• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gloves

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... capeskin gloves (don't know the relationship to kidskin) ....
cape·skin
noun 

sheepskin leather: a soft light leather made from South African sheepskin

[Cape from the Cape of Good Hope]

...copied from some online dictionary...MS Encarta or something.

/andrew

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And, this is the very reason why I refuse to buy anything too nice. I know eventually I will end up losing it or getting a stain on it.

andreyb

Reaction score
I ordered two pairs of bespoke Merola gloves (although not for me, but for my girlfriend). Here are the facts:

* 100 euros for two pairs (one cashmere lined and another one unlined), including postage
* 1.5 months wait (one month for exchange of e-mails / making, 2 weeks for postage)
* they don't accept credit cards. You have to pay either via Wester Union or by bank transfer
* handstitched
* wide selection of colours / leathers / styles etc. (they are bespoke makers, after all)
* they fit the hands of my girlfriend like... a glove.
* I never visited Rome and ordered from Moscow (using e-mail and a fax machine)

In conclusion: highly satisfied, recommended.

Hope that helps.

Andrey

P.S.: Don't order in august. There are no one there in this month.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No real opinion on the matter, except that once I lose an item in a particular category (such as umbrellas) twice, I typically give up and never replace that item.

I decided to pipe in just to finish Corneille's verse:

Ô rage . ô dÃ
00a9.png
sespoir . ô vieillesse ennemie .
N'ai-je donc tant vÃ
00a9.png
cu que pour cette infamie ?

Don Diègue, Le Cid, Acte I, Scène IV

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I decided to pipe in just to finish Corneille's verse:

Ô rage . ô dÃ
00a9.png
sespoir . ô vieillesse ennemie .
N'ai-je donc tant vÃ
00a9.png
cu que pour cette infamie ?

Don Diègue, Le Cid, Acte I, Scène IV
Magnifique. Merci infiniment... en verite je connaissais ce vers de par Edward Gorey.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
I ordered two pairs of bespoke Merola gloves (although not for me, but for my girlfriend). Here are the facts:

* 100 euros for two pairs (one cashmere lined and another one unlined), including postage
* 1.5 months wait (one month for exchange of e-mails / making, 2 weeks for postage)
* they don't accept credit cards. You have to pay either via Wester Union or by bank transfer
* handstitched
* wide selection of colours / leathers / styles etc. (they are bespoke makers, after all)
* they fit the hands of my girlfriend like... a glove.
* I never visited Rome and ordered from Moscow (using e-mail and a fax machine)

In conclusion: highly satisfied, recommended.

Hope that helps.

Andrey

P.S.: Don't order in august. There are no one there in this month.
Andrey,

Thank you for all the information. A few questions, if you don't mind:
(1) Was an outline of your girlfriend's hands sufficient for Merola to determine size?
(2) How did you end up describing the style? Their website seems to show only a limited number of styles.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Quick tip: If you ever leave something at a restaurant, bar, club, etc... Don't ever say "I'm calling to see if you found a pair of Hermes gloves that I left there last night."

Instead, say "I spoke with one of your managers last night, and they told me to call this afternoon to pick up the pair of gloves that was left there last night." Say this regardless of where such a conversation ever existed.
You got that right. No place I called knows anything more than that I'm looking for a pair of black leather gloves. At this point, some lucky bastard has probably discovered they are Hermes. Oh well.

andreyb

Reaction score
Thank you for all the information.  A few questions, if you don't mind:
(1) Was an outline of your girlfriend's hands sufficient for Merola to determine size?
(2) How did you end up describing the style?  Their website seems to show only a limited number of styles.
TimelessRider,

Mr Merola asked me the outline of both hands and the width of the hands at the widest point, excluding thumb. These measurements were sufficient.

My girlfriend's gloves was surely made on order, although I'm not 100% sure that they draw an individual pattern for her.

Regarding style -- I simply selected one of the available on the website.

Andrey

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At this point, some lucky bastard has probably discovered they are Hermes. Â Oh well.
You had to know this was coming... If the gloves don't fit, you must acquit.
tounge.gif

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chester Jeffries.

I can't seem to find their url through google, but it's been posted here or on Ask Andy.

I bought my wife a pair of MTM gloves from them for Christmas and was very happy with them, as was she. They are red capeskin with a fur lining, handsewn (remarkable work) and were cheap by English standards, only about ten pounds more than Dents.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
Here you go:

Edit: This is not the one you were referring to - sorry

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
Very weird that I can't find the contact info for 55 Wall - I know its their "ballroom" location so maybe its not advertised as much as the other locations. I would call either one of these locations and ask them for the number: http://www.cipriani.com/cipriani/Locs/ny.htm Panzer

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chester Jeffries.

I can't seem to find their url through google, but it's been posted here or on Ask Andy.

I bought my wife a pair of MTM gloves from them for Christmas and was very happy with them, as was she. They are red capeskin with a fur lining, handsewn (remarkable work) and were cheap by English standards, only about ten pounds more than Dents.
They make great gloves.

alflauren

Reaction score
I ordered a few pair of Chester Jefferies gloves in the early spring and received them last month. I am very, very pleased, and highly recommend them. If you request their paper order form from the website, you can draw an outline of your hand on it and send it back to them. The quality of the leather is outstanding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads