• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to a wedding: Need help picking outfit!

MarineHillsTuff

Reaction score
So I'm going to a wedding in three weeks and I have this suit:

http://www.bluefly.com/Armani-Colle...lat-front-pants/cat60004/307762501/detail.fly

I am trying to figure out which shirt/tie/pocket square I want to wear with this suit.

Here is what I am thinking:

Shirt: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shirts/dressshirts/PRDOVR~35748/35748.jsp

Tie: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/tiesandpocketsquares/knitties/PRDOVR~75980/75980.jsp

Planning to wear those with a tieclip & pocket square.

Would like suggestions on the shirt/tie.. And need advice on where to wear the tieclip on the tie & what color pocket square should I wear?

MUCH appreciated guys. Thank you in advance! :foo:

stinsonbass

Reaction score
A charcoal pinstripe suit and a checkered black & white shirt? I love the second tie but it would suggest a plain shirt (IMHO) I can't really imagine one of the ties to look good with that suit.

MarineHillsTuff

Reaction score

A charcoal pinstripe suit and a checkered black & white shirt? I love the second tie but it would suggest a plain shirt (IMHO) I can't really imagine one of the ties to look good with that suit.
[

It's actually a navy/white gingham shirt. I figured the navy in the shirt + tie would match sufficiently. No?

quote name="CousinDonuts" url="/forum/thread/259737/going-to-a-wedding-need-help-picking-outfit#post_4735001"].[/quote]

....?

Sentinel

Reaction score
It seems there's far too much pattern going on with what you've posted. You can mix three or four different patterns, but it's incredibly hard to pull off.

Pinstriped suits almost always look best with a solid shirt. About the only kind of check that I like with them is a big windowpane in a soft color, which isn't too far from a solid anyway. With a solid shirt, the tie options open up quite a bit - either tie you posted would work well enough with a white shirt.

MarineHillsTuff

Reaction score
Really? Too much pattern with just the gingham? I'm actually a little surprised.. I figured this was kind of the trend now. I really like the shirt..

promark809

Reaction score
You're right, the gingham is in style right now, but I think that would look best with a solid suit, not pinstripe. So you gotta pick either or. Pinstripe suit with solid color shirt or solid suit with gingham shirt.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pinstripes are fine - you are just going to be wise to adjust your thinking a little bit with the rest.

Go for a solid white, solid light blue, or a white shirt with a very faintly patterned pale blue houndstooth or check (VERY FAINT).

A solid navy or rep striped navy silk tie.
(Preferably not either of the ties you showed in your original post, the knit tie is too informal and the plaid tie is too informal AND will clash with the pinstripes. Although I do like that plaid tie and would snag it for other occasions. :D ) How wide are the lapels on that suit? They look about 2-1/2" wide to me so those super skinny 2" ties you are looking at will be a little weak with them - try to find something just a smidge wider - more in keeping with the lapel width.

The pocket square can then have some flair/color/pattern if you like, or can be plain white.

I know it's not what you wanted to hear - sorry. But I hope it helps.

By the way - what color shoes? You know black is the 'proper' color after dark right? This rule only applies to very formal weddings - so you can get away with dark brown or burgundy if you want.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do people come here and ask questions that they have already made a decision about? :confused:

If you think it looks ok, go for it. You may not be SF approved though. (or normal people approved, who knows)

Post a pic of said outfit for a definitive answer.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont wear a plaid or gingham shirt with pinstripes....PLEASE. Wear a solid blue or white shirt. A silk knit solid colored tie rarely looks good with a pin stripe suit. The tie is more casual and the pinstripes are much more business-like.

Wear the suit
a white linen pocket square
a white or blue solid shirt
a tie with a simple pattern but in an elegant color like purple or an interesting shade of blue with bits of white.

The effect should be similar to this

tumblr_lod8mzl3kT1qad1efo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lijxqiOhRZ1qhnv0vo1_500.jpg

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads