• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glen Plaid Sports Coat...the pants mystery.

cloose

Reaction score
Greetings All,
New to the site. Just purchased a grey, Glen Plaid sports coat. While it looks fantastic with black or grey pants, I am curious if anyone has paired such a coat with khaki's for a more informal gathering.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh no.

Balfour

Reaction score
Is this a joke thread?

If not, perhaps post some pictures of the jacket. I doubt a grey odd jacket will get much love, but you will probably get some advice on the the best things to pair with it in the circumstances.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This thread was engineered to break the forum. We are all in grave danger just stepping foot in it.

cloose

Reaction score
Fear not Gents...pics of said coat below. I suspected probably not but wasn't completely sure and wanted feedback.

cloose

Reaction score
Tried to post pics of said coat but the post containing them is being held for the moderator because "I am new." Huh?

cloose

Reaction score
Pretty sure khaki pants this spring or summer wouldn't work but wanted some feedback.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since you're new and possibly not trolling, I'll try to summarize the objections you will meet:

-black trousers should not be worn with this jacket. Black odd trousers, should they be used at all, are an evening wear thing and a glen plaid odd jacket is not.
-grey trousers with grey glen plaid odd jacket is possible if the contrast in greys is big enough and the GP pattern is really well defined, but there are many ways to go wrong so it's likely a fail
- most GP looks like a suit instead of an odd jacket. Personally I have two GP odd jackets, but their patterns are really large, enough that I like them as odd jackets. Many GP odd jackets are not like this though. And I don't really end up wearing my two GP odd jackets that much.
- I can't imagine your grey GP odd jacket and khakis looking good.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find 'em matching trousers.

cloose

Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback. Yes if the pics would ever post you would see that the pattern is big and bold as you indicated and not faint or smaller as in a suit pattern.

cloose

Reaction score
To your first point, I have some nice black, cotton chinos that seem to go very well with the black pattern in the jacket...are you saying this is not acceptable?

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To your first point, I have some nice black, cotton chinos that seem to go very well with the black pattern in the jacket...are you saying this is not acceptable?

Nope. Don't wear black trousers outside of formalwear.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads