1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Good books on working-out principles

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Etienne, Sep 13, 2006.

1. kever

kever Well-Known Member

Wanted to revitalize this thread to just note how good Book of Muscle is. I'm now on the intermediate workout and the results are coming really fast. Highly recommended.

I just finished the advanced program, and I have had great results too. My deadlift went from 275 lbs to 415lbs with this workout. I'm glad it's working for you fatherseanfan. Its really effective if you stick it out.
    cheers

2. floete

floete Well-Known Member

take it or leave it but imho the best book ever written on this subject is the Testosterone Advantage Plan, affectionately refered to by fans as TAP. The New Rules book is good but a little confusing. Also, I love Pavel but his stuff is largely a mish-mash of various tidbits that could be distilled down to 3 pages max; best bet for him is just to hang out at his website. Also, forget Skinny to Brawny -- a confused mess, as even the author sometimes seems to agree (on the forum noted below). TAP rules.

now, for the best website related to this stuff, it is far and away JP's, at http://forums.jpfitness.com. You can go to t-nation and get yourself lost in all the cool graphics and whatnot; or you can go to jp and hang out at a regulartype forum with the guys who write the stuff that appears on t-nation. i kid you not. it's not flash but it is the best. check it out!

3. nastyandy

nastyandy Well-Known Member

One of the absolute best resources I used to learn and create my workout routines (and I still refer to it often,) was Strength Training Anatomy by Francis Delavier.

Not only does this book expound on technique and specific types of training for each body part, it shows in detail exactly which muscles are being used with every kid of movement. It's kind of like having a menu of different exercises to choose from for each body part.

I very highly recommend it; it's ideal for the beginner and a great reference for the advanced body builder.

4. lefty

lefty Well-Known Member

Interesting...

Book of Muscle/Testosterone Advantage Plan/New Rules of Lifting are all co-authored by Lou Schuler. His site is here: http://louschuler.com/

They're all good books and can be had on Amazon for about $50 total.

jpfitness is a good site for a newbie. t-nation is mostly filled with sycophants and for the few good articles available you have to wade through whatever nutty article Waterbury has written this month.

For fat loss try McDonald's books and forum: lylemcdonald.com. Be warned that it is a freewheeling hard-ass board that does not suffer fools period. The advice is bang on though.

lefty

5. Britalian

Britalian Well-Known Member

Twelve Weeks to a Better Body for Women by Ronald S. Laura and Kenneth R. Dutton
    Used this a few yrs ago and stuck to it and it worked. Since then I've resorted to atrophy.

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

one of my favorite all-around books is "getting stronger" by bill pearl. before there was arnold, there was bill pearl. he really knows his stuff. his book has A LOT of info on nutrition and has very detailed descriptions and illustrations. in fact, i like this book a little more than arnold's encyclopedia. btw, he is a VEGETARIAN, and has won a mr. universe on a completely ovo-lacto vegetarian diet--and this was back in the day. a real pioneer.

that was the book I was going to recomend. a bible.

7. william

william Well-Known Member

I'm still not exactly sure what you're looking for, but I found the book Brawn by Stuart McRobert insightful when I began working out heavily in college.

http://www.amazon.com/Brawn-Stuart-M.../dp/9963616089

He initially discusses the 3 main body types and pretty much advocates a 5x5 training program focusing on squats, deadlifts, and bench pressing with the main focus being on the "hardgainer." There are sections of motivational writing and a discussion of nutrition towards the end. I believe the underlying theme is the proper way to train to maximize results.

If you are looking more for a scientific based explanation of diet and exercise, you can find excellent articles at bodybuilding forums such as T-nation.com and steroidology.com. I don't have a book recommendation off the top of my head.

Bingo. Brawn by McRobert is all you need. I put thirty pounds on doing this type of basic routine. No supplements either....just food. Another good thing to do is to take up a high-intensity sport like tennis or soccer and play it 2-3 times a week. Pair that with a two to three day compound exercise training regimen and you're good to go.

The one thing I would recommend is ordering/buying your protein from a CLEAN supplier. I use these:

http://www.vitalchoice.com/index.cfm

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/

http://www.northstarbison.com/

8. dan87

dan87 Active Member

I only have this one book but I find it to be really useful. It has informative diagrams showing what muscles you are using when working out.

[​IMG]

9. knucks

knucks Well-Known Member

Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding.
    Buy this book.

10. Etienne

Etienne Well-Known Member

Does anybody know Science And Practice of Strength Training by Vladimir Zatsiorsky ? Is it any good ?

11. sbbbjm

sbbbjm Well-Known Member

Scrawny to Brawny -- no joke it has everything, workout, nutrition, anatomy.

i also reccomend The Book of Muscle

12. Etienne

Etienne Well-Known Member

In the end, I just ordered The Book of Muscle, Strength Training Anatomy and Scrawny to Brawny. I'll let you know what I think, I hope this is a good selection. Thank you for all the advice, guys!