1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Going for Classic Black Tie - Is this an acceptable waistcoat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Brianpore, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Using the Black Tie Guide as my guide http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Classic_Waist.htm

Trying to go as Classic as possible, but having a very hard time finding a waistcoat that I am happy with.

I am wondering more if each is acceptable, NOT which one is better, but would either/both work?

Thanks in advance

Option 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Option 2

[​IMG]

2. add911_11

add911_11 Well-Known Member

I guess the first one will be more acceptable than the second, the button on the second ones looks weird, is it some sort of removable waistcoat buttons?

3. msulinski

msulinski Well-Known Member

It looks like they are studs. Some nice vests require studs, and this is certainly an acceptable variation.

OP, it is hard to tell what the material is for option 2. Also, what are your dinner jacket lapel facings like, satin/smooth or grosgrain?

4. landshark

landshark Well-Known Member

I like the first one. It's obvious that it's a different texture and wouldn't look bad with a tuxedo made with a different material.

5. Brianpore

Thanks all!! Still working on the tux, but dont want the "new" 3 piece suit type vest so figured to get something seperate. It's acceptable to have a different material for the vest then it is for the jacket I take so the 1st one would be OK? And yes, the 2nd one are stud like buttons. It is vintage from the 40's I think.

Thanks again for all the help - Brian

6. Brianpore

So its OK to have a tux waistcoat material NOT match the lapel material?? Thanks!

7. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

Both are in principle correct, although I'm not a fan of the weave in the first one.