1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Going to a wedding: Need help picking outfit!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MarineHillsTuff, Aug 4, 2011.

1. MarineHillsTuff

MarineHillsTuff Active Member

So I'm going to a wedding in three weeks and I have this suit:

I am trying to figure out which shirt/tie/pocket square I want to wear with this suit.

Here is what I am thinking:

Shirt:

Tie:

Planning to wear those with a tieclip & pocket square.

Would like suggestions on the shirt/tie.. And need advice on where to wear the tieclip on the tie & what color pocket square should I wear?

MUCH appreciated guys. Thank you in advance! :foo:

2. stinsonbass

stinsonbass Well-Known Member

A charcoal pinstripe suit and a checkered black & white shirt? I love the second tie but it would suggest a plain shirt (IMHO) I can't really imagine one of the ties to look good with that suit.

3. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  4. MarineHillsTuff

[

It's actually a navy/white gingham shirt. I figured the navy in the shirt + tie would match sufficiently. No?

quote name="CousinDonuts" url="/forum/thread/259737/going-to-a-wedding-need-help-picking-outfit#post_4735001"].[/quote]

....?

5. Sentinel

Sentinel Active Member

It seems there's far too much pattern going on with what you've posted. You can mix three or four different patterns, but it's incredibly hard to pull off.

Pinstriped suits almost always look best with a solid shirt. About the only kind of check that I like with them is a big windowpane in a soft color, which isn't too far from a solid anyway. With a solid shirt, the tie options open up quite a bit - either tie you posted would work well enough with a white shirt.

6. MarineHillsTuff

Really? Too much pattern with just the gingham? I'm actually a little surprised.. I figured this was kind of the trend now. I really like the shirt..

7. promark809

promark809 Active Member

You're right, the gingham is in style right now, but I think that would look best with a solid suit, not pinstripe. So you gotta pick either or. Pinstripe suit with solid color shirt or solid suit with gingham shirt.

8. MarineHillsTuff

I really only own pinstripe suits... Blah.

9. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Pinstripes are fine - you are just going to be wise to adjust your thinking a little bit with the rest.

Go for a solid white, solid light blue, or a white shirt with a very faintly patterned pale blue houndstooth or check (VERY FAINT).

A solid navy or rep striped navy silk tie.
    (Preferably not either of the ties you showed in your original post, the knit tie is too informal and the plaid tie is too informal AND will clash with the pinstripes. Although I do like that plaid tie and would snag it for other occasions. :D ) How wide are the lapels on that suit? They look about 2-1/2" wide to me so those super skinny 2" ties you are looking at will be a little weak with them - try to find something just a smidge wider - more in keeping with the lapel width.

The pocket square can then have some flair/color/pattern if you like, or can be plain white.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear - sorry. But I hope it helps.

By the way - what color shoes? You know black is the 'proper' color after dark right? This rule only applies to very formal weddings - so you can get away with dark brown or burgundy if you want.

10. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

Why do people come here and ask questions that they have already made a decision about? :confused:

If you think it looks ok, go for it. You may not be SF approved though. (or normal people approved, who knows)

Post a pic of said outfit for a definitive answer.

11. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Dont wear a plaid or gingham shirt with pinstripes....PLEASE. Wear a solid blue or white shirt. A silk knit solid colored tie rarely looks good with a pin stripe suit. The tie is more casual and the pinstripes are much more business-like.

Wear the suit
    a white linen pocket square
    a white or blue solid shirt
    a tie with a simple pattern but in an elegant color like purple or an interesting shade of blue with bits of white.

The effect should be similar to this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

14. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I presume by "neck" you mean "shirt collar."

I would add my +1 to the advice to shun a gingham check with a pinstripe suit.

15. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

listen to that^^^^

16. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Well-Known Member

woops, yeah...def meant shirt collar

17. MarineHillsTuff

Alright. You guys have successfully convinced me against the Gingham Shirt.

So I currently have white, salmon (light pink), and blue shirts. Perhaps I could pick up a new tie for the occassion. I wanted to give you an idea of one of my ideas:

[​IMG]

This is the exact suit I plan to wear with my light pink shirt and blue tie (put on quickly and thus poorly). Can you guys suggest some tie options? Perhaps even a shirt option or two?

Thank you much for the feedback. Glad I asked the gingham question!