1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Going bespoke

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Jan 17, 2005.

1. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Well-Known Member

That sounds like a great pair of pants for a "stylish business" suit. Just different enough to show some personal flair without standing out unduly in a business setting. I've been thinking of getting single forward pleats on my next suit. Oh, and contrary to johnapril's comment, I believe an 18" cuff with a full break is perfect for carrying an ankle holster, since the added length will maximize the concealment if the trousers ride up for any reason. Though you'll want to go with cuffs--the extra weight at the bottom of the trouser will help the pants to drape better and avoid "printing" the holster. [​IMG]

2. A Harris

A Harris Well-Known Member

Had one of his jackets here once, courtesy of a forum member in fact. They are nicely made, not quite Savile Row IMO, but still very nice...

3. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

For the relatively few bespoke togs I've had done, I've gone very conservative with details. (e.g. I've done a very traditional Saville Row cut -- sort of a Sholte in a very heavy flannel and another I had made based on the suit that Grant wore in North by Northwest).

So, doing something discreet might be something to consider, as you're going to have it forever, presumably.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

I think you may be better off with a flat front, even if it's only an inch below your navel. I think even a single pleat may look--for lack of a better term--puffy. But what do I know...

Be sure to keep us up to date on the project. This is a fascinating post.

5. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

johnnynorman3: the pants you describe sound fine, perfect for the look you are going for.  I think a 17.5" cuff (or bottom, if uncuffed) will be fine.

I would advise you, when you go in to get measured, to wear the Belvest pants you like, tell the tailor what you like about them, and have him measure you in them.  Not that you necessarily want them copied, but it will help him get the idea of the rise and crutch measurements that you want.

6. BlvdDandy

BlvdDandy Well-Known Member

Any idea when you expect your suit to be finished?

7. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not going to pick a fabric and get measured until probably first week of February. I'm sort of mulling over a couple of fabric options, and Joe wants to wait to measure me until he gets back from the vacation he takes the last week of January. He says better to let me stew over details for the next couple of weeks. I think it will be a two-month process after that probably -- he's had a lot of orders put in lately he said (and showed me the fabric to prove it.).