1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Going back to NYC in a few weeks. Lunch/Dinner Recs?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Eustace, Apr 3, 2012.

1. ryansmith

ryansmith Well-Known Member

Recette for dinner

2. ac21686

ac21686 Well-Known Member

Grimaldi's is merely decent, would skip it. Would be silly to wait in line very long for it anyway, although I did happen to read that the pizza is better at its new location. For Neopolitan pizza, try Motorino, Keste, Forcella, Don Antonio or perhaps Co. off the top of my head. Co. and Motorino have solid appetizers in addition to pizza if that matters.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  3. Eustace

Eustace Well-Known Member

Figured NY pie was a must. Anybody been to Danny Brown Wine Bar or Kin Shop? A friend raved about both.

4. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

are the two blue hills really that different? i enjoyed my time at stone barns and wondered how the one in the city would be

just because it's a tourist trap doesn't mean it's not good.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Yes, BHSB is far better food and on a completely different level in terms of decor and overall enjoyment. I have no interest in going back to BH in the Village but always want to go to BHSB at least once a year.

6. indesertum

my gf joked that if we told them we didnt like beets they would have had to have given us a totally different menu

7. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

BHSB is much more than a "local food thing". I agree it the concept is not unique or necessarily the best (though they did win the James Beard award a couple years ago), but I believe it is probably the only such place that is a 40 minute drive from over 8 million people. Do you know that Rockefeller donated 80 or more acres for this project and that he created a fund to pay the $300k/year in lost taxes to the county? Such a place so close to NYC could only exist because of his support.

Yes.

:slayer:

8. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

Once, my dining partner told them she didn't like beets when they brought a beet dish. I ate mine and they made a extra course for both of us.

1 person likes this.
  9. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Ate at Kin Shop last week and this may sound weird but I don't know if I like the place or not.
    Small, edited menu, but the food didn't impress me that much. The staff is very indifferent. Everything we tried that the waiter suggested was mediocre. Might go back for another try but I'm not in a hurry.

Still haven't found NY style pizza in NY that is better than I can get elsewhere.

How about going to Babbo?

10. indesertum

otto or eataly is great too.

eataly might be more fun

11. 454Casull

454Casull Well-Known Member

I loved Luzzo's when I was there. The one in East Village, I think.

12. Eustace

It sounds like they still might be trying to get their wheels, and they are not quite there yet. I may hold off until next visit.

You may be right RE: pizza but for me it's more about nostalgia. Every time I've been (for leisure) I get pizza and Katz's/2nd Avenue Deli. Pizza may be replicated but a NY Deli cannot.

I ate at Babbo a couple of years ago, and while it was very good, I'd rather eat somewhere I haven't been. I honestly am not sure if I'll ever go back.

13. StockwellDay

StockwellDay Well-Known Member

I second Sorella -- make sure to save room for the salted carmel cheesecake served over a chocolate covered pretzel with a side of milk sorbet.

Though this could devolve into a long debate, my favorite pizza in the city can be found on the 'Shroomtown (marinara with cheese, white truffle oil, portobellow, shitake and button mushrooms) at Vezzo, Spunto, and Posto (all have the same menu).

Click for a pic:

[​IMG]

14. Eustace

That pizza looks great.

Sorella or Barbuto or both?

What about Cafe Boulud for Sunday brunch? I was thinking we could hit that and then do the Met/Park in the afternoon.

15. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Both (if you don't mind doing Italian twice)

Cafe Boulud: food is great, ambiance is geriatric IME. I would rather go to the other side of the park at Jean-Georges or Nougatine

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  16. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

+1, though on the east side I'd say Cafe Boulud is the best. Brunch for $39 is a good deal, but watch out for the $19 mimosas :plain:.

On the west side, it's a toss up between JG, Nougatine, Bar Boulud, and Boulud Sud. I had a really great brunch at Boulud Sud a few months ago.

17. ehkay

ehkay Well-Known Member

I think JG is closed on Sunday's though, so that could weigh into his decision.

18. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

Nougatine is a better setting for a Sunday brunch anyway

19. Eustace

Italian is my favorite, so I don't mind, coupled with the fact that the cuisine appears different enough. I feel geriatric these days, so perhaps Cafe Boulud will work.

If you could eat at any of them, which would it be?

20. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

I would need a four sided coin to toss, but at the moment I'm craving some Bar Boulud. Tomorrow might be Nougatine, who knows. Any of them will be great.

If you're on the west side, stop by Epicerie Boulud to pick up some snacks and sweets.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012