1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Going bald in college

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Pink22m, Feb 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

Kai: you may not be aware of this but, your head is part of your body. lf your hair is falling out it is a sign that all is not well in the body.

l don't understand your reasoning at all. ;>

2. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

If you guys are losing your hair, I'd recommend shaving it completly or getting it cropped like LAguy said. It will look better 100% of the time.

I mean... hello... horseshoe hair is NOT a style. Shaved/bald IS a style. Holding onto the last 3 hairs on your head is just sad.

Look at Kai's pics in the "members pics" section. Here's a guy who has a rather conservative job, but still shaves his head, and looks very stylish and put together.

3. marc37

marc37 Well-Known Member

No Mike C: l don't recommend ignoring the [health] problem by shaving youir head. How about dealing with the problem instead: take organic colloidal tin, B vitamins and raw chlorophyl juices.

Be aware: tin deficiency baldness leads to tin deficiency deafness. (Do you know how many [tin deficient] old bald people go deaf)??

Why do we live in such an ignorant society that wants a bandaid sollution for everything (shaved heads, dyed hair etc). You should appreciate that your body gives you signs when you are starting to develop disease.

4. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Well-Known Member

Sounds like I am the worst of this lot... Started receding when I was 16, 17... 27 now and have lost a LOT on top... side and back is still full- classic balding, IOW. I've been cropping it close for many many years now, doing it at home once a week. It makes a HUGE difference for me- both looks and self-conscious feelings. I really don't care about it too much anymore... I'm a pretty good looking, in shape guy and my g/f and most girls I meet don't seem to mind [​IMG]

5. Charles Rogers

Charles Rogers Well-Known Member

I am 19, and this year, my hair has been falling out like crazy. I am thinking about trying propecia, and maybe looking into tin suppliments. My hair is pretty long and i don't want to get it cut because I am afraid of how it will look, but its just receding in the front.

6. sam

sam Well-Known Member

I agree completely, with the addition that if you're a white guy, get some sun so you don't look like a cancer patient.

7. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Well-Known Member

Wow is that ironic. Recommending that someone increase his risk of cancer in order not to look like he has cancer. lol

8. bachbeet

bachbeet Well-Known Member

When I was 15, my friend's older cousin was 18 and he was already very bald on top. Soon he was totally bald, well before 30.

9. dusty

dusty Well-Known Member

Is there a way to tell if your hairline is receding? I suspect mine might be, but if it is, the change is so subtle I can't tell for sure. Do those short hairs on the edge of the hairline mean anything?

10. borjeson

borjeson Member

As per Marc37's nutritoinally-oriented protocol, maintaining a healthy lifestyle and nutritional regimen can maximize one's chances of hair health, however, alas, genetics has an overpowering effect, ultimately. Rogaine is effective in a small % of cases, though it is worth a try. Any results can take several months. As Rogaine can be expensive, the most cost-effective approach would be Costco's own Kirkland house brand of Minoxidil. It's the same formulation as Rogaine and costs pennies per application. Exercise is important to increase circulation. Also, an herb called Saw Palmetto, which is used increasingly to counteract cases of enlarged prostates by lowering DHT in the bloodstream (DHT can trigger male pattern baldness) is finding its way into hairloss regimens. Saw Palmetto is essentially an herbal form of Propecia, however without the potential impotence side-effects. A nutritional regimen containing the full complement of anti-oxidants (B, C, E, Selenium, etc) would be advisable, too.

11. borjeson

borjeson Member

Sorry, I neglected to mention that the nutrients biotin and cysteine are important for good hair health, and you might want to include some MSM in your diet, which is a form of sulfur, recognized as an important constituent of health of hair, skin, and nails. Berries are an excellent dietary source of anti-oxidants, which in addition to promoting good hair, contribute mightily to overall good physical health.

