1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good Clothes at Full Price

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shoes22, Aug 16, 2006.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

It's easier for me to flip the question. Almost everything I buy is bespoke or MTM. I do shirts and jackets bespoke and my pants are almost all MTM. So ya, I pay full price for a lot of stuff.

The only things I really buy on sale (mostly from lance) are cashmere sweaters, borrelli jackets, and casual stuff like polos.

2. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

(1) Anything MTM or bespoke. Right now, this means shirts, as well as some suits and odd jackets. I'm so slim and my arms are so long that I rarely find my size. I don't even think anyone makes 14.5" neck-36" sleeve RTW shirts.

(2) Anything I love so much that I must have it, e.g. Mulberrywood or Carlo Franco ties.

Like others, I enjoy shopping and finding great bargains. The chase is part of the fun.

3. horton

horton Well-Known Member

Usually once or twice a year I go to Louis and pay full price for various things. I always feel like I'm being educated there and don't regret it. On the flip side -- and this is difficult to explain -- I now hate the idea of buying at Bloomingdales or the like (haven't really experienced Barneys here in Boston yet)

I also pay full price (out of necessity) for various things that I feel will never show up on sale -- these are usually the tried and true basic classic pieces.

4. gamelan

gamelan Well-Known Member

i don't think i've ever done it before but i'm psyching myself to purchase probably 2 Engineered Garments jackets from the upcoming Fall season at retail from Gary at Drinkwater's.

wish me luck.

-Jeff

5. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Well-Known Member

This year, so far, I've paid full retail for exactly one RTW item: a pair of Byford socks at Norton Ditto. Bespoke is another matter: I've purchased a suit, a blazer and five shirts from Chan, all at "full" price.

6. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time I paid full retail for anything.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I also pay full price (out of necessity) for various things that I feel will never show up on sale -- these are usually the tried and true basic classic pieces.

Those are my white whale. Recently found a great deal on a Corneliani charcoal solid after a long hunt.

8. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Who's Lance?

9. horton

horton Well-Known Member

lance == virtualclotheshorse.com

he's discostu on this forum

Extremely reasonable person with great prices

10. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

11. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. I know those guys! [​IMG]

My personal philosophy on buying:

1. Invest in a good wardrobe for starters.
    2. Once done then look selectively for specialty pieces or upgrades.
    3. Only buy full retail for classically styled pieces of good quality (ie. more handwork). For me this means bespoke shoes & suits (sometimes MTM).
    4. Buy opportunistically in sales...do the usual ebay vendor combing.
    5. Splurge every once & a while (it's therapeutic!) when at a great store like Louis, Wilkes, Bergdorf, etc.
    6. Time business trips to coincide with trunk shows and sales.
    7. Buy gift cards for wife so she will be "understanding" with expensive hobbies. [​IMG]

12. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

The lull between sales allows for reviewing what I haven't been wearing and what needs to be worn after a while in the back of the closet. Afterall, it's only like waiting for xmas and 4th of July.