1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Deals on Lenses for Glasses in NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by patrickBOOTH, Mar 5, 2013.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

But the thing is, what is the difference between your establishment and lenscrafters?

I even tried to go to a non-descript place, and they were worse. Were going to charge me $35 for not buying the frames in the store. I walked out.

2. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

BTW, from lee's link, these are the lenses Warby Parker claims to use:

Polycarbonate: A revolutionary material that delivers a lightweight, impact and scratch-resistant, thin lens for superior comfort with UV protection. Thinner than regular plastic lenses and great for active people - especially kids. Recommended prescription range for Polycarbonate Lenses

3. edmorel

I am sure there is a difference as there is a difference between the cheaper and more expensive lenses on that site ( I see some "Carl Zeiss" lenses there). I'm not arguing that lenscrafters is going to be equivalent to the $300 Carl Zeiss transition lenses, I'm saying that I have not been able to tell the difference between the Warby Parker lenses, the lenscrafters or whatever they use at H.L Purdy which were the most expensive glasses that I've bought to date. If the lens is very important to you then I can see looking into these high end options, I've just never felt the need to.

4. patrickBOOTH

I am curious about the claims of the scratch resistant coatings.

5. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

my wife got frames and lenses for about $100 from Classic Specs. Who knows, they might be able to fit new leses on yours for not much $$.

6. patrickBOOTH

Hmm, classic specs. Sounds like a plan.

7. Owen Meany

Owen Meany Well-Known Member

I too am seriously suspect of the eyeglasses business model. Every year I get (3) new/updated scripts and glasses (a walking around pair, a "computer screen" pair and sunglasses) and every year my optician send them out to some mystery spot in the mid-west where it takes about (2) weeks to get back.....at a cost of $400 each for the lenses...if Lenscrafters can turn them around in about an hour - why (2) weeks? Why 400 clams?

I like getting new glass to change up my look and for the first time, I have (3) pairs that I can choose from on any given day....I just don't get why they the lenses are so expensive and take so long to turn around....

The glass frames are expensive because of one word: Luxoctica ---

I have not tried Warby Parker yet, but I might..

8. patrickBOOTH

I honestly think that if you have insurance they jack up the price to get you to pay more. Plus, the process for requesting insurance is very bizarre compared to regular health insurance. They like, open up a binder, or a call some telephone number. The whole process sucks.

9. edmorel

Funny you mention that because the Warby Parkers got shipped from the midwest. Vision insurance is silly. First time I went, I picked out the frames, they gave me an eye exam so I think I can wait/pick up the glasses right there. But yeah, they go through some binder, type in a ton of crap on the computer and then it's like "they'll be ready in 7-10 days". :confused:

10. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Well-Known Member

Will give you an answer you are actually looking for.

I go to Manhattan Optical in China town.

While not the best location they are friendly, the prices are great the lenses are par with those I have bought anywhere else (including Oakley's). They prepare my lenses quickly and don't try to oversell you.

I recomend the Cruzal coating. It makes them much easier to clean, clearer and have never scratched my current pair. There are many different levels and I choose to go for the second highest (elissee or something of the sort) as I lead a very active lifestyle and drop my glasses often. You may find the lowest end coating to be sufficient. MH told me not to go for the highest level "sapphire" as it provides nothing more then a slightly blue reflection of incoming light rather then green.

All in all transitions + cuzal + poly carb lenses came to under $300. They also offer a good warranty and have repaired a previous pair beyond warranty at not charge for me.

11. patrickBOOTH

Good recommendation. It is funny somebody in my office said they go to Chinatown for glasses too. I didn't remember until just now. I am currently wearing transitionals, coatings and all of that stuff and they were over $500. They aren't progressives or anything.

12. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

I wish someone could provide a good brick and mortar suggestion. The importance of purchasing properly fitting lenses from a B&M vs online depends on accurately measuring pupillary distance. I don't really trust the mail order places. The price of lenses is highly dependent on your prescription and type of lenses.

Im myopic as hell with a slight astigmatism, so I usually buy 1.74 lenses. They are as cheap as $350ish online, and around $500-600 in store. Id rather have the guarantee of a brick and mortar for something I use on a daily basis. My scratch coat lasted 4 years on my previous pair but only 2.5 years on my latest pair.

13. patrickBOOTH

I might make this Chinatown trip.

14. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Well-Known Member

I'd recommend Manhattan Optical in China town for you too. You can look them up on yelp. I also have an astigmatism.

I'm pretty sure you also do pay more with insurance.