forest green grenadines, while a bit less versatile, can look great as well.

After grenadines, recommendations will depend on how you plan to use them.

1 person likes this.
  5. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Well-Known Member

Need your input, gentlement. I'm new to 1) shell and 2) loafers. I'm considering purchasing a pair of loafers in dark brown calf. Being new to the idea of loafers I'm not sure I want to pay premium price for a pair of new loafers. The alternative is to purchase a used pair in dark brown shell. What is the (dis)advantage(s) of shell vs calf when it comes to loafers? Is one preferred before the other, and if so, why? Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  6. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

^Start with suede

1 person likes this.
  7. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Thanks for the mention!

8. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Well-Known Member

I have 2 pair of suede shoes already. Or did you mean suede loafers? May I ask why you'd recommend that?

9. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

As the risk of heresy, I would push brown and green one stop further down the list: burgundy is higher. It is the perfect contrast to both navy and grey - the two best and most common suit colours. It also works equally well with black or brown shoes. It expresses dominance and confidence while remaining classy: a thinking man's red, if you will. Get two burgundy neats - a madder and a challis, and a solid burgundy grenadine or shantung for summer. Then do those browns and greens for variety; they are lovely, but burgundy is essential!

10. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Meant suede loafers. I had shell loafers in the past and I really didn't like how the shoe aged. It looked all rumpled and it was difficult to maintain. I don't mind the rumpled look on longwing bluchers but I really hated it on loafers.

11. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

Shell loafers r classic, but even shoe-treed shell develops distinctive beef rolls, so a very casual look.

With any loafer, particularly suede, buy them tight. Once they stretch they fall off your feet.

I suggest u take a look at the 2nd hand shell. If they fit & they haven't developed the rolls, go for them.

12. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

My favorite green ties are combinations with blues or purples. The Blues being a bit more classic while the purples tend to be a tad more expressive.

13. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

I agree that burgundy should be considered here. Quite a few posters have a strong love of brown ties, and while I'm starting to appreciate the rationale for it, I find myself reaching for burgundy much more often with my suits and even with a blue odd jacket.

14. SnowSwat

SnowSwat Member

X post from the tailors' thread.

The jacket is slightly short, needs a bit more waist suppression, and the armholes and sleeves need to be addressed given the dimpling and bunching on the left side. Is this a fair assessment? I am open to any general or specific suggestions!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. LeBeef

LeBeef Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. Picked up my first Cappelli tie that I've been eyeing for a little bit.

1 person likes this.
  16. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

Not sure i mentioned it here or on waywrn, but remember that pinstripe navy suit i posted a pic of when i was interviewing for medical school in Philadelphia?

Well, i got in.

13 people like this.
  17. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

Congrats, @ridethecliche!

1 person likes this.
  18. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

Nice work, RTC. Best wishes on the next stage in your career.

1 person likes this.
  19. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

well done @ridethecliche :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  20. The Noodles

The Noodles Well-Known Member