1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Glen Plaid Sports Coat...the pants mystery.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cloose, Feb 12, 2013.

1. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

some grey odd jackets:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth lol

3. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Well-Known Member

that is awesome, and hilariously accurate

4. steveoly

steveoly Well-Known Member

Hmm, I have always worn gray odd jackets in patterns like PoW, glen plaid and windowpane and have not had issues pairing them with trousers. It helps to have a little color rather than just black and white. PoW with a little color is probably my favorite. And nearly all of the time they'd be paired with gray trousers, just of a slightly different shade. Light gray trousers work well. Gray odd jackets are a little more novel than a plain navy so you're probably not wearing one more than once a week. However I think they have fit perfectly into a rotation of jackets.

It wasn't too long ago - maybe a couple of years - that plenty of SFers were fawning over pretty plain gray jackets as wardrobe staples. I think there were some Cucinelli ones making the rounds. Anyway a plain gray odd jacket IMO is difficult to pair and looks orphan-like, but patterned gray jackets...go for it.

5. cloose

cloose Member

RD, thank you, I agree on the handsome scale it was one of the better I have come across.

6. BRBeadles

BRBeadles New Member

Should one wear a blue linen plaid blazer with blue striped seersucker pants?

7. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

No. Mixing patterned trousers and patterned jackets is just asking for trouble. If either your jacket or trousers are patterned, the other should be solid.

8. BRBeadles

BRBeadles New Member

Solid tie or floral tie with plaid linen blue jacket and solid white linen pants?

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

^ All of my floral ties are subtle and would likely work with even a relatively bold patterned jacket. Provided the floral pattern on the tie is not too in your face, I think you're fine either way. If in doubt, go with a solid tie.

10. BRBeadles

BRBeadles New Member