1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Going to Savannah

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by PeterMetro, May 22, 2005.

1. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Well-Known Member

Hi guys -

I'm headed to Savannah, GA and Hilton Head Island, SC in a couple weeks. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on where to go and what to see. Specifcally, I am looking for som real southern BBQ. Not necessarily the most famous BBQ place in Savannah, but I'd rather greasy, picnic table, paper plate, roadside type of place.

Anyone know one?

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Well-Known Member

there is only barbeque in north carolina. none in georgia, nor south carolina.

go to concord, salisbury, spencer, any of those three towns (all near charlotte), and ask the guys in the gas station where to get barbeque.

also, keep in mind that western north carolina barbeque is superior to the stuff they serve in eastern NC. totally different style.

3. faustian bargain

ps - the beverage of choice to drink with your BBQ is either iced tea (served sweet by default) or cheerwine.

for dessert, if you're on the go, pick up a moon pie and eat it in the car.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Completely incorrect statement. Â There is some very good barbeque in South Carolina -- I lived there for two years. Hilton Head is basically a golf and tennis (primarily golf) resort. Â Nothing really much to see there. Savannah is the city where the true story that was the basis of the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" took place. Â Go rent the movie -- it might give you some ideas. Here's a blog that describes some barbecue places around Savannah.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

6. PeterMetro

Thanks - this is interesting. It seems the consensus is that Savannah is great for Southern food, but not BBQ. Who knew?

7. faustian bargain

(faustian bargain @ May 23 2005,02:05) there is only barbeque in north carolina. none in georgia, nor south carolina.
    Completely incorrect statement. There is some very good barbeque in South Carolina -- I lived there for two years. Hilton Head is basically a golf and tennis (primarily golf) resort. Nothing really much to see there. Savannah is the city where the true story that was the basis of the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" took place. Go rent the movie -- it might give you some ideas. Here's a blog that describes some barbecue places around Savannah.
    i lived in south carolina for 8 years. we went to north carolina to get barbeque.

8. faustian bargain

cheerwine is a cherry-flavored cola. it is DEE-lishus.

9. globetrotter

(globetrotter @ May 23 2005,07:08) cheerwine?
    sorry, I am curious - how does it differ (both in terms of taste and in terms of cultural iconography) with Dr. pepper and/or Mr. Pibb (aren't they more or less cherry flavored cola beverages?

10. petescolari

petescolari Well-Known Member

If you will be playing golf on HHI, I would suggest playingDaufuskie on the Melrose Course. You have to take a ferry to the island, but the course is the best I have played down there. Great last three or four holes as well. Harbor Town is a ripoff.

11. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by faustian bargain,May 23 2005,13:58
    cheerwine?

sorry, I am curious - how does it differ (both in terms of taste and in terms of cultural iconography) with Dr. pepper and/or Mr. Pibb (aren't they more or less cherry flavored cola beverages?
    My local greasy spoon when I lived in South Carolina (which fried foods using lard, not the wussy vegetable oil used by Mickey D's) made its cherry colas by adding several pumps of cherry syrup to a cola. Â Much better than the commercial cherry colas.

12. scnupe7

scnupe7 Well-Known Member

The local burger joint in my hometown made cherry cokes the same way. I miss those cherry cokes.

13. globetrotter

14. faustian bargain

i assume that soda-fountain cherry cokes (made with cherry syrup and coke) pre-date cheerwine.

back when the soda fountains did it, they also made vanilla cokes, which were popular according to my dad.

dr. pepper and mr. pibb taste different from cheerwine - less fruity, if my taste memory serves. also, cheerwine has some red color added. but i don't recall it being cloyingly sweet and fruity.

as far as i know, cheerwine is only available in the southeast US. i could be mistaken. i know we don't have it out here in california.

/andrew

15. PeterMetro

Here's a map that shows Cheerwine's geographical penetration in the United States. And no, I'm not joking. [​IMG]

16. globetrotter

regional soft drinks, both domestic and international, are cool to try, but I think that most soft drinks only taste good after you are used to them (coke and pepsi included) and if you only get a chance to try a soft drink once or twice it will always be a novelty. that's been my experience, anyway. but next time I am in the carolinas, I;ll have to try cheerwine.

17. faustian bargain

just to further derail the thread, i'm in the middle of the book 'Blink' by Malcolm Gladwell, which contains the interesting story of the 'Pepsi Challenge' taste test. Apparently Pepsi won the challenge because it's sweeter and more 'round'.
    but the rest of the story is, because the test was designed as a 'sip test' and not a full 'use test' where you sit at home and drink a whole can (or case), coke actually compares favorably because over time it is not as cloying.
    additionally, when doing a 'triangle' blind taste test, it is nearly impossible to tell a difference between coke and pepsi.

i just thought that was interesting.

/andrew