12. bachbeet

And American Crew sells a specific line for men called Revitalize. Shampoo, conditioner and a spray. All contain copper peptide which, evidently, helps prevent hair loss. I read that science found that as we age, our hair looses its copper peptide content and dies and falls out. Plus, my doctor who did my hair transplant recommends products with copper peptide. I don't take propecia because of the impotence side effects. Then again, that little blue pill should counter any of that stuff. [​IMG]

13. tjmaglio

tjmaglio Active Member

I'd think the easiest way is to look at an old picture of yourself and compare that hairline to the current one. Otherwise, you'll notice lots of hair failling out when you comb/brush your hair and when you shower.

14. tjmaglio

tjmaglio Active Member

Did you have the misfortune of experiencing this side effect? I ask because I've yet to have any such trouble and I've been on it for a year at this point. Nor have I developed "bitch tits" which some people claim to have sprouted as a result from taking it. True, the pill is supposed to halt any recession but it's important to keep your stress level at a minimum as well.

15. bachbeet

maglio wrote: "Did you have the misfortune of experiencing this side effect?"

No. But, I just don't really want to see if I do.

Since you've used it for a year, what are your results? Regrown hair? Thicker? What?

16. tjmaglio

tjmaglio Active Member

It's slowed my recession down quite a bit. Propecia doesn't grow your hair though. For that you need other solutions like Rogaine.

I almost forgot to mention it but Nizoral shampoo (2%) supposedly helps fight the recession so if you're weary of injesting anything that's an option along with that copper peptide shampoo.

17. coachvu

coachvu Well-Known Member

I had a short bout of hair thinning in college, but my doctor was able to completely halt it. If you go to a doctor and he immediately prescribed medication, I would leave. Go to someone who is involved in research on this, which means he's usually associated with a university. Rogaine and other meds have some pretty serious side effects and are usually last resorts. My doc first made me switch to different shampoos. Normal brands leave a residue that can cause hair loss. Also, fungal growth can cause hair loss, and certain shampoos are better at this. Nizoral, Free and Clear, Neutrogena T-Gel, and generic dandruff shampoo are all excellent. My doc made me use a dilute solution of these. Shampoo does not need to foam to clean, and this can just lead to excess accumulation of scum on your scalp. I had to try this for three months, alternating a different shampoo for each month, and then brush my hair each morning for thirty seconds, collecting all the hairs. After examining them, he determined that I didn't have a fungus or anything like that. I had just gone through a stressful period at school, and he felt that could be the cause. Since then, no problems.

18. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Well-Known Member

I can say that because I started going bald around 23 due to alopecia, a condition that affects men and women. It's not genetic, but some folks get it and that's that. There are treatments, but they primarily slow down the loss, not grow more hair. Your dermatologist can help you with that.

As a black man, being bald isn't that big a deal (I'd been bald before). For white men, it's a relatively new trend for younger men to shave their heads. Someone mentioned keeping it short to reduce its appearance. Think Jason Statham (The Transporter).

19. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

As a black man, being bald isn't that big a deal (I'd been bald before). For white men, it's a relatively new trend for younger men to shave their heads. Someone mentioned keeping it short to reduce its appearance. Think Jason Statham (The Transporter).

Yeah, Jason Statham looks really cool with a shaved head. The look works best if you have a strong jawline, and your head isn't too funny-shaped.

I read somewhere that Michael Jordan really mainstreamed the shaved head look w/ black men.

20. Soph

Soph Well-Known Member

Best prevention:
    Propecia or 1/4 a tab of proscar (same drug and more cost effective)
    ---If you still have follicular minitrized hair it will grow/strengthen your existing hairs.

Avodart: Inhibits both pathways, will grow more hair hands down, however, it is not indicated nor has it long term studies like proecia/proscar.

Nizoral is cheap and has some effect.

----------------------------------------
    Outside of these you arn't really dealing with hard science.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    For young guys, the state of the art hairtransplantation is being done to amazing results: Each natural follicurlar unit is removed leaving no linear scar, virtually imperceptible to the naked eye. Until cloning/hair farming, which shows alot of promise within the next 5 years, propecia/proscar is your best defense.

http://forhair.com/
    ---This practice is one of the few/most ethical I've heard of as one of my friends had it done, and he looks freaking amazing.

Shaving one's head should always be tried to see if it is a good look on you as some men can look tremendous especially athetic, strong jawed and darker skin.