1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

SJ, a man that knows :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  2. EFV

EFV Well-Known Member

That's pretty much like saying "Italian pasta sucks" or "French wines are horrible".

4 people like this.
  3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Well you know, if you're ever in my neck of the woods I'll take you on the ultimate Bourbon tour. So long as you don't mind staying in a city named after a French monarch.
    [​IMG]

4. Caustic Man

Sorry brother, Teutonic beers are far superior in my humble, and not at all enlightened, opinion.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Very well said ol friend!

6. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Touche, mon brav :nodding: I will be delighted to join you :)

7. Caustic Man

Any time! Unless I move to Chicago later this year (which seems likely) in which case I'll give you the ultimate windy city tour. heh [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. thejoker

thejoker Well-Known Member

British beer is such a broad term with such a wide variety of great beers brewed north of Watford and an occasional good one in the south [​IMG]

9. 997CTSurg

997CTSurg Well-Known Member

WTF

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio.

10. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

Isn't that Arfur Daley's lock-up in the photo?

Or it might be the gang hide-out from "A Fish Called Wanda".

This. Living in London in the early 90s, I discovered that most pubs were serving crap beer from the large brewery conglomerates. Cold "lagers" were very popular. The more seasoned drinkers, and most folk north of Watford, knew to head for independent pubs serving so-called "real ales" and/or locally brewed bitters.

I also learned that the best British beers are generally served at room temperature. They are brewed to be served this way. Once you get used to it, these beers are often superb, with great individuality. It's only now that drinkers in New World countries like Australia, Canada and the USA are rediscovering the delights of high-quality ales via the "craft beer" movement. Britain and Germany never forgot their tradition.

11. Caustic Man

What do you think of Victoria Bitters, Cox?

12. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

13. Caustic Man

That's a movement I think we can all get behind.

14. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

It's basically rubbish. Brewed in enormous quantities by Carlton & United Breweries (now owned by South African giant SAB Miller, which forms one half of the current Aussie brewing duopoly along with Lion Nathan/Kirin, another multinational). I refuse to drink any of that lethal crap. CUB's biggest brands are Vic Bitter and Foster's Lager, which to me taste identically bad.

The other big names in Australian beer - Reschs, Tooheys, 4X and so on - are all toxic too. For twenty years or so, anyone with functioning taste buds had to make do with what passed for "craft" beer in the form of medium-sized independent regional brewers such as Coopers (Adelaide) or Cascade (Tasmania). Then suddenly in the last five years we've had the same explosion in micro-breweries as has occurred in the States. There are now literally hundreds of labels to choose from, although the "big two" (CUB and Lion Nathan) still exert quite the stranglehold on pub taps.

They've also been quietly and strategically acquiring craft breweries. It can be difficult these days to know who really made the drink you're buying - the best rule of thumb is that if it looks cottagey, is prominently displayed in the bottle-shop fridge, and tastes like shite, it's probably from CUB or LN. Case in point: James Squire. Funkily packaged bilge-water.

In the past couple of years I've acquired a fancy for IPA style beers. Plenty to choose from in Oz - Brookes (Bendigo) make a good one, but there are many. The savvier retailers are also selling plenty of American imports. I've been buying Founders Centennial (Michigan), Bridgeport (Portland) and Ballast Point Big Eye (San Diego), and I'm always open to recommendations.

1 person likes this.
  15. Caustic Man

Interesting. VB and Towhees are the only Australian beers I have ever had. Never tried Fosters, too obvious. IPAs are big in Southern California where I am from. The most famous local brewery in my home town of San Diego makes several varieties of IPA. To be honest I was never much of a fan. I don't know what kind of beer Negra Modelo is, but it's probably my favorite. Follow it with Spaghetti Western, in Italian coffee beer, and Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale.

16. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I'm at crate brewery right now drinking a delicious stout after that room temperature swill last night.

1 person likes this.
  17. ridethecliche

Also bars close so early here!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  18. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

You have to know where to go!

1 person likes this.
  19. ridethecliche

Tell me where to go! Slash you should have come and hung out!

20. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

When I was in Blighty in '97, it seemed like every pub was pulling a local ale, and they were all delicious. And the pulling is so much better than US-style pressurized kegs. In '08, I visited only one pub, and it had been transformed into a family-friendly establishment with little character. But it was still quite pleasant!