1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gloves Fit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ffatt, Dec 15, 2012.

1. ffatt

ffatt Well-Known Member

Hello Gents,

This might be a strange question to ask, but how do you determine how a pair of gloves should fit? I am trying to decide between Size 8 or 9. I have ordered both of them and planning on keeping one. With the size 8 my fingers just touch the tips of the glove fingers, the palm fits comfortably snug as well. Its just that when I close my fist it takes a bit of pressure to do it (not a problem holding a cup though) as opposed to size 9, but the size 9 is roomy in the palm and I have at least 0.25 to 0.5 inch room at the fingertips. You would think with expressions like " fits like a glove" it would be easy to tell, but I really can't. I like the slim fit of the 8 and am thinking the leather will soften up over time and fit my hand even better.

2. ffatt

ffatt Well-Known Member

Anyone? Also considering 8.5 if you guys think 8 isn't normal

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  3. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

If you buy gloves with high quality leather they stretch, so it isn't the biggest deal if they start off a bit snug.

Here's how to measure, go with it. Unless you know a certain brand fits differently.

[​IMG]

4. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

i go off overall feel and the length of the finger. and ,if in-between sizes , go for the undersized to accomodate stretching

5. Stirling

Stirling Well-Known Member

Yep

6. Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude Member

If you live somewhere cold, a bit of room in the gloves is quite a good thing as it is the air in the gloves, not the gloves themself, that makes you stay warm. (And I thought nothing I learned in the army was usefull in the real world)

7. ffatt

ffatt Well-Known Member

I eventually settled for an 8...but, am now considering getting a pair of Pecarry Leather for my next glove from the same company. I will now have access to half sizes. I am posting pictures of Size 8 and 9 and based on that should I continue with 8 or size up to 8.5. Does Pecarry stretch and is roughly the same thickness as lambskin (seen in pictures - click to enlarge)? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Using the following measuring technique I get 8 1/4

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  8. ffatt

ffatt Well-Known Member

Updated with the fist pics if it helps and if anybody has any further opinions. Promise to shut up and order soon.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  9. Jellybean

Jellybean Active Member

A few years ago a sales assistant in Budd's told me to put gloves on, spread my fingers and I should be able to drum upon the leather stretched across the palm.

He told me that this was the sign of a well-fitting glove!