1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Going to Vegas next week; Can I wear these dress shoes with dark denim??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thefastlife, Apr 11, 2011.

1. tombrokaw

tombrokaw Well-Known Member

Ah vegas, something I'm an expert on.

Are you wearing these to a club? Business conference?

Ok i see you are going to a club.

Which club? It makes a difference.

2. tobiasj

tobiasj Well-Known Member

People who teach picking up women for a living say merely this: dress congruently (well, unless you're peacocking).

IMO that whole "shoes are the second thing a woman looks at" is right up there with "just be yourself" and "what women want above all is a guy with a sense of humor."

3. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

Ah vegas, something I'm an expert on.

Are you wearing these to a club? Business conference?

Ok i see you are going to a club.

Which club? It makes a difference.

surrender, tryst, tao or ghostbar

4. tombrokaw

surrender, tryst, tao or ghostbar
    Ignore what these guys say. Black leather shoes and dark jeans are practically a uniform in Vegas. You will not be hassled wearing this. Clark's or any light suede might give you problems, but probably not. No athletic shoes for sure if you want to be safe. Tao and Surrender are very picky about the dress code, I know one of the surrender doormen personally and he takes some kind of sick joy in picking out guys for dress code violations. Tryst is strict but less so, and ghostbar is whatever. All of this goes out the window if you are getting bottle service. You can wear chucks if you please. And the honest truth is that the dress level of the entire outfit is more important than any one piece. I wear vans all the time with collared shirt and blazer, tie, whatever. Just look more stylish than the average guy and you can pull it off. But if you aren't comfortable taking risks then black leather shoes, dark jeans and untucked collared shirt will have you totally fitting in.

5. thefastlife

Ignore what these guys say. Black leather shoes and dark jeans are practically a uniform in Vegas. You will not be hassled wearing this.

Clark's or any light suede might give you problems, but probably not. No athletic shoes for sure if you want to be safe.

Tao and Surrender are very picky about the dress code, I know one of the surrender doormen personally and he takes some kind of sick joy in picking out guys for dress code violations.

Tryst is strict but less so, and ghostbar is whatever.

All of this goes out the window if you are getting bottle service. You can wear chucks if you please. And the honest truth is that the dress level of the entire outfit is more important than any one piece. I wear vans all the time with collared shirt and blazer, tie, whatever. Just look more stylish than the average guy and you can pull it off.

But if you aren't comfortable taking risks then black leather shoes, dark jeans and untucked collared shirt will have you totally fitting in.

awesome post. now i need to find a <$150 pair of OK looking loafers

6. tombrokaw

Honestly my advice is to choose the best looking black oxford you can find for 50 bucks and buy it.

You don't want to be wearing anything too expensive. Here's what will happen:

the dance floor will be packed. Five girls will step on your feet with heels, then a 200 lb man. Then your buddy will spill a drink on them, and IF you are lucky you'll avoid someone vomiting on them (yourself probably) at the end of the night.

So buy them and expect maybe 2, 3 vegas trips out of them tops.

7. JKMWCL

JKMWCL Well-Known Member

^^^ +100

Best bet is to get yourself over to some place like Aldo and pick up some decent looking shoes that you aren't going to obsess over. With the dark jeans, you should look at something like these:

http://www.jshoesonline.co.uk/images...2-04538500.jpg

I'll be out there at the end of this month - damn, I love Vegas.

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

damn, I love Vegas.

^^^ +100

9. tombrokaw

^^^ +100
    I was there 6 times last year. Greatest, drunkest place on earth.

10. stylesbitchly

stylesbitchly Well-Known Member

I was just there. I wouldn't worry about it. Most men are dressed like mooks. I've never seen so many Affliction T-Shirts in all my life.

11. Mountains

Mountains Well-Known Member

Why do I get the feeling that some people in here would recommend going clubbing in Edward Greens? [​IMG]

12. thefastlife

replies steadily got better/more helpful. thanks a lot fellas.

going to the cole haan and johnston and murphy outlets tomorrow

13. Flartchy

Flartchy Well-Known Member

I don't think any type of dress shoes should be worn with blue jeans. Casual shoes only, of any color, leather if you must. If you have a black blazer, black belt, black watch band, you're going to be wearing black shoes. Jeans and dress shoes just look weird together, IMHO. Like a short sleeve dress shirt--weird amalgam of dressy and casual that should be avoided. But to say that ANY type of black shoe never goes with jeans is bizarre. 99.999% of everyone who's ever worn jeans has worn them with black shoes at some point.